When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Teach me about my new purchse

dadog13

Hello guys!

I have just purchased this beauty :

I usually do not open posts in the Rolex section nor do I look the FS posts that have Rolex in the title ..however it was destiny that I saw this beauty and finally bought it.

Since I do not know anything about Rolex, nor about this specific model, could some of you be so kind and tell me the most visible flaws of the model I got and what eventual mods I could do in the future?!

The thing that made me buy this one was the gorgeus dial - it was love at first sight!

DSCN0666.jpg

Nice piece. Where'd you score it? thumbsupsmileyanim.gif What I would have done if I'd kept the watch.

First, new crown and tube. That stock crown is pretty poor.

Second, beat the case up to match the dial. Something I left for you to do.

Third, if you want a more accurate bezel. Buy a Yuki bezel. The numbering is quite a bit better.

Enjoy it...

Spinmaster 7750 based Daytona's are excellent. While yes, the subdial spacing is off by a fraction of a mm, unless someone 1.) Is a Rolex Expert, 2.) WIS/Member here, 3.) Closer than arms length, 4.) Holding a GEN side by side, these are totally plausible IMHO.

The above recommendations are sound. Adding a GEN Crown, would be a plus. I think there is too much emphasis on the bezel accuracy, especially the "1 10". User serviceable, aftermarket parts (bezel inserts), no longer automatically lump a watch in the Rep/Fake category. Just an opinion-- I am sure there are plenty of Gen Sub's, GMT's, and maybe a Daytona or two out there with aftermarket inserts and/or bracelets.

Final thought, things like how you carry yourself, your cloths, and your age are probably more important than some of the little details mentioned above.

I think there is too much emphasis on the bezel accuracy, especially the "1 10".

I agree. Changing the the bezel should be lower on the priority list of upgrades, especially given the price of a replacement.

If function is your main concern, change the crown/tube. If it's appearances, get a genuine 7835 or 78350 bracelet and beat up the case. But don't scratch that crystal!

Spinmaster 7750 based Daytona's are excellent. While yes, the subdial spacing is off by a fraction of a mm, unless someone 1.) Is a Rolex Expert, 2.) WIS/Member here, 3.) Closer than arms length, 4.) Holding a GEN side by side, these are totally plausible IMHO.

The above recommendations are sound. Adding a GEN Crown, would be a plus. I think there is too much emphasis on the bezel accuracy, especially the "1 10". User serviceable, aftermarket parts (bezel inserts), no longer automatically lump a watch in the Rep/Fake category. Just an opinion-- I am sure there are plenty of Gen Sub's, GMT's, and maybe a Daytona or two out there with aftermarket inserts and/or bracelets.

Final thought, things like how you carry yourself, your cloths, and your age are probably more important than some of the little details mentioned above.

+1

Very nice! An observation, its not a 6263, it has a Paul Newman dial and only the 6239 and 6241s are PN dials :)

huh???? Pick up the Patrizzi Pocket Expert guide for Cosmographs...6263's had PN dials...if you're inferring that only 6239 and 6241's had PN dials, then your statement isn't correct.

BTW Donerix...glad to see that you got the replacement bezel and it looks awesome on that bund strap!

totally off the subject, but what do you think the PN Daytona that is the "REAL" Paul Newman Daytona would bring at auction when he or his heirs decides to sell it?

I believe what ronin mentioned in his post sort of cuts to the core of reps vs fakes. How you carry yourself, your clothes ,etc are going to go a long way toward your credibility. If you look like you can afford and wear a 40+k watch, then you can pull it off with no trouble. If your primary occupation is part time student and full time pizza delivery boy, then you may suffer some credibility issues.

Yesterday, my wife and I drove down to Baton Rouge for some shopping. Our Anniversary is a couple of weeks away, so we went into a jewelry store that happens to be one of the authorized Rolex dealers in BR. I had on my WM9/BK Sub. i wasn't a bit worried about anyone saying anything, as we were looking at diamond jewelry for her. I didn't flash my watch, or ask the watch salesman to look at it, but I had on a short sleeve shirt, and I made no attempt to hide it. I would bet that no one in the store could tell from a glance that it's a rep, even though it has a genuine crown/tube and insert.

All this aside, that is a very nice Daytona. I saw it soon after it came up on the sales forum, would love to have had a go at it, but i have an MBW 1665 project that is growing by leaps and bounds almost daily!!

Wear it well, and welcome to the Rolex forum and "plexi mania"

if you're inferring that only 6239 and 6241's had PN dials, then your statement isn't correct.

Maybe RB wants to rehash 'The Mayer/Kamal 3CROC Debate'! :)

If you look like you can afford and wear a 40+k watch, then you can pull it off with no trouble.

This is why my Daytona reps have standard dials. I can pull off a $20,000 watch, sure, but $60,000 is really pushing it. I know, it's all in my mind...

judging by the number of PMs I got for this one (if I am willing to sell it) it seems I've made a good decision by buying it..

I am looking forward to get it, then I will decide whether to make any mods or just keep it the way it is..one thing is for sure - it won't be offered FS! :bleh:

I have to deliver a pizza right now so I have no more time to hang here with you guys! :cc_scooter:

Once again, thanks for all the comments...

Edited by dadog13

huh???? Pick up the Patrizzi Pocket Expert guide for Cosmographs...6263's had PN dials...if you're inferring that only 6239 and 6241's had PN dials, then your statement isn't correct.

BTW Donerix...glad to see that you got the replacement bezel and it looks awesome on that bund strap!

Oh they did!? I didn't know that, thanks for the info.