When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

ID's on genuine forums, is yours the same?

panerai153

I spend a fair amount of time on some of the genuine forums, mostly looking, but I do have a number of genuine watches, and it's nice to see what's going on. Also they do have lots of good photos of genuine watches, which are useful for reference.

While reading through the threads on the forums, i occasionally see the same names that I see over here on RWG. I think that if you use the same name here and on the general forums, you are taking a chance. I would suspect that quite a few members of the genuine forums visit this and other rep forums, sort of "nosing around", looking at what is going on, checking up on the latest replica watches, and possibly checking on who is posting, etc. Most of those folks aren't stupid, and if they see names that are appearing on their forum as well as RWG, they may put 2 and 2 together. Unfortunately for the RWG member, the name may be coincidental, and belong to a different person, but you could be "guilty by association" The consequences could be that your name is circulated around the genuine forum and no one would sell to you, or if you tried to sell parts, watches, etc. you may have problems.

One thing to remember, most of those folks don't have a "live and let live" attitude. they hate replicas with a passion, some are such purists they scream if someone sells a watch with any aftermarket parts, even if it's clearly stated in the sales posting.

I would think that to be on the safe side, i would have a completely different user name, with no connection whatsoever to your name on the rep forums.

Maybe I'm overreacting, but it's always better to be safe than sorry.

Mine is generally the same everywhere. I do that because I am not creative and don't really have any nicknames... If you see someone on another forum with the same username as what is listed over on the left <--- chances are it is me LOL (more than likely it is me).

Now as for having a problem as long as you are a straight up person I don't think there would ever be a problem. The problems arise when people hide things or flat out lie about something. I realize there are people on the genuine forums who really don't like replicas but yet these same people tolerate things like invicta which is frankly just as bad as a replica just without the name-brand dial. If people aren't going to accept someone who likes the style of the watch and wears it for just that then they have some issues to work out and I don't have time to be bothered by them.

I maintain separate identities on Gen forums. I even avoid using the same photos whenever I can. Also, sadly, no "Girls with Swords"....

My main reason for doing this is: Should I decide to sell one of my many GENs on said forums, I don't want to be reported/referenced back to "that guy on the rep forums", casting doubt on my credibility as a seller.

I´m an active Member in one german gen forum and I realized, that most of the members recognize pictures that were posted in other rep and gen fora. As result my name and avatar are totaly different in the rep and gen world. As ronin i´m aware not to post the same pictures, even not the same backrounds or settings.

But since i joined RWG i´m less and less active in the gen forum :whistling: .

I just like the atmosphere here.

If you are concerned about cross checking of user names and using common pictures do you also maintain different accounts at image hosting sites? PP too? Seems like you would have to in order to keep the two identities from being connected.

Personally I don't worry about it too much but have considered it from time to time. Too late for me now since I have the same ID at both. I suppose I could always change one.

If you post reasonably regularly and have a somewhat unique screen name go plug it into Google and no gen person will ever deal with you. ;)

That is exactly the point I was trying to make, just what you and Ronin said. If you visit the genuine forums and occasionally buy and sell there, you are asking for trouble if you use the same name, avatar, etc.

Buyers are always asking for references, or they will start a thread, " Does anyone know Joe Shmo from Kokomo, on WUS, for example. He's selling a Breitling Chronomat that I'm interested in"? All it takes is one guy to write," sure I know old Joe, he deals a lot in replicas over on the rep forums". Guess what, you might as well pull that sales thread, because none of those guys will buy anything from you.No matter that the watch is genuine with all the papers, boxes, etc. Your credibility is shot.

What we have always maintained here is the best way to stay out of trouble is to "Fly below the radar" as much as possible. There is no way to monitor the traffic on the replica websites, no one knows for sure who is here looking around. Better to be safe than sorry. Of course if you never buy or sell genuine watches,parts or accessories then you could probably care less what they think. however you never know when you might see that part that you have been searching for for months show up on one of the genuine sales forums. Why take a chance?

