When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Auction + fundraiser sales area closed

Admin

Due to continuous abuse of the auction + fundraiser sales forum (Members never donating after selling items, members posting items on several forums, etc.) we have decided to close the auction sales area. It will no longer be possible to post new threads in the forum and all ongoing auctions are to be treated as closed by the admin. This means that all bids placed are no longer valid.

We are sorry for the inconvenience and will hopefully be able to find a better solution for sales like this in the future.

I never realised that this would happen to the extent that it meant closing the section...its a shame especially on those doing it..

Hopefully there is way this can be resolved as its a great way of raising needed funds for the forum....:thumbsupsmileyanim:

2 main reasons why these areas were closed down;

1. New members withno or few posts being able to create ads and sell stuff. Several members have ended up with problems

2. Very few people actually followed up on their donation promise. We have a lot of honest sellers who did of course make the donation, but considering the amount of ads/sales going on here, the donations were minimal, to say the least. Most of the time when we tried contacting the sellers, they claimed the watch had been sold on a different forum, although the rules cleary states that the watch was only allowed to be listed for sale here.

I am looking into alternative solutions ;)

Hmz, thinking out loud here:

Maybe a donation upfront to be able to sell as a new member an a new section? Like a fee to put up the ad. It's very common in my country to pay for an ad.

Minimum post count is not the solution as they will be spamming the board with useless posts

Otherwise everyone should be a VIp or Plat member ;-)

Maybe it's best just not to have it. Card carrying members only for sales.

I figure buying from members who've never given over any details to the forum (like PP deets), leaves the buyer with absolutely no recourse should something go wrong. So I avoid them anyway.

It may encourage the non-upgraded to upgrade if they want to buy and sell.

Let's create a listing fee, for example $10-15 per topic created.

This will make the sellers being serious to sell the watch here, and by using a confirmable payment method (eg paypal) you will also be sure about the sellers identity.

Maybe you can also state that the payment can only be made to the email the payment was sent from for the listing, which the admin will confirm.

You can even do escrow under XX posts, (eg.: watch payment made to forum admin, he tells seller payment is okay, seller ships the watch, buyer confirms receipt, admin releases payment to seller) for a percentage - additional earnings for the forum.

Also you can make a monthly membership too for like 2-3x the listing price, so it will be valuable for regular sellers

What a bad news...but I totaly agree with Admin.

It ain't charity place, even they do business with no honest!

But I suggest Admin can set the permission little bit high. Have to be the VIP member first, then start to sell watch or anything. And make the donation on everytrade. (At least avoid some walk-in guy with no honest).

I think a "real" member doesn't mind the rule.

IMO - Keep it simple -- if they don't upgrade they don't get to sell.

If people can't understand how much time and money it takes to run a successful site they shouldn't be given the opportunity to use and abuse it. There is always craigslist for them.

• 3 weeks later...

When I saw this thread I at first considered suggesting that the forum's moderators serve as brokers. But that would be messy and a pain. So here is an alternate suggestion: Continue to leave it up to the "free market," but have the purchaser make the donation on behalf of the purchaser. Then, the seller sends the watch only after they receives confirmation that both the donation and the seller's portions have been paid.

• 2 weeks later...

How about a notice that says any bidders who do not follow through with their intent to purchase, might start getting used to the taste of hospital food?:black_eye: