When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My 16520 Project

omgiv

Hi Guys,

It seems like my projects always seem to drag on forever. I think that I have most of what I need to complete this one and check it off of the list. The only thing I am missing is a genuine bracelet and I have a lead on one. Anyway, here is a list of what is going to be used:

Zenith 400 movement with genuine Rolex center wheel, chronograph wheel, minute counting wheel, cannon pinion, hour wheel, hour counting wheel, hour counting wheel bridge, setting lever, yoke for the sliding lever, rotor, and intermediate setting wheel. The last piece of the puzzle was the intermediate setting wheel. Thanks again Chief!!!!!

Phong case (while not perfect, it is better than others and cheaper than a genuine)

Genuine bezel

Genuine pushers

Genuine crystal

Genuine dial and hands (not crazy about the way Rolex is packaging their new dials)

Genuine monobloc crown and tube

It has taken me a long time to get the funds up to do this project and I know a lot of you will ask why do it. I enjoyed the search for almost impossible to find parts and the joy of putting it together myself. Anyway, here are some picture of things so far. I will post more when I have them and keep this thread updated. I have also measured the Zenith and Rolex pivots for all of the hands (except Rolex running second hand) and will post that later as well. Thanks for reading and comments are always welcome (good, bad, or ugly)

Parts assembled

DSC_0001.jpg

New dial

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

New bezel

DSC_0004.jpg

Case assembled with genuine crystal, bezel, pushers, crown, and tube

DSC_0016.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ditto BGGodwin's comments. This will definitely be a very accurate 16520 (externally).

However, I always question the logic in constructing these frankens when you can purchase a 100% gen 16520 for only a few grand more (16520s can be had in great shape starting around $10k). I certainly get the do-it-yourself aspect of the parts hunt/build, but, when you factor in the time it took to gather all the parts, the cost to purchase/assemble them & the fact that you can never sell it as a gen, it does not compute for me. Still :drinks:

Agreed, they don't come cheap as there is little option. Movement alone > 800 euros. Genuine 16520 parts very expensive. Dial > 500 euros. But it can be done < 3000 euro with aftermarket parts.

I hope DW wil be able to produce case set at reasonable prices ranged like the vintage daytonas sets.

Which makes me wonder what the set-back is on the phong case.

Nice project :wub:

Edited by slickdick

This one is going to look amazing, omgiv, I love posts like this! :bounce:

While I am coming to the realization that spending thousands of $, € or whatever on a franken and projects like this generally will need a lot of consideration, a 16520 is on my list also.

I prefer an El Primero franken over the gen actually, 36000 bph and a truly legendary movement beat Rolex's version any day. Thirty something percent of a gen is tough, but the possibility of building one of these with gen everything except the midcase makes it worth it imho! Also the feeling of finding something rare and almost unobtainable and finally installing it in your watch is hard to beat!

Please keep us posted, can't wait to see the finished product!

This one is going to look amazing, omgiv, I love posts like this! :bounce:

While I am coming to the realization that spending thousands of $, € or whatever on a franken and projects like this generally will need a lot of consideration, a 16520 is on my list also.

I prefer an El Primero franken over the gen actually, 36000 bph and a truly legendary movement beat Rolex's version any day. Thirty something percent of a gen is tough, but the possibility of building one of these with gen everything except the midcase makes it worth it imho! Also the feeling of finding something rare and almost unobtainable and finally installing it in your watch is hard to beat!

Please keep us posted, can't wait to see the finished product!

the gen:franken dollar ratios don't mean much, really. dollar amount is what's important and a savings of ~$6k is substantial. not to mention the thrill of the chase in building up the franken. and i have no doubt that these high dollar frankens do resell. many have in the past. but personally i won't put that theory to the test. mine's a keeper. i's probably is too.

very nice project.. I had two of these frankens (now down to 1). just ripped apart my black one last week as I sold the gen case (with gen case back and bezel) last week. Now have the zenith movement and chrono hands left in my part box and a gen TT band :Jumpy: been collecting parts here and there due to my indecisive attitude (as my girl said it).

here is a pic of the old duo

IMG_2085-1.jpg

very nice project.. I had two of these frankens (now down to 1). just ripped apart my black one last week as I sold the gen case (with gen case back and bezel) last week. Now have the zenith movement and chrono hands left in my part box and a gen TT band :Jumpy: been collecting parts here and there due to my indecisive attitude (as my girl said it).

here is a pic of the old duo

IMG_2085-1.jpg

Yours were a big part of the inspiration for mine...

Thanks for all of the replies guys. There are indeed some very nice examples on this board (most of which inspired me). I have the dial and hands mounted and now have to figure out what to do about the pushers. I think that I have a solution but just need some time to work it out. Anyway, I have been getting several questions as to why I used so many genuine parts. The best answer is ease of assembly. I would rather not broach hands if I have to. Plus, I didn't know a lot of the genuine measurements when I started.

One of my goals was to have a 2 position stem, instead of the stock Zenith 3 position. I knew that the clutch lever was the main difference so I changed that out. I used the Zenith set lever and date corrector, but the date corrector wheels weren't meshing deep enough causing a rough feeling when setting the time. The combination that fixed the problem was the Rolex clutch lever, set lever, and intermediate setting wheel).

Clutch lever (Rolex on left)

DSC_0011.jpg

Set lever with date corrector/intermediate setting wheel (Rolex on bottom)

DSC_0015.jpg

Keyless works

DSC_0017.jpg

Ready for a dial

DSC_0023.jpg

Dial on

DSC_0027.jpg

Hands in place

DSC_0030.jpg

I also wanted to give the measurements that I got from the different parts

cannon pinion (for minute hand) Zenith .98mm Rolex 1.08mm

hour wheel (for hour hand) Zenith 1.49mm Rolex 1.59mm

Chronograph wheel (for chronograph seconds) Zenith .21mm Rolex .25mm

Running seconds Zenith .21mm Rolex ??? (don't have one but it is probably .22mm)

hour totalizer Zenith .23mm Rolex .22mm

minute totalizer Zenith .22mm Rolex .22mm

Agree with Chief.. that's great info for alot of memebers who attempt the 16520 project. It appears that every now and then there are memeberswho want to attempt 16520 project.

chefcock, yes i have a zenith movement (modded) and hand sets in my parts drawer. perhaps i should list the zenith movement (with hand sets) on sale forum during the weekend.

Agree with Chief.. that's great info for alot of memebers who attempt the 16520 project. It appears that every now and then there are memeberswho want to attempt 16520 project.

chefcock, yes i have a zenith movement (modded) and hand sets in my parts drawer. perhaps i should list the zenith movement (with hand sets) on sale forum during the weekend.

Thank you flex, thank you chefcook! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Great guys to deal with! Another 16520 is comming soon..