When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Datejust 16000 Fraken build need help!

Kahn

I got a 16000 datejust case from a friend who didnt want to invest the time in building. Here is what I have:

• 16000 Case
  • Caseback
  • Fluted Bezel

I am sourcing all the parts to build and have read alot but I am confused on a couple things. Help me out?

• Serial # is 8385XXX…..is that an 80′s?
    • Which ETA movement would be the best/easiest to use for this case?
    • Is there somewhere to source an adapter ring for an ETA movement?
    • Which size dial is correct for this case? It’s confusing!

I'm going with (sourcing):

[*]Rep Jubilee band

[*]Gen Clasp

[*]Gen Crystal (plastic)

[*]Gen Crown

[*]Gen Tube

[*]Gen Hands

[*]Gen Dial

[*]ETA 2892-A2??

[*]Gen Date Wheel??

Your case dates from 1984.

The best movement is a 2836-2 because it takes the datewheel overlay the most easily.

Stilty has the adapter rings, he's on this forum. It might also be able to get them from raffles-time on the bay, but I don't know how they work.

You want to use a gen dial if possible, a rep dial might be too big to fit. You cut off the gen dials feet and glue it to the movement ring or the movement spacer.

You'll need eta hands to fit Tudor- you can buy them from Clark's for around $15- nostalgia_2000 on the bay.

Rolex hands won't fit an eta movement.

datewheel overlays can be found at cubic-works.com- they're in HK.

I'm not sure if you can fit a 2892-2 in a DJ case. Maybe with a stilty spacer ring- you'd have to ask him.

Good luck

2836-2 is the easiest route to go. You will just need a thin rep overlay.

If you want to use a genuine rolex date disc, you will either have to sand it down until it is very thin. Or, use an ETA 2824-2. It is more complicated, as you will need to swap out the cannon pinion, hour wheel, 4th wheel to a taller hand fitting height in order for the hands to clear the dial markers. Easy job for a watch maker. This way the thicker genuine disc will fit between the dial and movement and turn without getting snagged or hung up. I have a holder that will work for either movement in the 16000 case. I also have some genuine 3135 date discs in champagne. (same date progression as eta) They are rare open 6 and 9 font. Will be perfect for the 16000, as the modern fonts are now all closed, and smaller.

hope this helps.

• Like 1

If you want to use a genuine rolex date disc, you will either have to sand it down until it is very thin. Or, use an ETA 2824-2. It is more complicated, as you will need to swap out the cannon pinion, hour wheel, 4th wheel to a taller hand fitting height in order for the hands to clear the dial markers. Easy job for a watch maker. This way the thicker genuine disc will fit between the dial and movement and turn without getting snagged or hung up. I have a holder that will work for either movement in the 16000 case. I also have some genuine 3135 date discs in champagne. (same date progression as eta) They are rare open 6 and 9 font. Will be perfect for the 16000, as the modern fonts are now all closed, and smaller.

hope this helps.

Can a 2824 work in place of a 2836?

Can a 2824 work in place of a 2836?

Hate to be Captain Obvious, but the answer is in the post you quoted. :bangin:

hope this helps.

2836 will fit easy. The stem isnt exactly lined up but its close enough to work. Every rep dial that i have personally seen is way bigger than the gen dials so gen might be your only option. Luckily they arent very expensive. You can use the adapter rings from Raffles-time but they need to be modified. They didnt fit into the case so I had to take about 0.5mm off the outside diameter, then you need to notch it for the movement tabs because the whole ring is too tall.

dizz

Just a few more things to figure out, still digging for the answers:

• On getting the GEN dial....make sure it's for 3035 movement? So it fits in the 16000 case and on top Stilty's adapter ring?
  • Tube is ok, threads look good....what size is the crown on 16000 case?

AND A HUGE THANK YOU TO ALL for your answers and advice! I appreciate you VERY MUCH !!

Edited by Kahn

Just a few more things to figure out, still digging for the answers:

• On getting the GEN dial....make sure it's for 3035 movement? So it fits in the 16000 case and on top Stilty's adapter ring?
  • Tube is ok, threads look good....what size is the crown on 16000 case?

Yes get dial for 16000 case... 16030 for example.

Crown is 6mm

• 3 weeks later...

Stilly sorry i can't sent PM. I would interesting in adapter for eta for datejust?

hope this helps.

"On getting the GEN dial....make sure it's for 3035 movement? So it fits in the 16000 case and on top Stilty's adapter ring?"

Any dial for a 16000/16200 etc quick set DJ will fit the case...3035 and 3135 dial foot location is the same.

+1 for Stilty adapter ring :thumbsupsmileyanim:

The problem is how i can contact with Stilly? He can´t receive PM.

I looking for a datejust silver dial... and i don´t know if goes for a gen or a franken.

• 2 months later...

Yep, can't get a hold of Stilty so has anyone confirmed the Raffles Time ring would work on a 2836 based project like this one? I'm eyeing having one built with a 16013 case, or I could hold out and try to get a decent 16233 case.Thanks/

You can get the spacer rings on ebay for about $2. I bought a bunch of them and they work just fine. You just need to file a tiny bit of material off where the movement retention tabs go. Very easy and no need for expensive spacers.

I have an extra gen 16030 silver dial if you need one.

Yep, can't get a hold of Stilty so has anyone confirmed the Raffles Time ring would work on a 2836 based project like this one? I'm eyeing having one built with a 16013 case, or I could hold out and try to get a decent 16233 case.Thanks/

I used the Raffles Time (I believe it was the #2) ring in a 1601 case with a 2824. It worked well, but with mod. I didn't find that it was too large, but as Diz said you have to machine some notches for the case clamps. No big deal. It's a five minute job with a Dremel tool and a cutoff wheel. For anyone building frankens or modding watches a Dremel is a must have item. Or, you can do it with a file.

Oh, 2824 and 2836 is the same diameter so the ring will work. The other thing one must be concerned with is the height of the winding stem. It needs to match up (fairly) well with the center of the case tube. The 2824 or 36 differ in this respect.

When you're working with gen parts with rep parts or the otherway around, not many things are straight forward and bolt on.

[This hobby is not for the weak of heart, is it? Lots of stuff...lots of stuff]

Edited by preacher62

[This hobby is not for the weak of heart, is it? Lots of stuff...lots of stuff]

Heh he, yeah that's why I'm going to have it built for me. I won't attempt to start Dremeling something or filing something I care about. Maybe if I had spare practice parts but.. I'm just going to leave this one up to a pro.

I will be sure to forward your comments about the Dremeling and filing to the watch smith. Thanks! I think I once read that the plastic spacer rings from cheap reps may work as well although they aren't going to add to the weight for the watch to make it more like gen. Also, I've read a situation where a movement enlargement ring may be needed. I couldn't find one of those anywhere. I'm sure that would've been mentioned more if that were something essential though.