When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A conversation about gens and reps...

TeeJay

I would've posted this a few days ago, but I had a lot on my mind, so not much in the mood for talking. All's well now though, so don't worry about me :victory: Anywho, the other day, my father in law and I were doing an investigation in a bar/hotel, and the owner owned a Sea-Dweller. He actually bought up the topic as we were packing away, as he'd noticed my Tudor sub during the evening (I was only wearing a T-Shirt, so not flashing it about at all) and he was curious as to what it was. I explained that it was a self-built project as I was interested in watches, and had noticed his own Sea-Dweller. He explained that he'd bought it several years ago when a property deal he'd done left him with the spare cash, and just wanted to treat himself to a nice watch, as his dad had always worn an Omega. Now of course, I'd fully explained to him that my watch was not a genuine one, but one I'd built, yet he still insisted on trying it on, letting me wear the Sea-Dweller as well. He was totally blown away by the quality of the parts, surprized, even shocked, that the diver's extension worked (and had the Rolex logo on!) The funny thing, was he was so concerned that he'd somehow bought a fake himself, he kept asking people (like his watch smith ) if it was genuine! Of course, it was, the sweep of the second hand was enough to give that away, but it was funny, as he had been told not to wear the watch in the shower (I think what sowed the seeds of doubt in his mind) I told him a bit about why I'd built a vintage piece, and he admitted that it was the dome which had caught his eye, as he knew Rolexes came 'with magnifier and without magnifier', but hadn't seen a vintage dome before, but I then also told him about the DSSD, and a bit about our hobby, which he was fascinated by, and not at all dismissive or condescending of (He demanded that I bring my plastic sub to show him next time, because he thought it was an awesome joke :tu: ) So I guess all I'm trying to say, is don't be afraid or ashamed of wearing a rep, it is not a rep, it is your watch, and meant to be on your wrist. Anyone who puts it down, or criticizes, is just being an elitist douche :victory:

Hehe, Teej. This subject is one of your favourite to discuss isn't it? :) Theres a million variations of people and attitudes around reps/gens.

The craziest thing I've read on a gen forum recently is: "People who buy fakes won't ever buy the real thing anyway", given the amount of gens between us lot I think that says enough on its own!

I think for our community; owning reps is either aspirational and admirational for certain watch models & great designs. Or simply a try before you (in the future if I get enough spare cash) buy!

Great post, thanks for sharing your story. My thinking has always been that I enjoy the "Look" and function of a watch, not a name on the dial.

I owned the watches because of the sum of all the parts. The finishes, the size, the colors....whatever struck me about the overall design. Would I pay the kind of $$$ being asked for new and vintage watches? Hell no. Do I have a problem wearing a rep either stock or modded? Hell no. I don't hide my watches. I have worn them into AD's, in suits, at the gym, family dinners. They are watches. Never tried to pass one off as real and in fact, I love having conversations with gen owners who are clue-less about the quality and accuracy of today's reps.

Many Gen. owners ask if I can source watches for them. I rarely do, unless they are very good friends of mine.

Strip away the printing on the dials and what you are left with is a choice based on Appeal, design, color and function.

As always, reps are "Justasgood". Is it a gen? Yep, it is a genuine watch :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Edited by Justasgood

it really depends on who you are talking to. People that buy expensive watches just to show they are successful and have no real appreciation for watches would probably frown on reps. People that really enjoy watches have a tendency to appreciate all kinds.

I too find it laughable that people that own expensive watches most time know very little about them (other than it needs a battery or not). It's like buying an expensive car without knowing what it can do.

It would seem the hotel/bar owner really appreciate good timepieces and would benefit from the introduction.

I too don't care about where I'm wearing my watches (reps or gens). I normally pick them based on occasion, attire, etc.. This is such an specialized hobby that most people can't go past the "nice watch" comments.

Good story, TJ.

I find Timezone forum utterly boring compared to this place, the knowledge, energy and excitement embodied in franken projects here is truly something.

Also, I was struck by the thing you said about this guy being told NOT to wear a Sea Dweller, of all watches, in the shower! And this guy believed that!

Hehe, Teej. This subject is one of your favourite to discuss isn't it? :) Theres a million variations of people and attitudes around reps/gens.

The craziest thing I've read on a gen forum recently is: "People who buy fakes won't ever buy the real thing anyway", given the amount of gens between us lot I think that says enough on its own!

I think for our community; owning reps is either aspirational and admirational for certain watch models & great designs. Or simply a try before you (in the future if I get enough spare cash) buy!

It's certainly one of my favorites :D To me, I think it breaks down the people who are 'into watches', and poseurs just looking to add a few inches to their wang :whistling:

To be fair, I would (personally) agree with that comment, as I buy fakes and wouldn't ever buy the real thing. For me though, it's a case of I cannot justify to myself spending the gen pricetag, when a rep will provide all that I really want from the watch (something which looks nice, won't flood if I get it wet, will glow in the dark, and most of all, keep good time :tu: ) Of course, everyone's different, and to each his own, I guess I was just taken aback by someone being genuinely interested in what I was wearing, and not then trying to act the Big I Am, because he was wearing a gen :) (He did say that he had a rep Daytona as well, but had lost it :D )

Great post, thanks for sharing your story. My thinking has always been that I enjoy the "Look" and function of a watch, not a name on the dial.

I owned the watches because of the sum of all the parts. The finishes, the size, the colors....whatever struck me about the overall design. Would I pay the kind of $$$ being asked for new and vintage watches? Hell no. Do I have a problem wearing a rep either stock or modded? Hell no. I don't hide my watches. I have worn them into AD's, in suits, at the gym, family dinners. They are watches. Never tried to pass one off as real and in fact, I love having conversations with gen owners who are clue-less about the quality and accuracy of today's reps.

Many Gen. owners ask if I can source watches for them. I rarely do, unless they are very good friends of mine.

Strip away the printing on the dials and what you are left with is a choice based on Appeal, design, color and function.

As always, reps are "Justasgood". Is it a gen? Yep, it is a genuine watch :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Thanks, K :good: I figured as people often worry about getting called out, I thought it'd be nice to share a positive experience between a rep and gen owner :victory: You're absolutely right, it'snot about the name on the dial, it's about everything else which makes the watch 'what it is', and just right for each individual's taste :) As you say, yes, it is a genuine watch, and definitely "Justasgood" :drinks:

it really depends on who you are talking to. People that buy expensive watches just to show they are successful and have no real appreciation for watches would probably frown on reps. People that really enjoy watches have a tendency to appreciate all kinds.

I too find it laughable that people that own expensive watches most time know very little about them (other than it needs a battery or not). It's like buying an expensive car without knowing what it can do.

It would seem the hotel/bar owner really appreciate good timepieces and would benefit from the introduction.

I too don't care about where I'm wearing my watches (reps or gens). I normally pick them based on occasion, attire, etc.. This is such an specialized hobby that most people can't go past the "nice watch" comments.

I think you're right there, it's that difference between someone appreciating a watch, or just wanting a status symbol to show off... Indeed, he certainly seemed to be someone who was just interested in watches, which is always nice to see :)

Elitist Douche - You couldn't have put that better, TJ! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Just calling it as I see it :drinks:

Good story, TJ.

I find Timezone forum utterly boring compared to this place, the knowledge, energy and excitement embodied in franken projects here is truly something.

Also, I was struck by the thing you said about this guy being told NOT to wear a Sea Dweller, of all watches, in the shower! And this guy believed that!

Thanks, and absolutely, this place is occupied by people who genuinely love watches, not just worshippers of The Brand, for example, Ronin's Soxa-Mod watch is absolutely fantastic, but not a brand label in sight :) Absolutely, I explained to him the differences between the Subs and the Sea-Dweller, and pointed out the water resistance, so hopefully it'll be getting a bit wetter in the future :D

TeeJay - The problem is that the vast majority of people who spot your rep will never say anything to you. Instead, they will just think to themselves (or say to their friends), 'What a cheap poser.'

Possibly, but that's their right to hold that opinion, and if they choose not to ask further, well, that's up to them :pardon: Personally, any time I see a gold watch, I think that the person is being a poser, (cheap or otherwise) so again, it's all just opinions and personal tastes. Heck, if I was bothered about what others thought about my watch, I wouldn't enjoy wearing my plastic Submariner as much as I do :drinks:

[Edit to add]

Let's not also forget, that many people seeing someone wearing a Rolex (rep or gen) are also going to just think "That's got to be fake, what a poser..." simply because of the name on the dial, and it's synonymity with fakes. A good line from Tilly Bagshawe's Scandalous sums it up perfectly: "sporting a mid-Atlantic accent as fake as his gold Rolex". Doesn't matter if it's real or fake, it's still a Rolex :bangin:

Great topic and story. To be honest I originally got into reps after my brother bought a gen Rollie gmt 2 about 5 years ago. I loved the watch. I wanted one. I just had an issue with shelling out 4-5k on a watch for several reasons:

1. Couldn't afford it

2. I lose / misplace everything smaller than grapefruit

3. What if I had buyers remorse?

So there started my process of looking onto reps. I hit all the scam sites with thier scam review sub-sites and all. I kept doing research and found this great place. That completely changed my perspective on watches. I used to be just impressed by the brand like 99% of the general public. I didnt know squat about watches, I just liked them After my time here, I can honestly say that I now appreciate them from reading all of the great tutorials, reviews, franken project posts, etc....

Having owned some reps over the years, would I buy a gen? Tough to say.. Granted, you get the quality, service and prestige of walking into an AD and buying one, but is that enough to justify the cost? Yeah, many if not all reps need servicing, but so do their gen counterparts- just not right after you get it :) After my bro told me the servicing on his Rollie ran him around $600 from Rolex, I was thinking - 2 new reps for me or a couple of zig service and lumes!

Maybe I'll buy a gen down the road, but I just like this hobby too much. I'd never be able to afford the variety I have now. if I have buyers remorse, what's the worst that happens? I sell it for a loss of 100 bucks worst-case? The reps also allow me to work on them and perhaps try a franken or 10. It's a nice hobby away from a 60-hour work week and obviously something I'd never try with a gen.

Sorry for the long ramble, just wanted to add my 2 cents..

That's why I like working out in the middle of BFE in a manufacturing machine shop. I've never had anybody even notice what kind of watch I was wearing. I enjoy it 'cause I can get away with wearing whatever fantasy I want to cobble together and nobody notices/cares! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Thanks TJ for posting such a positive watch tale

No worries :drinks: I know how people can sometimes get paranoid about getting called out, and I think that the chances of anyone actually saying anything negative, are pretty remote, so if that helps someone be confident in themselves and what they choose to wear, I wanted to share :)

Great topic and story. To be honest I originally got into reps after my brother bought a gen Rollie gmt 2 about 5 years ago. I loved the watch. I wanted one. I just had an issue with shelling out 4-5k on a watch for several reasons:

1. Couldn't afford it

2. I lose / misplace everything smaller than grapefruit

3. What if I had buyers remorse?

So there started my process of looking onto reps. I hit all the scam sites with thier scam review sub-sites and all. I kept doing research and found this great place. That completely changed my perspective on watches. I used to be just impressed by the brand like 99% of the general public. I didnt know squat about watches, I just liked them After my time here, I can honestly say that I now appreciate them from reading all of the great tutorials, reviews, franken project posts, etc....

Having owned some reps over the years, would I buy a gen? Tough to say.. Granted, you get the quality, service and prestige of walking into an AD and buying one, but is that enough to justify the cost? Yeah, many if not all reps need servicing, but so do their gen counterparts- just not right after you get it :) After my bro told me the servicing on his Rollie ran him around $600 from Rolex, I was thinking - 2 new reps for me or a couple of zig service and lumes!

Maybe I'll buy a gen down the road, but I just like this hobby too much. I'd never be able to afford the variety I have now. if I have buyers remorse, what's the worst that happens? I sell it for a loss of 100 bucks worst-case? The reps also allow me to work on them and perhaps try a franken or 10. It's a nice hobby away from a 60-hour work week and obviously something I'd never try with a gen.

Sorry for the long ramble, just wanted to add my 2 cents..

I think you've got it absolutely spot on, and not a ramble at all, thanks for your feedback and input, it's always good to get other's thoughts on the subject :)

That's why I like working out in the middle of BFE in a manufacturing machine shop. I've never had anybody even notice what kind of watch I was wearing. I enjoy it 'cause I can get away with wearing whatever fantasy I want to cobble together and nobody notices/cares! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Must admit, the custom/fantasy stuff is certainly my favorite, and it's always good to see what you've put together :drinks:

What's really pathetic are the guys who start with reps, move on to gens and then start looking down on rep owners as inferior individuals because they wear and own 'fakes'.

Sad, shallow people those are...

Absolutely so... :bangin: For most, the hobby (especially on the rep forums)just gives people more of an appreciation for watches in general, and of course, while people eventually gravitate to one brand or another, there still remains that overall respect and appreciation for something 'as a watch'. I could appreciate the merits of a watch, even if it wasn't particularly to my taste to want to wear it, and definitely feel that my appreciation for the hobby overall has deepened over the years through me being here, and no amount of gens could change that :) Heck, why would I even want to consider shelling out gen prices, all the time I can be amused/kept happy by a £15 plastic quartz sub with a Rolex dial transplanted into it for shits and giggles? :pardon::whistling: Of course, I don't wear it all the time, only if I'm in a really casual mood, or like last night, when I wanted to wear something 'low key' that couldn't possibly attract attention :ph34r: It's just my way of reminding myself to not take life too seriously, enjoy things for what they are, and to give the finger to those who over analyse things too much and miss the wood for the trees :)

They're like the those people who quit smoking. I heard some of them are the biggest tobacco nazis you can find.

Yeah, or like some vegetarians who condescend to meat-eaters at meals :bangin: I get it, they choose not to drink/eat meat/smoke or whatever it may be, but rather than preaching, they'd get more respect if they just learned a little tolerance for other people's choices. It's an irony that those who like to think of themselves as 'tolerant', are often the most intolerant of all :D

Awesome post.

I started owning a few reps and then bought a few gens but still go back to reps from time to time. I don't have any reps anymore but I am looking into getting another very soon.

The problem with watches is not the watch itself, it's the person wearing it and for what PURPOSE they are wearing it.

1) People buy any watch just to tell time...we have seen millionaires just own a simple quartz watch for that.

2) People buy watches because they love and appreciate the art of watchmaking and the skill required.

3) People buy watches just to show their success and riches.

I guess RWG and gen watch forums have a high combination of both "2" and "3" and a very tiny proportion of "1".

If you meet "2", there is a good possibility that you may enjoy a good conversation about watches and also talk comfortably about reps and the amazing quality that we can now find. To be honest, reps have shown me an indication of the true intrinsic value of gen watches which has helped me in buying gen watches for fair prices.

If you meet "3", you will get those elitist douches who think by wearing expensive watches you will always automatically have "genuine" friends who "genuinely" care for you.

In fact if you do go to TZ etc, people mostly get props for buying the most expensive pile of shhh, but those who buy excellent watches at good prices often just get that "pat on the back".

People often misunderstand true value in things, relationships, processes and general life.

I must admit, without wanting to sound overly like a cheesecake, this site is an amazing experience and really holds a good value proposition for watch enthusists like us.

1) People buy any watch just to tell time...we have seen millionaires just own a simple quartz watch for that.

2) People buy watches because they love and appreciate the art of watchmaking and the skill required.

Most 3's are also the type that think a fancy, expensive watch instantly commands respect from everyone, anywhere at any time.

Awesome post.

I started owning a few reps and then bought a few gens but still go back to reps from time to time. I don't have any reps anymore but I am looking into getting another very soon.

The problem with watches is not the watch itself, it's the person wearing it and for what PURPOSE they are wearing it.

I guess RWG and gen watch forums have a high combination of both "2" and "3" and a very tiny proportion of "1".

If you meet "2", there is a good possibility that you may enjoy a good conversation about watches and also talk comfortably about reps and the amazing quality that we can now find. To be honest, reps have shown me an indication of the true intrinsic value of gen watches which has helped me in buying gen watches for fair prices.

If you meet "3", you will get those elitist douches who think by wearing expensive watches you will always automatically have "genuine" friends who "genuinely" care for you.

In fact if you do go to TZ etc, people mostly get props for buying the most expensive pile of shhh, but those who buy excellent watches at good prices often just get that "pat on the back".

People often misunderstand true value in things, relationships, processes and general life.

I must admit, without wanting to sound overly like a cheesecake, this site is an amazing experience and really holds a good value proposition for watch enthusists like us.

