When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Buckle Your Seatbelts

freddy333

These red bond subs are like the new Stradivarius... All these people caught a glimpse of Dr. Diver Bob making a killing in these tough financial times and chasing down some of grandad's old watches and hoping to make some cash.

When it comes to vintage Rolex there is, unfortunately, no "going price". They're all over the board with no rhyme or reason.

Correction: there IS a rhyme or reason ... anything "red" will always be worth more than a non-red. Similarly a gilt will be worth more than a white.

Red 1680s - check

Red 6536s - check

Red 1665s - check

Gilt Subs or gilt GMTs - check

So, the price of a little colour on a dial?

Yes. That 'little colour' on the dial turns an early Sub into a very rare collectible.

If that 6536/1 is all gen (hard to tell from the pics & the seller's 98.2% score does not help matters), then someone got 1 hell of a deal. That watch (without the red lettered dial) is worth at least $25k-$40k, easy.

Really? I was watching it from start to end and nearly bid. I thought they were about $12000 odd like 5508's. Thought only the 6538 was the big hitter (without Red dial or big crown increasing the value of them).

I think the seller is ok - he's got 400 good feedbacks and the only bad one is from a "private" buyer.

Yes. That 'little colour' on the dial turns an early Sub into a very rare collectible.

If that 6536/1 is all gen (hard to tell from the pics & the seller's 98.2% score does not help matters), then someone got 1 hell of a deal. That watch (without the red lettered dial) is worth at least $25k-$40k, easy.

I'm not liking the look of the green goo glopped onto that dial. That's approx where I started from 20 years ago resurrecting mine.

bond_sub2.jpg

bond_sub_sm.jpg

I remember seeing one of those in a local jewelry store about 15 yrs or so ago.. it was priced the same as the used Datejust 1603 sitting in the showcase beside it... I bought the Datejust because it "Looked better".

whoops :bangin:

lol

I also remember trading my Tudor Snowflake for some Superswamper tires for my 4x4 about 10 yrs ago, and back then, that was a good deal. I guess Im not very good at predicting the future.

This 5508 showed up on VRF this morning

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-JAMES-BOND-SUBMARINER-REF-5508_W0QQitemZ180603952195QQcategoryZ31387QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp5197.m7QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D4%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D5854582545250287682

The dial looks a little too good to be true to me and the exclamation point would push it to '62 or so. I think the whole watch is a fabrication of parts myself. Weak seller to boot!

It's a jungle out there!

This 5508 showed up on VRF this morning

http://cgi.ebay.com/...582545250287682

The dial looks a little too good to be true to me and the exclamation point would push it to '62 or so. I think the whole watch is a fabrication of parts myself. Weak seller to boot!

It's a jungle out there!

Absolutely correct. People get mislead by sellers with 100% feedback. Sure he has 100%, but look at what he's selling. One item out of 50-60 that is over 1k (Diamond engagement ring) All the rest are used clothing, and "doo dads"

The 5508 dial really does looks too good to be true. It would be hard to believe that a 50+ year old watch would not have some lume degregation, corrosion and discoloration. Reading some stuff on VRF last week , they were saying that the lume on "Safe queens' that never see the light of day actually ages faster than those out exposed to sunlight. But if it were worn a lot, you would expect other signs of wear and aging. I wouldn't bid on this one, even if I had the money!

I'm not liking the look of the green goo glopped onto that dial. That's approx where I started from 20 years ago resurrecting mine.

bond_sub2.jpg

bond_sub_sm.jpg

I cannot believe you destroyed that super rare Kryptonite lumed dial!!:bangin: :bangin: that is terrible. I'm so glad you left the pearl kryptonited though