When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A Tudor 7922 small crown sub

chiman12

I recently converted my 6538 into a 7922BC.

P1014027.jpg

I have a spare 7922 200m dial that I was always not quite happy with the gloss finish. I have taken quite an interest in trying to achieve different looks of vintage dials. So I experimented...coming up with this vintage finish...

P1014149.jpg

Here is the cased up result...

P1014151.jpg

P1014156.jpg

Next up is to relume the pearl to match the dial lume and fade the bezel insert just a little more to give it the bluish-grey color.

Now to go back to my 1675 and re-vintage that dial.

So...a 200m dial in a thin submariner case? Oh well, we'll just call it a transisitional model, even thought the twin lock crowns go to 100m (I think?) I couldn't find a 1035 (and don't have the funds!) to convert this bad boy to a 6542.

Thanks for looking everyone

That is a great watch.:thumbsupsmileyanim: :thumbsupsmileyanim: I really like theTudor 7922. Where did you get the dial?

One of the nice things about the Tudor as opposed to a 6538, is it's "below the radar". Lots of vintage Rolex folks know enough about hte 6538 that they would recognize it, but if they saw a tudor dial, what the heck,just another one of those Tudors.

I tried to get one of the Yuki 7922,s but they must have only made a few, and they are now discontinued.

Very, very impressive! The dial texture is a real improvement from your GMT's. :v:

I'm looking forward to similar projects in the near future! :whistling:

What do you guys use to build that texture? I have matt clear spray but it doesnt look chunky like this one. This is the exact dial look I want to achieve on my 6538 project.

dizz

One of the nice things about the Tudor as opposed to a 6538, is it's "below the radar". Lots of vintage Rolex folks know enough about hte 6538 that they would recognize it, but if they saw a tudor dial, what the heck,just another one of those Tudors.

Good point P! The Tudor subs are a rare beast seen in the wild...maybe this will be another Tudor sub that never existed...like the 7206 :whistling:

What case set is this??

L...for the 7922BC

Yuki 6538 case (rehaut a little wokky for a 6538)

Custom Natalie dial

Tudor 390

NDT big crown

Yuki 7206

for the 7922

old skool Tudor case (1st gen from Natalie or Phong?)

not sure of the dial (possibly Natalie or Phong)

Tudor 2461

Yuki 7206 bracelet.

What do you guys use to build that texture? I have matt clear spray but it doesnt look chunky like this one. This is the exact dial look I want to achieve on my 6538 project.

dizz

A technique I've read about (but not tried myself) is to apply a coat of matte varnish, and then blot it with a piece of kitchen roll to get that texture :)

A technique I've read about (but not tried myself) is to apply a coat of matte varnish, and then blot it with a piece of kitchen roll to get that texture :)

I'll have to give that a try. Thanks Teejay!

HEY! Another "puffy" lume dial! LOVE IT!~ :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I got the same grainy matte finish by applying Krylon Workable Fixatif (#1306) on the dial before re-luming and after. It's available at any art supply place and is for protecting pencil, and pastel drawings from smudging. By applying it first, any screw-up with the lume or coloration later can be removed without harming the dial.

post-10110-0-82139100-1300458522.jpg

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

P1014027.jpg

I have a spare 7922 200m dial that I was always not quite happy with the gloss finish. I have taken quite an interest in trying to achieve different looks of vintage dials. So I experimented...coming up with this vintage finish...

P1014149.jpg

Here is the cased up result...

P1014151.jpg

Who made that dial?

Gorgeos build.