When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

replica fake?

iceberg1459

I'm only speaking for myself, but fake seems to imply low quality... a poor imitation. Obviously not real. Whereas replica implies some level of craftsmanship, some effort to duplicate (or create a REPLICA of) a watch as closely as possible. To me it's the difference between a crappy "Canal St" fake and the current crop of super replicas.

A replica is a copy that is relatively indistinguishable from the original.

A fake is anything made to appear otherwise than it actually is; counterfeit.

use whatever word you want. My old neighbor in atlanta had an original Shelby Cobra. He also had a "replica" one. I guess you could say he also had a fake shelby cobra, but words have a lot more than definitions behind them. They inflect personal feelings and emotions when used. Why say the word monkey.. when you could use the word primate....

Why use the word snake instead of serpent to describe someone...??? You know the answer to your own question. It's pointless to argue why we use some words with certain connotations and other words for other connotations when in the end, they may have the exact same definition.

Homeless vs. Vagabond vs. Hobo.

Wine-o vs. Alcoholic

Booze vs. Alcoholic beverage etc.

I don't get where you're trying to go with this question....

I am with Maxman on this.

A fake watch would look like a watch but, by definition, be a non functional item.

Our watches are not only functional but are replications of genuine high end pieces.

The use of the word fake to describe our watches is not only grammatically incorrect, but also a deliberate attempt to try and degrade them as much as possible.

Ken

A fake watch would look like a watch but, by definition, be a non functional item.

Our watches are not only functional but are replications of genuine high end pieces.

The use of the word fake to describe our watches is not only grammatically incorrect, but also a deliberate attempt to try and degrade them as much as possible.

Ken

Bulls eye Ken,very well said :good:

Ken

+1

words have a lot more than definitions behind them. They inflect personal feelings and emotions when used. Why say the word monkey.. when you could use the word primate....

Why use the word snake instead of serpent to describe someone...??? You know the answer to your own question. It's pointless to argue why we use some words with certain connotations and other words for other connotations when in the end, they may have the exact same definition.

Homeless vs. Vagabond vs. Hobo.

Wine-o vs. Alcoholic

Booze vs. Alcoholic beverage etc.

I think I agree with this - much as I don't like the word 'fake', that is only because of the connotations it has - i.e. trying to be something it's not. A replica is pretty much doing the same thing, but replica sounds like some effort has gone into making it :)

So, use what words you will. The fact remains that those who think that fakes are all 'cheap and nasty' would be shocked to find out the level of quality that we have nowadays ;):tu: