When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Price of a Sea Dweller and Sub in 1980

Prsist

Around $ 415 for the SD and $ 400 for the SUB.

Someone care to post the current prices? Use the last known price for the SD, not DSSD. Then we can figure out the % increase.

Any economists could also chime in and let us know how that increase compares to inflation over the years.

Around $ 415 for the SD and $ 400 for the SUB.

Someone care to post the current prices? Use the last known price for the SD, not DSSD. Then we can figure out the % increase.

Any economists could also chime in and let us know how that increase compares to inflation over the years.

Fair to say and increases of 10 to 15 fold.

there is an article on TRF about a guy who was selling a DRSD on ebay, bought it new back in the 70s. he had no idea what he had and was selling it for a song. some of the TRF guys intercepted him and verified it was real in person. needless to say the guy was a little more informed from then on!

That is the kinda steal of a deal I'd like to fall into! I've heard of stories of people stumbling across items where the owner didn't know what they had.

so history dictates you should buy all the subs you can now and in 20 years youll get 10X your money back :p

bah, there's faster ways to make money.

Oh I know watches aren't investments. It is nice if you buy something for $5k and use it for years and go to sell it you can break even or maybe turn a profit on the original investment.

It's been a long time ago, but I remember my first Sub was purchased from Hausmann's Jewelers in New Orleans. Around 68-70. I paid less than 400.00 USD for it back then. One thing about those folks, they wouldn't cut a deal at all on a straight sale, but the salesman told me that if Ii had something to trade in, they could really "Work with me" on a trade.Ii suspect even back then, Rolex was watching the dealers like a Hawk, strickly enforcing the MSRP. With a trade, they could work in a discount by upping the value of the trade. Another one that I distinctly remember was a 18k Day Date that I bought from a local Rolex dealer in 1982. I paid 4000.00 including all taxes. I believe the comperable model today is aroud 24-26000.00, around a six fold increase. I bought and sold several Subs and SD's in the 1980's and honestly I can't rememember ever paying over 500.00 Dollars for any of them. As I said, it's been a long time back and my memory may be a little foggy, but the prices really didn't start to shoot up til later. I do know that I felt the prices had gotten a little silly by the late 90's an I didn't buy another genuine til about 7 years ago when I bought a used 16750. looking at the prices lately, for the later watches of which thousands have been produced,prices have actually come down some. If you look long enough, you can pick up a fairly nice 16610 for around 3,000, maybe a little less if you are lucky and drive a hard bargain. Rare models, especially those in pristine condition, don't seem to be as vulnerable to price drops.

When you look at Rolex prices, compared to everything else, I don't think their price increases have been that much out of line with other items. i bought a brand new Ford galaxy 500 (It was a full size Ford) in 1968. the sticker price was 6500.00 and this was "loaded", Air conditioning, power steering, Power brakes ,Windows, etc. I would gues that a comperable car today would be something north of 40k. I also bought a Ford F-150 around the same time, it was pretty bare except for A/C and power steering. It was about 3500.00 dollars.I priced an F-250

Diesel ,King Ranch edition a week ago. Sticker was 75,000 dollars!! Of course comparing 60's era cars/trucks to 2010 models is a little Apples vs Oranges, but as you can see everything is way,way more expensive today.

... this is assuming we're talking about stainless steel Rolex Submariners....

apporximates here,

I think Freddy posted that when subs first came out in the fifties they were ~$250

as per this thread ~$400 in 1980

I paid $2,200 for mine in 1992

$ 7,375 in today's Ben Bridge mailer

makes for an interesting chart.

"percent increase" is relative to original price

"percent change" is between subsequent data points...

sub_prices.jpg

• 1 month later...