When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Added DRSD to order

Bark3rd

Its just such a cool watch, I know it has its inaccuracies but who wouldnt want a gen of one of these! My question is how do you wear it? It is a lot of watch to wear around Rolex hounds (my business brings me around these types). Although I carry the reps well (always in suit and tie) not sure about this one ($98 Josh Asia). If anyone ever asks if I have a rep on I just say "maybe, maybe not-you tell me" as I own many gens as well. Ive only been called out once, on purpose really-wanted to see if the GMT would fool my boss who is a big time collector. Came close, he's so good he figured it out when messing with the crown/movement. We had a good laugh and he was very impressed with it. Anyway, my only other reps are pretty good ones like the Retro GMT, UPO, and GMT2C. But, the DRSD is a different story, not at all like pulling off a GMT or Sub. So, how do you rock one of these? Will I be called out all the time? Should I beat it up and make it look old? Honestly, I dont get off on being called out, I'd rather avoid it. Not sure if the DRSD is for me, seems like Id be explaining it too often. Few other reps, in my opinion, present this particular problem of rarity (not counting very poor reps-thats a different deal).

If you want a vintage that you can wear around gen rolex people then you are gunna be out of luck unless you want to spend a grand or so. The new Exp2 1655 from Josh is OK, but its still not going to fool anyone who knows vintage Rolex. The only out of the box DRSD you could wear and maybe get away with would be a MBW but i would go for the much more comon white dial and not the double red. Double reds are $25,000 in the real world and pretty freekin rare. Keep your eyes on the sales section for a nice modded 1665. You can pick one up for about $400 and up depending on parts and quality etc.

Andrew Shear was selling a MK4 gen, 5.25mill SN for $22,500 over at VRM yesterday. I keep thinking I've seen lesser examples for sale in the $15K range. Of course, no one has ever really questioned me about any of my reps (or gens for that matter), but like Dizzy, I stay away from the DRSD because they are so expensive these days. I opted for the GWSD rep and have enjoyed it, and I consider it a little less conspicuous. But if someone asked about one of my reps like the GWSD, I'd admit that it's like a late 70's SD but that I'd built it from parts. Good GWSD's run $9-10K these days, so what's wrong with building a good rep for $500? Reps are a great way for watchaholics to control their addiction w/o going broke or having to get divorced.

Totally relate to this. I have 2 "watch guys" I see all the time, one my boss who wears a Zenith and a Chopard, the other another co-worker with a Blancpain. Since they know what I make they have no problem believeing my DSSD of even my vintage GMT are gen, but I would never rock a DRSD or Comex or something like the Chronopassion, because they would defitely ask about them and the gig is up.....5k I could own, 35k not so much.

The thing about a watch like the DRSD is that only serious collectors will know (or appreciate it for) what it is. The vast majority of people you will come across do not know the difference between a Rolex Sub & a Seadweller, let alone a DRSD. On the other hand, if you expect to be wearing a rep DRSD among watch enthusiasts (& I am not referring here to the average Rolex owner - who knows NOTHING about the vagaries of vintage Rolexes), I would either choose something else or be prepared to spend a bit of time/money to construct a believable franken (mixture of gen & accurate aftermarket parts). Most fake DRSDs look that way. Research gens here & then compare to reps before hitting the Buy button.

Will I be called out all the time?

Probably not. Like Freddy said, most people have no idea what it is, and the red lettering means nothing to them. They'd have no reason to question it, but might comment on "why is that red?"

Should I beat it up and make it look old?

That isn't always a good indication of age. Lots of vintage watches still look pretty good. But there will be an overall sheen of "It's been worn. A LOT."

Honestly, I dont get off on being called out, I'd rather avoid it.

I think you've answered your own question. Most people won't know what a DRSD is, so no biggie. But the people that do know live in pretty rare atmosphere and when you're called out, you won't just get a curious glance ... more like full-on scorn. Not pretty.

I appreciate your replies, this hobby is funny! Had a mgmt luncheon with my boss present yesterday, right away I spotted he was sporting a new "limited edition" Bvulgari yellow gold Chrono, an awesome honker. No one else at the Tag and Sub infested table noticed, at the end of the meeting I complimented him on it. He ate it up! Lol, he knows I like watches and would have been disappointed if I hadn't noticed it. Unfortunately, he is the type that knows ALOT about watches but has no love for reps. I just wear my gens when I know I will be around him. I would like to build a nice 1680 or something, really not too interested in a regular old Sub, our company gives them out for awards so everyone has them. They also give out gold Presidents and the winners are expected to wear them. Argh! Wouldn't it be hilarious if when I win one of those (and I will) I sell it and replace it with a super rep!

I've told the story a few times on here, but it's a good one so I'll tell it again.

I wore my Ziggied MBW DRSD into the Rolex dealer at the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas. I wanted to see the new (at that time) GMT with the ceramic bezel. The young lady showing it to me asked what I was wearing so I handed it to her. She looked it over, twisted the bezel and then asked it it was broken or a fake. I asked why and she observed that the bezel twisted both ways and didn't click.

The old guy at the end of the counter perked right up. He hustled over, took one look and got out a pair of white cotton gloves. He snatched the watch out of her hands and looked it over carefully. Then he asked if I knew what it was. When I told him of course I knew what it was, he said he couldn't believe I was actually wearing it.

I assured him that I only wore it when I knew it would be appreciated!

LOL

When returning from a biz trip to Panama, the young Customs guy asked to see my watch. I took it off and handed it to him and told him that I didn't get it in Panama - I told him the watch was probably older than he was. He looked me straight in the eye and said he knew EXACTLY what it was - he just never actually saw one in real life.

Double LOL

I was at Sports Authority here and an older guy pulled in next to me with the identical Corvette convertible in yellow. We got to talking and I noticed his watch - a very impressive piece but I cannot recall what it was. He had a pretty strong accent (I thought maybe German) and told me that he has been in the watch business most of his life. His factory made the dials for Tudor watches years ago. I showed him mine, a Ziggied 1680, and he was very impressed with it.

So, "Yes," you can most definitely wear the vintages without concerns.

Bill

I have a pretty well modded DRSD, and I wear it everywhere. I've worn it into AD's and lots of areas where there might be other watch lovers (not down here where I live!!) At any rate, I never worried that it wouldn't stand up to scrutiny, as everything is genuine except a very good aftermarket dial, and the MBW case. My feelings are if you expect to wear it around folks who are fairly knowledgable about watches, you need to have a believable example. I don't think any of the current crop of "Vintage Rolex" watches from the various dealers fall into that catagory. If you build up one from a MBW, or one of the other very good cases (Phong, , etc.) you can put together a 1665 or 1680 that would pass the scrutiny of all but the most knowledgable of vintage Rolex folks.

I have said before and I really believe that if you look like someone who could afford a nice watch, and have the presence to wear one, you will probably not be scrutinized nearly as closely. If you look like you can afford it, most folks will assume you can. On the other hand if the 17 year old guy who is working at the local hardware store, loading potting soil, and lumber is wearing a Rolex I'm going to be pretty skeptical. He may have saved up for the watch since he was 14 or it could be a graduation present from his family, but that would be the exception rather than the rule.

As far as encounters with anyone other than the "rare as hen's teeth" true vintage Rolex expert, most folks wouldn't know a DRSD from a DSSD or even a Rolex from any other black dial, S/S dive watch. Honestly, unless you are a WIS, you probablyt never even give another guys watch a second glance.

Nice stories, B!

I was wearing my modded MBW DRSD and popped into a store for some tools. As I left I saw the jewelry department had something big going on so I detoured inside. Lo and behold, there's all these guys in suits with trays of the new Rolex models (this was about 5 years ago). They assured me I needed to sit down at the expensive glass counter and have an expensive cup of coffee in an expensive glass cup, while they trotted out these sparkly new watches about which I cared not a whit. All real watches wear acrylic domed crystals, after all.

So I held a few and clucked my tongue and "admired" them, wishing I could escape (in their defense the coffee was very good) until an elderly gent wandered by behind the counter, doing the Grandfather Time impression, just as I reached for another model. My sleeve slid up and lovely stainless steel glittered. He glanced down, and did the world's biggest Deer-In-The-Headlights impersonation. Imagine The Scream by Edvard Munch and you're close. With muted voice, barely above a whisper, he muttered "My God, that's a RED" and reached with trembling hands. "May I??"

I didn't have the heart to say no, so I handed it over the counter, asking him to please hold it above a padded surface (like it's never been bashed on a rock before??). With the utmost care and reverence ... I swear he had his staff put on Durufle's Requiem as he held it ... he asked if he could work the movement, I said sure, why not? So he gently unscrewed the crown, he smiled with near ecstasy at the feel of the threads, and he (wait for it....) turned the crown. That's right, he set the time on an old steel tool watch. As if it was the Mona Lisa or something. I doubt anyone but his wife has ever seen that expression on his face.

I didn't have the heart to tell him it was a fake. I think he would have cursed me in a dozen languages and thrown me out, or burst into tears. I'm not sure which.

Anyway, yeah you can wear the beasties. But you're on thin ice. Ya gotta know your limitations. You've got to be prepared with an answer for when the question comes.

"Is it real?"

and he (wait for it....) turned the crown. That's right, he set the time on an old steel tool watch. As if it was the Mona Lisa or something. I doubt anyone but his wife has ever seen that expression on his face.

Not that I want to disparage your story, but surely as he turns the crown and realises that the hands move in the opposite way from a gen Rolex movement he would realise it wasn't real?

(Forgive me if I'm wrong on that particular detail but that's what I thought was a big tell ETA vs Gen R calibre movements)

Not that I want to disparage your story, but surely as he turns the crown and realises that the hands move in the opposite way from a gen Rolex movement he would realise it wasn't real?

(Forgive me if I'm wrong on that particular detail but that's what I thought was a big tell ETA vs Gen R calibre movements)

That's why to take it to that final step, you have to have a genuine movement as well. :thumbsupsmileyanim: :thumbsupsmileyanim:

• 3 weeks later...

Oh, no need for apologies. I just compared them, and on both the rep and the gen the hands turn the same way when you turn the crown: clockwise with the crown produces anticlockwise with the hands.

Wow, first, really enjoyed reading the stories guys! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I wouldn't go with a DRSD either unless it was a franken work of art, which there are many on this forum. A $100 fake to me (and mind you, I realize we are INDEED on a replica watch forum) would just be disrepctful to the original.

Though franken builds do not hold the value of a gen article, they certianly demonstrate a wealth of knowledge from the builder who is recreating that piece.

I feel learning these little details is kinda a weird form of respect, like getting to know a person.

:rolleyes:

A mildly modded franken single red sub or as stated, a great white, would be appropriate in my opinion.

These are def my most enjoyable timepieces to wear bar none. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

11075419.jpg

72101339.jpg

Edited by cht

• 3 weeks later...