When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Yay! Finally back online!

Admin

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the hard work!

Are you going to put in a claim @ the datacenter?

Seems they are responsible?

Well, the datacenter has been very helpful through this entire event and have made several machines available for me, both windows and linux to attempt to get data back from the disks. They are still investigating what went wrong and the fire has closed down almost 400 servers that was in the same room, as our rack. Everything has been moved to a new room, including our new servers. The only rack that was affected was ours and the routines and equipment did indeed work, but I know by experience that there are several different fire prevention systems out there and I'm not sure if our current datacenter is using one of those that can detect components from smoldering components, as this will be the first sign of something wrong, before smoke and/or flames appear and all "regular" systems detect these things. I will wait for their final report before deciding what to do, but I don't think they could have done anything different and I don't think we are entitled to a big claim anyway. We'll see..

I feel bad because it is all my fault.

T always says you need to light a fire under Ken to get him going, well a couple of the guys tried it....

They didn't realise I had pizza and beer for lunch...the rest as they say is history :animal_rooster:

Ken

Congrats for all the hard work and the successful resolution. As someone who knows enough about servers and Linux to get into a lot of trouble, I've been there and done that. It's always a miracle to find that un-corrupted database backup as a surprise.

I've had "bullet proof" tape systems with miles of corrupted data on them ..

A question, tho .. why are you archiving the entire DB nightly, instead of exponentially smaller incremental backups?

Thanks for your efforts, and I'm glad to be able to read here again.