When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Building a budget 1016 rep/franken

alligoat

I have to blame my buddy LHOOQ for this in large part. His beautiful 1016's have inspired me in this build. And in addition, he was most gracious in passing on one of his surplus dials to me. It's a very beautiful rep dial which has been relumed in a fine 'vintage bone white color'. From there I picked up an old 1601 DJ case and a gen 24-600 crown and went to work.

Next, I turned to a faithful compadre, jmb, and had a sweet bezel turned to fit the 1601 case and the Clark's flat top T-22 crystal.

At that point it was a matter of putting together a few more parts and I was there.

I had an old Swiss 2824-2 which, from all indications would fit in the 1601 case, a set of Clark's hands with good lume, and an old Hadley Roma croc/leather strap which I added a Yuki Rolex buckle to and I was almost there.

But I needed one more piece to the puzzle, a spacer ring so that the 2824-2 would sit properly in the 1601 DJ case. To the rescue, stilty appeared and sent me a 1520 ring. With that, I was able to anchor the 2824-2 in the DJ case securely and complete my 1016 build.

P1010143.jpg

It's been a fun build. I love the lume on the dial and hands. I finally got to use the surplus Swiss eta 2824-2 which I'd had for 4-5 years (it didn't fit in a 16014 franken build from years gone by) and the watch passed the WR test at the watchmakers.

The only thing I didn't do is drill the lugholes- they're just a little too close to the edge and it wasn't that big a deal for me.

P1010142.jpg

I may put the rep 7836 bracelet on it, but I do like the leather/croc strap. This has been an economy build, but it still ran $400-500 depending on whether or not you count the surplus parts that went into it. I like to think of it it as an updated 1016 with the improved motor (2824-2).

Thanks to my buddies for their help. Sorry about the pics, but the watch looks a whole lot better than the pics.

Thanks guys. The only thing about this watch is that it's relatively pristine. The case dates from around 1963 as I recall, and is in good shape with almost polished lugs (not brushed) and of course the bezel is new, smooth and shiny, NOS crown, new hands and a cool matte dial. I'm assuming Rolex quit making these around 1990 about the time the 5513 went out of production. So 1016's are anywhere from 20 to 50 years old. Like the 5513, it had a pretty good run and is a tribute to the simple clean design that is vintage Rolex. I have no plans to vintagize this watch, I'm just going to wear it and enjoy it and try not to tear it up.

I love it on the brown croc, M! Omega got the basic look right with the resurrected Railmaster, but this is perfect for those who prefer Oysters. And, boy, does it look good in profile!

I'm glad I was able to contribute to a terrific build. Wear it well, and age it naturally! :thumbsupsmileyanim: