When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I bought a new Casio...... Yeah I said a new Casio

plaifender

A new G-shock. GW-7900b-1 I've been eyeing this watch as a workout watch for the last 2 or 3 months. Yesterday I bit the bullet. It's freakin beastly. It's radio-atomic synchronized, and solar powered, so you never have to replace the battery. On a full charge the battery lasts for 9 months without any sunlight! The watch has a tide meter, moon phase, multiple time zone, automatic DST and up to 5 alarms. It also synchronizes itself automatically with one of 6 or 7 atomic radio transmission points across the globe. I've never been a fan of G-shocks till I saw this blacked out model with the screws... it was named number 8 on Time Magazine's list of top ten gadgets of 2009 :)

GW-7900B-1DR-G-RESCUE-GSHOCK-CASIO-WATCH-BLACK.jpg

paired with my other black beast.. The Skyland Blacksteel:

IMG_1516.jpg

IMG_1528.jpg

with the DSSD:

IMG_1527.jpg

IMG_1516.jpg

IMG_1520.jpg

Really similar size to the skyland Blacksteel:

IMG_1531.jpg

Six atomic radio bands.. for being perfectly in sync:

IMG_1533.jpg

Lume is pretty cool and can be set to sense your body movement and automatically light up when the watch is moved and tilted to a "watch glance" position towards the wearers face (of course it has a light sensor that will allow this to happen only when it's in a dark environment):

IMG_1534.jpg

It's got wrist stabilizer straps to keep the watch centered on your wrist:

IMG_1538.jpg

The wrist shot:

IMG_1541.jpg

This watch will be my new travel beater, and workout watch. You guys should see some of the tests they put these g-shocks through!

p.s. Thnx Mastermind for your wrist shots of your Japanese model that really pushed me over the edge! :victory:

This watch will be my new travel beater, and workout watch. You guys should see some of the tests they put these g-shocks through!

It is huge!!!!!!!!!

:o:o:o

The question now is if it will pass the Nanug test :g:

@gran:

Like the comment on the youtube video said... i think this watch would survive 9/11

9/11 Yes! Easy! But will it survive Nanug? ;)

Do you get a complementary 1 month NASA training course on how to operate it?

I'll bet there is an instruction of

"Return to Casio for service"

I would hate to see the service manual if one existed.......the test equipment to work on this thing would be akin to a computer!

Oh well,l another one that watchmakers can't touch!

Offshore

By the nanuq test.. Do you mean rolling over it in your car right?????? if that's the case.. i think there'd be no problem :)

Ahhhhh, that's merely one of many increasingly sinister tests.

teetering.jpg

whoops.jpg

still_ticking.jpg

break_chair.jpg

oomph.jpg

final_test.jpg

thermal_test1.jpg

Maybe it has an OBD port like a car.

Looks like an alienware desktop PC strapped to your wrist!

THIS is a casio :bicycle:

IMG_1074R.jpg

nice watch P4.. but i think you missed the point.. The main reason for buying this watch.. was it's indestructibility factor... I have enough "diving" watches.. and i need something that i can jog in.. that has TIMER, Chronograph, and alarm functions. The watch i bought has all of those features and can withstant getting run over by a tank.. On top of that... if I'm ever stranded on a desolate island.. the watch would keep perfect time forever and i'd know the moon cycles!!! :)

Congrats on an excellent choice!

Didn't know it made Time's Top ten gadgets though - excellent, thanks for the info!

It's definitely my favorite and FIRST G-shock ever. It's absolutely amazing. I love it

The tough solar feature is pretty amazing. The fact that It should theoretically never need battery changing or lose a second for the life of the watch.. is pretty incredible :)

here's the time article: http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1945379_1944278_1944299,00.html

Awesome piece, amigo :) Out of curiosity, how does it wear with the stabilizer straps? Would you say it increases or decreases wearer comfort?

Hey T,

The stabilizer wings are extremely comfortable. The watch doesn't move alot on your wrist. Even if you loosen the strap a bit the watch stays centered on the wrist. :)

very nice! i've been contemplating a g-shock for a workout watch as well. i really like this one because of the size and color. what did you pay if you don't mind me asking? thanks.

Hey Wheaton... The watch was 100euros here on sale. Normal price is 140

Hey T,

The stabilizer wings are extremely comfortable. The watch doesn't move alot on your wrist. Even if you loosen the strap a bit the watch stays centered on the wrist. :)

That's cool to hear, as I don't like wearing a watch too tightly, but I wondered how the stabilizers might function if the strap was a bit looser, so that's good to know :):victory: