When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1016 Space-Dweller: Rep/Gen Comparison Photos

lhooq

Follow-up to 1016 Project 3: Space-Dweller.

There aren't too many photos of real Space-Dwellers out there on the Internet, so I thought I'd make a few comparison shots using that handful of gen shots as a reference. That turned out to be way more time-consuming than I'd expected, and attempting to match angles, lighting &c. was... challenging. The worst part was waiting for the sweep hand, then realizing I was out of focus!

Interesting to note that as good as this dial is, the basic colors appear to be incorrect. It's a very good match for those two huge Antiquorum shots, but more naturally lit photos suggest the text and minute markers may be gilt or slightly yellowish. The only exception is the "SPACE-DWELLER", which is printed in white or silver. Maybe there's more than one type of Space-Dweller dial? Doubt it, but you never know. Also, I could really use longer hands!

Here are the results:

959486694_KKsLY-X3.jpg

959486772_xE2Rz-X3.jpg

959486350_Wjnkj-X3.jpg

959486482_qnpoc-X3.jpg

959486125_FECBh-X3.jpg

959486220_ZXjRG-X3.jpg

959486528_QkewG-X3.jpg959486553_XACZQ-X3.jpg

958286319_HEe2u-X3.jpg

958286398_Zk2Wb-X3.jpg

Regarding hands, you'd think that after almost 60 years of Submariners (and maybe 40 years of fake Subs) that someone could get them exactly right! I have a set of Clark hands waiting for a relume to match the dial. The frames are thinner, resulting in a larger lumed area and eliminating the Yuki's "Fat Mercedes". However, the lengths of the hour and minute hands are about the same as the Yukis. The problem with Clark hands is the sweep, which is significantly shorter, and has too small a pip. I may have to mix'n'match for now, but I will continue to camp out at the Vintage Rolex Market for a set of old Tudor hands.