When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Will It Blend; Rolex Submariner

Somebody is offering to sell their 1999 submariner...It looks like its been through the war and back....First of all what do you guys think of its authenticity. 2. How much would you pay for it....

Thanks a Ton

Given it is the saphire model, you can trade in RSC.. I wouldn't offer more than 3.3k factoring all the costs for a RSC service & replacing all parts..

feel sorry for the watch :wounded1:

flex

$3.3K?

You're kidding, right? :shock:

Here's one in very good condition condition for $3.6K.

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=5173861&rid=0

For that beat up watch (with possibly damaged dial) I would pay $1.2-1.4K MAX.

That sounds about correct.

Can you get better shots of the dial?

You can always get a new insert and rework the case and bracelet but dials are tough to get (and expensive).

Probably a pretty good deal at 1400.00. It looks like it needs a little TLC!!, but a new insert, a good cleaning and a light polish would make a world of difference. I'm saying this considering that the movement is clean and hasn't been wet, and the dial is OK, and what we are seeing are scratches on the crystal. The bracelet looks like it is stretched pretty good, but there are used replacement bracelets around as well as a couple of folks who do amazing restoration work on bracelets for a lot less than a new one.If it's been wet and/or the dial is damaged, then all bets are off. I see watches with wear, but in much nicer shape with B&P's for around 3300-3600 on the genuine watch sales forums all the time. What one would need to do is factor in the worse case scenario as to costs and see what the final tally would be. It's easy to get lured in to a cheap price on the front side only to find out that once you get it restored to "good' condition, you have more money invested than had you went out and bought a well cared for watch.

It's gen and I'd buy it at $1400. The dial is probably OK and since it's tritium, it probably still glows- my 16800 has a dial from that time frame and it glows fine.

But you'll spend $1000 at the RSC w/o the bracelet.

service- $500, includes new crown and tube

crystal

bezel insert (might need a new bezel also)

polish case

If you didn't go to the RSC, you might get it cleaned up and serviced for $500-750.

New bracelets are around $1000, but you can pick up a decent used one w/ the correct 501B end pieces for around $500-600.

Alli, That's about what I figured. you can get a good service, bezel insert and crystal for 500-750 USD if you find a nice competent watchmaker who has access to genuine Rolex parts.Bracelet for another 500 if you look around. So you will have a pretty nice Submariner for 1400.00 + say another 1300, so for a total of 2700.00 you're in business. Another thing, you could get the watch done and wait and get a bracelet later, so you could be wearing this one for probably 2000-2100 USD. I'd spring for that in a heartbeat.

Im buying it to fix it and sell it...I have the bezel, crystal and now all i need is a damn sub bracelet but dont want to spend 700bucks on ebay....Must wait, until then its a fraken gen sub....with my WM9 bracelet

:-)_

Imho...$1400 is Ok but it's probably worth more for parts than as a running watch in current condition.

Complete case will bring about $400, movement about $1200, dial/hands at least $200 if Ok, bracelet/clasp about $200.

Part it out for around $2k. You might not make $600 on it after fixing it up and all the hassles.

Had an open face 50mm omega 17 jewel pocket watch yesterday with 42.5 gram 14kyg case. Needed a balance staff, cleaning, crystal, and hands.

Worth more for scrap than as a running watch in this economy.