Its hard to get around human judgment, its what we do best…some may put you down for posting on a rep forum while others may think you are too uptight if you don’t. I’m too tired to venture from the truth,,,it is what it is..if someone has an issue that this forum is my favorite place to virtually be,,,that is cool…

"One thing to remember, most of those folks don't have a "live and let live" attitude. they hate replicas with a passion, some are such purists they scream if someone sells a watch with any aftermarket parts, even if it's clearly stated in the sales posting."

After 25+ years attending watch shows etc all over the Eastern/Southern USA, I have met a lot of these 'purist types', from 'unknown' to 'somewhat famous'.

I will say this...most of them are A-b-s-o-l-u-te P-r-i-c-k-s (I got c-e-n-s-o-r-e-d) and do not know 10% of what the average 'moster-poster' on RWG knows about watches. I've had them tell me some of my 100% genuine watches are fakes and then try to buy the fake I was wearing after inspecting it for 5 minutes.

VRF is a prime example of a bunch of these characters gathered up in one spot. :group:

I'm basically a motorcycle guy and was used to everyone being Ok when a group with similar interests gets together...but watchfreaks are a totally different breed.

One actual conversation (more or less):

WF: "How much is it?"

Me: "Three."

WF: "I'll give you 2500 dollars for it."

Me: "That's three hundred dollars...it's a fake."

WF: "No it's not! I can tell a fake when I see one, you're trying to back out!" :animal_rooster:

That was in 2003, that exact same watch (no date sub from WLD) is laying on my desk right now...and it's still a fake.

If you are concerned about cross checking of user names and using common pictures do you also maintain different accounts at image hosting sites? PP too? Seems like you would have to in order to keep the two identities from being connected.

Personally I don't worry about it too much but have considered it from time to time. Too late for me now since I have the same ID at both. I suppose I could always change one.

If you use Imageshack, or Imgur "no user registration" is required. There is no way to easily link you back. If you want to "add" credibility at the Gen sites for Gen sales, set-up an actual Photobucket (be sure to keep it all Gen, and throw in album with some kids photos-- LOL). PP should not be an issue at all unless your PP is somehow associated with your username on the rep side. If you have made it as far as PP with the person, I think you are fine.

Finally, if you don't deal with Gen's & Re-sale, then this is moot I suppose.

Edited by Ronin

I keep most of my online identities separate, that includes boards that are not related to watches and any kind of online subscriptions (newspapers, etc.).

Like it was said before gen sites may frown on your posts/sales if they think you are associated with something they disapprove.

However the main issue for me is privacy. I deal with large systems that are design to sniff on your life and help big organizations. I don't want that kind of invasion. It's impossible to prevent these days but why make it easy? ;)

No chance, keep them separate. You will eventually bring heat on a cross forum same name. I spend more time on gen forums than I do here, but they are a different breed, almost impossible to broach the subject of reps with them. In some cases it's outright banned even mentioning reps.

I've on occasions tried to stir the pot but its hard going and you will often be labelled a pariah! The usual stuff....which is true; rep enthusiasts know more about actual internals and mechanisms than the vast majority on gen sites...that gets em going!

Also rep enthusiasts flag more dodgy stuff on ebay than gen owners could ever even recognise! ....I need to calm it down at times.

On tz-uk its a little bit more open or less moderated, the mod allows talk about it for educational purposes...in other words he doesnt give a fc*k. The forum members however can be as seething as on wus, on occasions though you get the odd one or two, who know their stuff and are more 'enlightened' shall we say! :rolleyes:

Edited by cougar1

On tz-uk its a little bit more open or less moderated, the mod allows talk about it for educational purposes...in other words he doesnt give a fc*k. The forum members however can be as seething as on wus, on occasions though you get the odd one or two, who know their stuff and are more 'enlightened' shall we say! :rolleyes:

The recent thread on tz-uk was quite frustrating but I managed to keep myself out of it. It's very difficult to understand other people's mindsets somehow...

The recent thread on tz-uk was quite frustrating but I managed to keep myself out of it. It's very difficult to understand other people's mindsets somehow...

:D It's funny you mentioned that thread, I was on it at one stage. You were better off staying out of it, it became very messy on a few occasions.

I agree with you, It's mind-boggling the complete disdain some have for reps, nobody was expecting them to say the they could like reps, but to completely blank some interesting arguments about the usefulness of reps and keep shouting 'fake', 'fake', 'go away trolls' was very childish, didn't expect much more to be honest though.

Interestingly the guys who did see some value in reps, or those that at least tried to see other points of view came across much as more informative and thought-provoking. Some of the others you'd swear never downloaded an mp3 in their life. Bigots mostly! Such is life!

And now tz-uk has degenerated to 'mental illness', 'idiots', 'scum' and 'fake [censored]'. Sigh

I don't know how you fake a [censored]. I've faked a few orgasms in my time, but when you're flying solo I don't see the point.

I guess I don't know what the censored is lol... but faking anything like that (orgasms) is never fun or good. Probably better to let the other party know they are screwing up or they will continue doing what doesn't work. You know just my experience and all LOL. Oh and I hardly ever post on the ol' TZ site, I do browse their classified sections probably on a weekly basis just to make sure I am not missing some killer deal. (I have missed a few already LOL some seiko that was running around here was missed...)

Like before I don't mind mine being the same... I am open and honest in my dealings. I haven't sold any watches though I have all of my past purchases and wont be selling unless I have to sell them to make bill payments or something like that. I do sell other stuff, computers, electronics, photography equipment, pens, LOL. Everything I sell I try to do locally, I picked up a square reader and accept credit cards. I let people know I don't do checks and prefer cash however if they have a card I will accept them also. And more importantly I don't haggle on prices lol, I price what I am selling low or at what I feel is a decent price. Unless it can be had cheaper somewhere else or there isn't a way to verify the items or services.

When I buy anything genuine I make sure I have all boxes, papers, and that it is checked out. Now I know that some of the times it isn't possible to have all of that and still be able to get a good deal. So in those cases if I feel it's a good seller I buy it but I have a receipt and name/address of seller as well as confirmation it is what he/she claims. When I sell something (anything) I offer everything I have on it, my receipt, boxes, papers whatever I got with it. (I have the actual boxes for a laptop I purchased over 10 years ago still sitting around, with the original sales receipt and all papers, manuals, restore cd's... I also have receipts from the memory I added, and updated hard drive on it, and when I sent it in to Sony under warranty all papers with it. My SOSF that was bought second hand. I don't have any reason to doubt the seller but I have the original ad saved, I have the receipt and emails from VAC when it was serviced and lumed. All because if I have to sell it someone might want it. I expect others to have that kind of stuff however I know that majority don't have it. So when I buy something I take it at what can be proven, has it been serviced (lets see some evidence of it or I would have doubts). But if a seller says I bought this from X, and X said this, this, and this, I don't know know for sure but here is what it looks like. I would do some research on the seller and X then I would look at the stuff he was selling. Regardless of it being replica sales or ebay sales or genuine sales what I would be looking for is if the parties were satisfied. If I am buying a genuine from someone who was active on replica forums and he didn't have any paperwork or boxes from his stuff. I would be suspicious but if he had sold items before to either group I would look at them and see the ads he posted before and if the other party was satisfied with what was received. I would also ask that he be willing to accept a third party verification either he could take it to get verified or I would take it to be verified (only if no papers were included) before the transaction be considered finished. But if he had the papers and such I would have no problem especially if others were satisfied in past dealings.

I don't see that it would be a problem with dealing in other merchandise. If someone doesn't want to because they think you might be trying to pull a fast one on them or scam them, you have to really look at your actions. Because if you are an honest straight up person and have the evidence you are selling what you claim to be selling there shouldn't be any reason to think you would scam someone.