When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

TGIF wristcheck

Cats

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

...you can take pictures without a flash, even after midnight...

bond_sub_midnight_1.jpg

Ah yes, I remember the "Midnight Sun Softball League" when I lived in Fairbanks...

I'm sticking with this one, now sporting it's new Clarks T12, for the rest of the week at least...

wrist.JPG

Very nice watch! What is her story? Ta

Thanks mjmj, that one belonged to a SpecOps troop ... it was issued to him by the military. Because it's a recognizable brand, it was also considered "currency" in case they got in a jam. They could sell their watches anywhere in the world and get funds to get back home.

I used to cut and split quite a lot of wood with him, and would admire it as we worked. Well, he finally passed away ... can't really say he died, he was too ornery for that. Let's just say this world got tired of putting up with him.

At his funeral his widow found me and handed me something wrapped up in a rag, saying he wanted me to have it. I unwrapped it and just held my breath. He was a cantankerous old fart, and it was beat to hell and back, but it meant a lot that he wanted me to have it.

Now, many years later, it's getting close to being presentable again. Anyone have a gen bezel they want to sell cheap? :tu:

Wow pure base perfection

Thanks bro! Something about simplistic dials...it's one of my absolute favorites! I've spent the most time on this watch personally tweaking it...so thanks for the kind words! :drinks:

Quote.

$1,500 is still a bit much for a homeless guy, but nevertheless, it's a bargain for the money :)

------------------------------------------------------

I bet this one ends at less than $720.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Perrelet-Reserve-Marche-Swiss-Auto-Men-Watch-A1017-B-/250657835822?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Wristwatches&hash=item3a5c5f0b2e

Thanks mjmj, that one belonged to a SpecOps troop ... it was issued to him by the military. Because it's a recognizable brand, it was also considered "currency" in case they got in a jam. They could sell their watches anywhere in the world and get funds to get back home.

I used to cut and split quite a lot of wood with him, and would admire it as we worked. Well, he finally passed away ... can't really say he died, he was too ornery for that. Let's just say this world got tired of putting up with him.

At his funeral his widow found me and handed me something wrapped up in a rag, saying he wanted me to have it. I unwrapped it and just held my breath. He was a cantankerous old fart, and it was beat to hell and back, but it meant a lot that he wanted me to have it.

Now, many years later, it's getting close to being presentable again. Anyone have a gen bezel they want to sell cheap? :tu:

Sounds a resemblance of the double red. Surely not the same guy. So, different friends different Subs?

Either way I'm confused as to what Nanuq's current watchbox is looking like. Curious as to what our other admin's daily watch drawer is looking like these days, too. :whistling:

Sounds a resemblance of the double red. Surely not the same guy. So, different friends different Subs?

Either way I'm confused as to what Nanuq's current watchbox is looking like. Curious as to what our other admin's daily watch drawer is looking like these days, too. :whistling:

My current watch box? Oh, a liddle-a-dis and a liddle-o-dat... :whistling:

You're right, the stories are similar. The 6536 came from a cantankerous old fart who owned it from day 1. The DR came from a real great guy who owned it from day 1. The first guy was a commando type diver, the second guy was a commercial diver and instructor. First guy never had kids, second guy never had 'em. Both liked working with their hands, cutting wood, taking care of their missus. Both pretty much lived loner lives out on the fringe of society, taking big risks. Solid gents, both of them. But one died and his wife was glad to see him go (partially joking) and the other... when he died it just devastated her. He had a huge heart.

You know that SeaLab thing? He was there and helped build it. Jacques Cousteau? Diving buddies. Orange DOXA watches in the 60s and 70s? He helped them get the design right; they gave him one as a thank-you. He's been to the bottom of every sea with the DR, every large body of water as far as I know. Classified missions beneath the ice cap, worked the North Sea oil manifolds, you name it. That DR earned its scars. He's watched crystals blow off watches in chambers and he's been to 2,000' in chambers more times than you can shake a stick at. Years and years ago I asked him if I could borrow the DR for a dinner out, and swore up and down I'd get it back to him pronto. His reply? "I trust you with my life. Do you think I care about a watch?" That's who he was. Great guy.

i got word yesterday that my genuine omega mesh bracelet has arrived, so i'm going with the ploprof. i'll pick it up on my way home from work today and snap a couple of pictures!

as promised, here are the pics of the genuine mesh. i put it on the rep deployment and it fits my wrist perfectly! i'm really enjoying the look and it's much more comfortable than the rubber strap. hagw.

P7020004.jpg

P7020006.jpg

P7020005.jpg

No change here, still wearing the usual beater :) The weather's been in the high 20s, sometimes a bit humid, and I've been in the pool a few times, and I have to say, the Tropic-style strap from Modena really is the ideal strap for this kind of weather, and well worth every penny :) Fantastic quality, at a price even I could afford :lol:

Great story. Thank you for sharing. Its a beautiful watch.

My current watch box? Oh, a liddle-a-dis and a liddle-o-dat... :whistling:

You're right, the stories are similar. The 6536 came from a cantankerous old fart who owned it from day 1. The DR came from a real great guy who owned it from day 1. The first guy was a commando type diver, the second guy was a commercial diver and instructor. First guy never had kids, second guy never had 'em. Both liked working with their hands, cutting wood, taking care of their missus. Both pretty much lived loner lives out on the fringe of society, taking big risks. Solid gents, both of them. But one died and his wife was glad to see him go (partially joking) and the other... when he died it just devastated her. He had a huge heart.

You know that SeaLab thing? He was there and helped build it. Jacques Cousteau? Diving buddies. Orange DOXA watches in the 60s and 70s? He helped them get the design right; they gave him one as a thank-you. He's been to the bottom of every sea with the DR, every large body of water as far as I know. Classified missions beneath the ice cap, worked the North Sea oil manifolds, you name it. That DR earned its scars. He's watched crystals blow off watches in chambers and he's been to 2,000' in chambers more times than you can shake a stick at. Years and years ago I asked him if I could borrow the DR for a dinner out, and swore up and down I'd get it back to him pronto. His reply? "I trust you with my life. Do you think I care about a watch?" That's who he was. Great guy.

Thats legendary, thanks for sharing. Hearing it in person while having a look at that DR would be good times, I'm willing to bet.

Long live the Abyss! What a looker. They say good things come in (cough) pairs, but that piece is one of a kind.

P4, next time you get up this way look me up. We'll cook some bear steaks on the deck and talk gnarly old scarred watches over some fine amber ale. :tu:

edit: better hurry, a BIG dang black bear just walked across my driveway about 2 minutes ago! How cool is that!

as promised, here are the pics of the genuine mesh. i put it on the rep deployment and it fits my wrist perfectly! i'm really enjoying the look and it's much more comfortable than the rubber strap. hagw.

P7020005.jpg

I couldn't really make out the pics on the iPhone last night, but that is not only a winning combo, but that clasp really looks the business, no-one would ever guess it was a rep part, it really sets the mesh off perfectly :victory: