When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Would i be happy with a Vintage Seadweller 1665?

Prsist

I've have been waiting for the infamous bklm1234 Seadweller for going on 20 months and bought a deepsea till bk's was ready. The Deepsea is just too big on my wrist. Thinking of going vintage, either Great White, COMEX, or double red. I'd like to here from owners of vintage and current 16600 SD owners. Jackjo over at repgeek supposedly makes a pretty good SD 16600 with a gen Swiss ETA option. Trying to decide which way to go.

One worry about a vintage SD I have is the height. I can pull off no more than a 15mm height. Any larger Is a bit much. I wonder how tall the crystal is on the vintage pieces. I have seen some pics where it sit rather high.

height was the exact reason i sold mine. the watch looked absolutely beautiful in every sense, i admired it endlessly, but once on the wrist it felt just too tall and cumbersome, i was always conscious of its presence. opted for a 5513 instead, feels perfect to me, no date complication and an understated elegance. given its not as cool or as high tech as the dweller its still a tool watch. only one way to really tell if the 1665 is for you, can always break close to even if its not.

I've certainly enjoyed my GWSD 1665. It's a PT case w/ the 2846-2 slow beat movement and an MBW dial. Put on a gen crown and an aftermarket T-39 superdome. It's WR so I swim and wadefish with it. Great beater for $400.

P1000285-2-1.jpg

Here's a side shot of the domed crystal- it doesn't bother me.

P1000287.jpg

I also think the SSD V2 is a good rep to get and Jackjo's mods would make it even better.

I think the 1665 is the nicest Rolex ever made. I love those side shots Alligoat. The thickness of the case and bezel and those lugholes... mmmmm dreamy :crazy:

+1 on that one...............I have a Jan 2009 pre order for a WM9 SD as well.

Just go get a DRSD or GWSD 1665, you will love it for sure! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Dont get anal at the outset ....go to a PT for $200........always will sell on if you do not like? I'll by it myself if you do not like or want it! :drinks:

Hey Banned Man,

I think you will love the 1665. it's the iconic Rolex dive watch in my opinion. I don't currently have one, but I have had a couple of genuines as well as 2 old MBW's a DRSD and a great white. The crystal height bothered me a little at first, but I soon got used to it.I think that if you're not sure, buy a PT with the slow beat and try it out. If you like it, you can always move up to a little nicer vintage. I would love to have one of my old MBW's back. I have a trusty 16660 that I bought to use while I wait for my WM9 SD, but it looks like that may be a "Forever project"

Enjoyed your posts about your banning on WUS. i couldn't agree more with the majority here. Most of the mods take themselves a lot too seriously, and the Draconian rules are their enforcement have turned what was once a fairly good forum into a sterile wasteland.

I love the 1665 and think you ought to just go for it. Am MBW with a slowbeat movement, clarks T39 and a flat top datwheel is a great watch and virtually indestinguishable from the gen. To me the dome of the glass is a reminder of the fact that the watch is also a serious tool for divers and I like that - even though I have never even seen scuba equipment let alone used it :rolleyes:

post-2563-031428300 1286609790.jpg

I love the 1665 and think you ought to just go for it. Am MBW with a slowbeat movement, clarks T39 and a flat top datwheel is a great watch and virtually indestinguishable from the gen. To me the dome of the glass is a reminder of the fact that the watch is also a serious tool for divers and I like that - even though I have never even seen scuba equipment let alone used it :rolleyes:

Ok, please give me a little more info on the following:

- slowbeat movement. You talking ETA movement? Which movt? Where is a good place to buy one?

- clarks T39. That is the crystal. Is it a gen or a quality aftermarket?

- flat top datewheel. i get it's a date wheel but tell me more.

You got me thinking of going the vintage route.

• Like 1

Who sells the MBW?

The replica crystals that come on the watches just dont look the same as a quality aftermarket or gen. Its just something you have to see to understand. A gen plexi just sparkles and looks really CLEAR compared to the 75 cent plastic that comes with the watch. I never believed there was that much of a difference until i put a gen t-39 superdome on my MBW 1665. Now swapping the crystal is the first mod I do when i receive a watch. Even the clarks brand crystals look 10x better than the stock ones.

The 1665 is definitely a thick watch, but it's hefty proportions are what I like about it. The 40mm diameter case helps keep the size of the case in check; it's got a bit more presence than a 5513 or 1680, but keep in mind that a lot of the perceived height is with the crystal and thicker bezel. On the wrist it wears quite nicely, but whether it works for you is one of those things that can't be easily determined until you try one on.

If possible... Go for one of the MBWs if you're going to test drive one. Preferrably modded with gen crystal and insert, drilled lugs and crown/tube if you can find one. Not only will that be a good basis for deciding whether the 1665 is suited to your tastes, it will also give you a good platform for resale if it doesn't strike your fancy.

Best of luck :)

OK Prsist,

I am by no means an expert on these things. There are many other members who put my knowledge to shame but for what it's worth here is what I think is a good course of action for you.

Firstly buy an MBW 1665 (either double red or great white ). Do nothing to it. Wear it. If you like it then start some modifications, the watch is basically sound but if you decide to keep it ie you like the style, then you have the beginnings of a really decent rep. If you dont like it then just sell it here and you've probably only lost a few dollars. By the way - I can virtually guarantee you won't sell it and will fall in love with it!

Lets assume you like it and want it to get better:

Use the search engine on this forum and learn lots more about the watch. You need to find out what the differences are between the standard MBW and the gen piece. When you have learned that, only you can decide which inaccuracies you can live with and which ones you can't.

A brief run down of the main things that are wrong with the MBW:

The lug holes are too thin.

The bezel insert and dot are wrong.

The movement beats at a higher rate than the gen.

The hands are wrong.

The datewheel has curved top 3's (the original has flat tops).

The crown guards are too thick.

The glass is totally different to a gen T39.

There are other differences but the above are the main things that most people sort out for starters. I hasten to add that all of the above can be rectified by a decent watchsmith/modder and there are plenty on this forum. So get searching, get learning and get building. I can assure you the work you put in will be well worth it and the knowledge found on these pages is second to none. It will take a while but the watch you end up with will fool all but the most expert of eyes if that is your aim. Personally I'm not bothered about fooling people I just want a piece that I am happy with but either way. Put in a bit of research yourself and you will not regret it.

Welcome to the wonderful world of RWG and watch modifying :thumbsupsmileyanim: