When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Lug hole drillers

grifter

I've done a lot in past, but there is always a risk to do it. The steel is very hard and the drill can break off. Also there needs some luck to get the hole 100% in position. I used to begin with a 1mm drill and with even lug till it starts to go in, after that I mount a 1,2mm drill and go thru on correct lug position. You must count in that you need one drill for one hole! If you try the first used drill on second hole it will get wrong...hope this helps.

BTW: I have done it on heavy industial drill machines with 2000 rpm, also with cooling fluid - that's very importand.

We discussed this not too long ago. Drilling Lug Holes in non Drilled Cases

Many good suggestions. I used 'split point bits' after experiencing problems. I haven't tried Freddy's method of using a normal point with only enough of the bit beyond the chuck to drill through, but that makes sense to me.  

Posted 04 October 2010 - 03:49 PM

All very good advice. I had a real problem, and ruined two cases, trying to drill out the GMT 'Retro' case. Unlike my 6542 that the 1mm hole goes all the way through, on the Retro for some reason the factory makes a hole on the outside of each lug that does not go through. On the inside of each lug is the hole for the spring bar, and on my case 3 of the 4 did not line up. When drilling from the outside once it hit the bottom of the inside hole it took the bit and ovaled the hole. I bought two new cases and took them to a machine shop who told me what happened, and that he'd have the same results. So I tried something else, practicing on the two ruined cases.

I have a McMaster-Carr supplier near my house. I've bought bits from them before for drilling out other cases and end-links. I bought 3 Cobalt bits 1mm, split point @ $2.16 each. Using a table top drill press, and drill press vise to hole the case, I drilled into the outside 1mm hole with the 1mm split point bit. When it came to the bottom of the inside hole it did not 'take' the bit, and I drilled straight through. The inside of the lug now had two holes, overlapping each other, but one all the way through. Then I followed up with a 1.3mm regular point cobalt drill bit to open the hole as is done on the other cases. Then I used 'liquid steel' and filled the ugly inside holes, let it set, used a pin vise with the 1.3mm bit to have just one decent looking hole on the inside of each lug, with the obvious finish sanding. One bit did all 4 holes.

So I got brave and tried it on a virgin, no hole case. I made a point mark with a spring-loaded punch in the spot I wanted. Then using a new split point bit, I figured the 1st one had to be dulled by now, I drilled the 1mm hole straight through, and then opened them all up to 1.3mm. Came out great. Now the problem is fitting the end links to the holes. Good news is that you can see from the outside just how far off, if at all, you are. Mine were off very slight, but enough not to seat the spring bar. I took the end links to the drill press, using a small drum style sanding bit that matched the curve (diameter?) of the end link. I took the metal down from the top only, the part you see when it's on your wrist. The lower part keeps the link from flipping up. I did a little at a time, it didn't take much, and the fit is very good.

I hope that helps.

Edited by JoeyB

I haven't tried Freddy's method of using a normal point with only enough of the bit beyond the chuck to drill through, but that makes sense to me.

Extend the bit only slightly beyond the end of the chuck to allow for the total depth you will be drilling. This will reduce the likelihood of the bit bending/breaking or sliding across the surface & scratching it.

I use one of those spring loaded center punches to make a dent for the drill bit to start in. Figure out where you want the hole and mark it with a fine tip sharpie felt pen. Then place the punch exactly where you want it and push. When the spring loaded mechanism hits it, you will get a nice deep starting point for your drill.

i wouldnt use a hand drill, the risk of wobble and breaking off the bit in the hole is greatly increased. your first attempt expect to either botch it or not do as well as you think you did, which you will only realize the second or third time you do it. alignment is key to doing it correctly, i personally use a 1.25mm bit, 3 in 1 oil and never anything faster than 3200 rpm. after you have to reset it for chamfering , and of course i always sand and repolish the lugs or it looks rough. repolishing is a whole other process of steps to do it correctly. if someone is offering to do it for $20 and they know how to do it correctly and with experience and you care about the piece id outsource it to them, especially if its your first time.

I've had trouble finding someone who will do it. Most precision machine shops have equipment set up for much larger runs and don't want to break it down to do a $20 - $30 job. I have offered $50 to do it and had no takers...because of the above.

which model and which factory case are you trying to drill?

existing holes to be enlarged or virgin?

does the watch need to be disassembled and then reassembled?

enlarging existing holes is easy. You can do it with a hand drill and a pair of work gloves to hold the watch case if you dont have proper tools. Trying to drill virgin lug holes is a different story. You need a drill press and some practice. I would love to out source this work to someone, but nobody seems willing to do it. I recently bought a drill press so I am going to give it a shot as soon as I get some new drill bits.

dizz

enlarging existing holes is easy. You can do it with a hand drill and a pair of work gloves to hold the watch case if you dont have proper tools. Trying to drill virgin lug holes is a different story. You need a drill press and some practice. I would love to out source this work to someone, but nobody seems willing to do it. I recently bought a drill press so I am going to give it a shot as soon as I get some new drill bits.

dizz

ive tried drilling lug holes in a noob factory case, ruined 3 cases with still no success. had all the right equipment too. the problem is the drill bit is so thin at 1.25mm that it bends and walks out of alignment once it touches the case. ive tried drilling it straight then adjusting to the correct angle, ive tried using a pin vise to start a pilot hole, ive tried reversing the bit to eliminate the bit from walking. theres a good reason no one will do it. but you must try for yourself, who knows maybe youll discover a technique that works. one strategy i didnt try was drilling from the inside out at an angle of course, then correcting it. jmb may have had some success with this, but then again he also has a professional machine shop and the years of experience that goes with it.

The hole needs to be "spotted" with a center drill. A center drill is extremely stiff, has no flutes, and won't bend. After that you switch to the cobalt bit...

I just put a "dimple" in the lug with the smallest drill then switch to the #55...

TN_Center_Drills.jpg

which model and which factory case are you trying to drill?

existing holes to be enlarged or virgin?

does the watch need to be disassembled and then reassembled?

I would like to drill an MBW case, a Noob case and a 16233 DJ case. A machinist recommended a "round-nosed carbide bit". Said that are very stiff and will not flex. He said just go very slowly (on a drill press, of course) and let the bit do the work. Just let the bit just kiss the steel at first let it start to break the surface and then just lower it a little more...etc. etc.

I can break the case down and get him just the piece of steel. I can even mark the place I want the hole. I service my own movements but I am not a machinist. Justin dazzles me.

The hole needs to be "spotted" with a center drill.  A center drill is extremely stiff, has no flutes, and won't bend.  After that you switch to the cobalt bit...

I just put a "dimple" in the lug with the smallest drill then switch to the #55...

TN_Center_Drills.jpg

I'm no machinist, and am not familiar with the 'center drill', but that too makes good sense to me. The split point bit didn't 'walk' for me, and Freddy's method of shortening up the bit makes sense as well. I think, as is my experience in most things, practice with whatever method will make for a successful job. I knew those $25 knock-offs would have a good use someday...

How do you go about centering the hole from the outside. I mean if you are off a tiny bit, your holes won't "meet in the middle" ? I could envision some type of drill guide that uses the inner hole to line up the outside and holds the drill bit in one place so that drilling the hole is easier and more accurate.

How do you go about centering the hole from the outside. I mean if you are off a tiny bit, your holes won't "meet in the middle" ? I could envision some type of drill guide that uses the inner hole to line up the outside and holds the drill bit in one place so that drilling the hole is easier and more accurate.

I can envision something like this too! Kind of a "C" type clamp.. but instead of clamping, you put the bottom of the C into the original hole and the top part of the C lines up the drill..

But then again I don't know much about this subject. :victory:

WOW thanks everyone for the great learning experience! Keep up the suggestions, ideas, and coms! :good: