When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Sorry to say this, but I am sick and tired of seeing our members being ripped off

Justasgood

Thanks for the heads up Kurt, knowledge is power.

It is finally nice to have a "baseline" on pricing these components. Looks like I overpaid big time on a non-Superdome. :(

Thanks again for all your contributions Kurt! :tu:

No, As far is i understand JaG is sad the old spirit of helping a brother out without gain, and spreading this spirit out is losing vs the gain as much from another brother.

Yeah, I see now. :) The crux of this is guys who obtain parts at favourable prices or free and then post it up for full market (Rep) price. And that J had passed on these parts to some of these members as a favour or very cheaply and they had now sold these on at hugely large mark ups....

Now thats low......:thumbdown:

To all: If you see this kind of behavior in the sales forum, you can always point it out publicly.

That's why our sales forums are open.

Do not let bad sellers to take advantage of our membership. Same thing when you see a misrepresented watch... do not PM the mods and complain it in pm, but reply it in that very sales thread. Even when you're not 100% sure, you have every right to ask questions publicly.

Well, I seem to have made the forum a little more exciting today. Believe me that was not my intention. I actually had a nice conversation with the person that started this thread this morning and I think I understand where he is coming from. When I got access to these crystals (yes more than one) it took me over 3 months to find them. They aren't on eBay, Cousins (Not even listed, or a myriad of other sites except VRF - 7032 Crystal $380.00. I asked several senior members here what they thought a fair price should be. Exact copy of my PM:

"I have access to sealed Tropic 128's from one of my AD's. I have no idea what to sell them for. I can sell a crown or an insert here and there but no clue on something vintage. I'm not looking to screw over any of the members here just make a little here and there to help fund this addiction. If I may ask, what is the going rate for something like this?

I appreciate your time."

I checked DW, Yuki, Phong (his Aftermarket is $125) to see if I could get comparative pricing. After all that, I put it up for sale. I come from the school where you can always go down, but never back up. Also, I didn't hold a gun to anyone's head. The fact remains some people have access to parts that others don't. My last two purchases from here were:

Gen 25-295 C1 - $220

Gen 25-295 C2 - $250 (Ever see any of these around?)

And finally:

Gen sealed 16610 Insert from an AD - $200

Nobody made me pay that for these parts. I paid it because that's what the market bore for me. If someone can get $20 Gen inserts and $18 crystals, Good for them! I can't. I know what these cost me.

All the Tech Info I posted in the tech area is sold on eBay for over $200. I have spent the better part of 3 months scanning tech manuals of 32 different brands producing over 16GB (not MB) of data. I also have the Matsys Watchmaker Database system for those of you that knows what that is. I'm sure I could sell all of that on here and make some cash. I'm going to post it all for free. My point is, that information (though valuable) didn't cost me anything but a little time. Hell, I never thought I would learn so much from scanning pages. The crystals did cost me.

I don't use one to justify the other. I find this place an incredible haven and have made some very good friends. I try to contribute to the community rather than just taking. But I don't need to justify my motives to anyone on anything I sell. It is what it is, don't like it, don't buy it.

JB

Also would like to add, I am not one of the members that received the generosity of Kurt and turned around to resell.

patinga is a good guy.

And to those concerned, I tried to procure this crystal for MY 7032 coming from Ubi and guess what.......Rolex put the kibosh on my watchmaker's parts order. So, now calling it scarce or rare might be accurate.

The time energy, legwork and even the favors called in account for much of the asking price for some of these not so readily available parts.

I am hoping my watch guy can find an associate that has one in stock for me.

OK, so Rolex parts are heavily overpriced on the gray market, the sky is blue, and hell is hot. But I'm sure as soon as Rolex opens parts kiosks at all shopping malls, or parts vending machines in front of Walmarts, then prices will come down. In the meantime, however, people will continue to pay a premium for scarcity. Nice that you have a buddy with a parts account who provides no mark up. Thanks for the reminder. But that's the exception, not the rule. And, as for members who are reselling parts that were obtained at cost as a big favor (and I stress BIG) by you - VERY uncool.

OK, so Rolex parts are heavily overpriced on the gray market, the sky is blue, and hell is hot. But I'm sure as soon as Rolex opens parts kiosks at all shopping malls, or parts vending machines in front of Walmarts, then prices will come down. In the meantime, however, people will continue to pay a premium for scarcity. Nice that you have a buddy with a parts account who provides no mark up. Thanks for the reminder. But that's the exception, not the rule. And, as for members who are reselling parts that were obtained at cost as a big favor (and I stress BIG) by you - VERY uncool.

Spot on Chief!!!

Kurt, It does my heart good to have a member long on integrety say his piece! I'm all for capitalism yet in this small fraternity a bit of protectionism is way refreshing to say the least! Hope your times improve as I believe they will!....Regards, mcotter

I think Kurt's Rolex dealer is the exception to the rule. I know more than one dealer and I can't get them to sell me parts and I consider them to be friends. I think it is mostly out of fear of being found out by Rolex. So in the end, it is supply vs. demand. I am willing to pay a premium for rare parts (like a gen crystal for my 7032), but everyone has their limits.

I think it would be nice to have a 'sticky' thread in the parts section, or in the respective brand section, with links to sources (other than manufacturer) for gen parts. Also perhaps this thread could have a list, or members could occasionally post updates, of what popular parts are selling for.

This would really reduce the chance of someone jacking the price up when selling a part here, as potential buyers would have more resources to better judge what they may be willing to pay over actual retail...

Knowing what I do regarding this, I can't say I'm terribly shocked by the behavior of some specific individuals. Seems as though making a profit is more important to these people than that of a gesture of kindness or friendship :thumbdown:

Kurt- I know you've got a big heart and have helped many here... You've had the opportunity to make some money at this but instead chose the high road by helping others with your generosity, and oft times with little to no return of the same kindness. It's instances like this that make me wonder what would motivate one to take advantage of someone's kindness like this, but I guess it's really quite clear. Money. That's pretty shallow, and quite sad.

One thing is for sure... Karma's a motherfucker. Those deserving will get their due sooner or later...

Knowing what I do regarding this, I can't say I'm terribly shocked by the behavior of some specific individuals. Seems as though making a profit is more important to these people than that of a gesture of kindness or friendship :thumbdown:

UBI, was that directed at me?