When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ofrei Pearl

Gorilladame

Hi!

Actually I am looking for a good insert for a 5513 and I want to try the PMWF Insert with a Ofrei Pearl this time.

Is the "Generic Illumines Dot for Bezel Insert" the Ofrei Pearl that you guys mean with "pearl"?

Another thing I am wondering about is if the only way to order a PMWF insert is really by email...

Thanks for your help!!

I had 2 Ofrie pearls and PMWF inserts on the two 1665 i built, they wont age that is for sure, the pearls really glow well out of the box but you could soak then in alcohol and then refill them, if you are ordering some in i may go for one for a rainy day, I am sure the more we order the cheaper the shipping gets.

As far as I can tell, Ofrei's illumines dot (pearl) is exactly the same as the current pearls Rolex fits during servicing. However, when it comes to trying to mimic a vintage gen pearl, I have come to the conclusion that it makes more sense to bite the bullet & buy a vintage gen pearl than it is to expend the time & effort to try to replicate them with aftermarket pearls (which never quite look the same as a naturally patina-ed gen)

002-2.jpg

(gen)

003-1.jpg

(gen)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

it makes more sense to bite the bullet & buy a vintage gen pearl than it is to expend the time & effort to try to replicate them with aftermarket pearls

Better sit down... I invested in a gen vintage tritium pearl for the DRSD and glued it in... and it was lost. Man that hurts. Condolences please.

So I bought Yuki's pearl and drilled out the yak-pee yellow, polished it up, and refilled it with "bone" (ivory) appliance paint.

Presto... it doesn't glow and the ivory is a perfect match to my hands and indices. Cheap too.

Better sit down... I invested in a gen vintage tritium pearl for the DRSD and glued it in... and it was lost. Man that hurts. Condolences please.

Many condolences....

I have taken to using a super THIN application of "JB Weld" to help keep Pearl and Bezel attached. So far, so good.

Hmmmmmmm, interesting. I think cyanoacrylate (superglue) is a great adhesive but it's brittle. So in environments where it's flexed (like messing with your bezel) it lets go.

A flexible adhesive might be better. Silicon rubber? Hmmmmmmm.

Ouch.

Hmmmmmmm, interesting. I think cyanoacrylate (superglue) is a great adhesive but it's brittle. So in environments where it's flexed (like messing with your bezel) it lets go.

A flexible adhesive might be better. Silicon rubber? Hmmmmmmm.

I think epoxy would be best as it will never let go. Of course, if you bang the pearl against something & it smashes, you may have to literally grind the remaining bits out. :drinks: