When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Cartel DSSD Helium Value - Presure tested

denimhead

Thought i should put forward my experience on this version of the watch as there has been a few question marks over the whole Helium Value situation on these Reps.

Recieved a very nice unused latest 'Cartel Swiss eta powered DSSD Ultimate' from Seafoam, took it to my local watch guy to have it pressure tested.The outcome was that its definatly watertight to 30m so no need to mod the watch. I have to say this really is the best rep Ive ever seen,quite incredible.

Could i really justify spending

Denimhead,

Can you do me a favor and check the serial # on the rehaut at 6 o'clock?

I'm curious whether the cartel watch is from the noob factory. If so, the Serial # should be M646829.

This may have been discussed before, but if so, I can't find it.

Thanks,

Mike

Hi Mike,

Yes it is

Cheers DH

Hi guys

I also had my DSSD (from Mary at watch international 'best' version Swiss eta etc etc) pressure tested yesterday and it's the same as above. Passed with flying colours. Just checked the serial number and again, the same as above, so Mary's version would also seem to be from noob factory...

Just thought I'd share that

Laters

A

I was under the impression these DSSD's He valves were faux. The case inside in some are just solid. That means you only have the caseback and screw down crown to worry about. Those are usually good for more than 100m water resistance. Most dive reps where screw down crowns are the same.

All of the DSSD that i have seen all have a real valve. Most modders use epoxy on the inside of the case to seal it all up just in case. You may be thinking of the old 1665 sea-dwellers from MBW that had the fake valve etched on the outside of the case, or a very cheap canal street version of the DSSD.

dizz

My only concern about watch testing is that sometimes the machines are good to test the integrity of the case, assuming that there is no valve operating.. if there is a valve operating they are should take into consideration the differential of the pressure (ie it should be testing the case with higher pressure on the outside of the case)

I'm not completely clear about this and will stand corrected if someone more knowledgable chimes in. With the traditional pump up waterproof tester, the watch is suspended above the water while the pressure is raised to X atmospheres. The watch is allowed to stay in this position for 3-5 minutes.This is to give the pressurized air time to find it's way inside the watch IF it has any leaks. The watch is then lowered into the water. If air has entered through a seal, gasket or crystal, the air will begin to escape and form a trail of small bubbles as the pressure is SLOWLY lowered. If this stream of bubbles is observed the watch must be removed from the water before the pressure is released completely, as it indicates a leak. Now here is the problem as I see it with the DSSD's helium escape valve (HEV). If the valve operates backwards as we know some do, while the watch is suspended above the water, pressurized air will enter through the HEV, as it opens inward. When you lower the watch into the water and begin to release the pressure, the watch will NOT leak around the HEV as the pressure inside will keep it closed. WOW you say, my watch is waterproof! Unfortunately, that is not the case, as the air inside the watch kept the HEV closed. If however you take this same watch underwater, at some depth, and probably not too deep, the pressurized WATER will enter the watch through the inward opening HEV. In the tester, the pressurized air isn't going to harm your watch, but if you flood it with seawater, it's toast! I believe that before I took one of these into the ocean, I would be darn sure it has a functioning HEV that opens outward under air (Helium) pressure inside the watch, or the HEV has been sealed with epoxy.

Does this make sense? I just received a call Friday from a respected watch person here on the forum who has my ETZ 2010 DSSD (the latest model that ETZ shipped out to just a few folks before disappearing). I sent it to him to epoxy seal the HEV as it opened inward with very little pressure. He told me that he would not recommend using this watch for scuba or even snorkeling, due to the design of the watch. I had a really bad cell phone connection, and was in somewhat of a hurry, so i really didn't understand just what the problem was, however I will be happy to call him and have him elaborate further. If I'm not mistaken just from the physical appearance of the watch I believe that it is probably an MBW or a Noobfactory watch.

I'm just adding this post as a note of caution to all who have DSSD's. I would hate to have someone think that they had a water resistant watch when in fact it isn't.