Thanks, and as above, thanks for the input, you've made some great points :) I think you're quite right about the numbers you list, and absolutely spot on about the millionaires who wear a cheap Casio, because it 'tells the time', and that's all they need in the watch. I think there're two types of people... People who wear a watch simply to tell the time, and those who actually appreciate watches as a hobby, like cars, books, wine etc, and that's when it starts splitting into those categories you list :). I think the thing that irritates me most about some of the elitists on forums like TZ, is that on the times when someone did foolishly post a rep there and try to pass it off, the majority of comments were those 'pat on the back' comments, and it often took a while for the rep to be outed as such. Of course, such behavior is not to be condoned, but it does highlight the level of knowledge of these so-called experts of the gen forums... I've never liked elitism in any walk of life, I think there's so much more to life than worrying about the minutia :) As you say, it's true value which is what makes life worth living, and that's not something defined by the brand name :drinks:

Most 3's are also the type that think a fancy, expensive watch instantly commands respect from everyone, anywhere at any time.

Yup, elitist douches :lol: It's their loss :D

Don't know how to multiquote :(

@ Ubiquitous : You're right, number "3" people just assume that they must get the best service by everyone and be shown insane respect. This arrogance is so annoying. They probably don't know how to even work certain functions of timepieces.

@ TeeJay : I absolutely agree with you. Isn't it ironic that some of the people who wear gen watches and have this smugness about them usually have the most fake persona?? I'd rather have a rep and be "real".I enjoy watches and want to enjoy my geeky side to that with people who appreciate what I say and know about timepieces.

:D

Don't know how to multiquote :(

I do it the long way, ie reply in turn to each post, then copy/paste that into the next reply, and repeat :D

@ Ubiquitous : You're right, number "3" people just assume that they must get the best service by everyone and be shown insane respect. This arrogance is so annoying. They probably don't know how to even work certain functions of timepieces.

@ TeeJay : I absolutely agree with you. Isn't it ironic that some of the people who wear gen watches and have this smugness about them usually have the most fake persona?? I'd rather have a rep and be "real".I enjoy watches and want to enjoy my geeky side to that with people who appreciate what I say and know about timepieces.

:D

You're right on both those counts, I think for some, it is just a case of having the 'status symbol' than actually using it, and when it comes to that fake persona, absolutely, because they create their persona based on the external, rather than the internal... I bet that a lot of those people, if stripped of their fine clothes and watches, and made to live on more 'modest means' for a while in a new neighborhood, would find themselves pretty unpopular pretty quickly. Of course, there are those with wealth who remain down to earth, and they always come out well in any situation, but those "Type 3's" who base their entire lifestyle around 'the brandname', without the trappings of wealth, have nothing but rather mediocre (at best) personal 'skills' to get by with, and tend to fail pretty spectacularly :bangin:

That's true bro. I make a distinction between people who become "wealthy" and those who become "rich".

People who show their riches are often showing the external stuff i.e. gold, watches, cars etc etc..

Showing wealth is rather covert where value is "hidden" ie if you own large amount of good stocks and land etc.

Over time one obviously devalues much faster than the other.

But hey..

We have this site and a good family here who enjoy this hobby for the right reasons :D

That's true bro. I make a distinction between people who become "wealthy" and those who become "rich".

People who show their riches are often showing the external stuff i.e. gold, watches, cars etc etc..

Showing wealth is rather covert where value is "hidden" ie if you own large amount of good stocks and land etc.

Over time one obviously devalues much faster than the other.

But hey..

We have this site and a good family here who enjoy this hobby for the right reasons :D

I know what you mean, it's like rappers flashing their bling 24/7, but still having the attitude and manners of a street punk... I think it's definitely a certain personality type who behaves that way when fortune smiles on them. It's like a guy here in the UK who won a few million on the lottery. He couldn't deal with it, and carried on acting like a punk (driving by people and throwing Big Mac's at them, for example) just with 'nicer toys' :bangin: I think at the end of the day, the majority of the membership here are people who truly appreciate 'watches', and are passionate about them. The knowledge base on how to build/modify/repair watches is certainly more indepth than that on other genuine forums :drinks:

You forgot the best one of all...

4) People wear mechanical watches because of the "tick tock"

I LOVE to listen to mine tick. :tu: Each one is different, some are petulant and some are melodious and some sound like my Land Rover at -30F with thick oil. It gives them character, whether they're gen or franken or rep.

You forgot the best one of all...

4) People wear mechanical watches because of the "tick tock"

I LOVE to listen to mine tick. :tu: Each one is different, some are petulant and some are melodious and some sound like my Land Rover at -30F with thick oil. It gives them character, whether they're gen or franken or rep.

Oh yes! :tu: Can't beat the tick of a hand-wind movement, such a different sound to the tick of an automatic. Fantastic sound :tu: