When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Daytona 6239 FAP: Peruvian Silver

lhooq

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

M, amazing! I thought I had already read all your posts. How did I miss this? You could put all your build posts together and publish a great coffee table book. I'd buy it!

Now, there's an idea. We all love digital media, but it will be nice to have something more than just a Calendar. There are plenty of amazing builds here and some great photographers that something like this can be done.

If anonymity is an issue, then the Kodak print and order online should make this easier. Wedding photo albums are done this way as well.

E

• 2 years later...

UPDATE -- AUGUST 20, 2014

i-RL2DXJZ-X3.jpg

This is a long overdue update, but I've got excuses!  In my defense, it's been an unusually hectic summer, and the time to sit down and write about watches has been in shorter supply than I'd like.  Secondly, I still haven't put together a good photographic setup to match the one I had a couple of years ago.  Well, to misquote Rumsefeld, you don't take pictures with the setup you wish you had.  Similarly, you write using the free time you've got.  

I moved back to Canada in 2012, and by the start of 2013 I was enjoying my proximity to one of our community's greats--The Zigmeister.  He'd done an amazing job on several of my watches, and I figured I'd send him one of my favorites, the FAP 6239, for a service.  As Buzzfeed would say, you won't believe what happened next!  Upon removing the caseback, Zig found that the Valjoux 72 movement had been mounted so precariously (“beyond repair… stem is completely misaligned with case”) that he refused to touch it.  What had happened?

Turned out that the 6239/V72 case I'd ordered from DW (one of several) couldn't actually accommodate a V72!  Up to now I'm still not sure if it's supposed to take a 7750, a Mystery Movement, or was just machined badly.  So way back in 2011, jmb had expended all that effort to machine and reshape what turned out to be a bad case.  And my poor watchsmith in Manila was given the near-impossible task of making the wrong movement fit.  Somehow he managed it, but the solution was ugly and dangerously so.  I told Zig to hold tight while I sent him three more cases from my increasingly worthless pile of DW parts.  One of them worked.  The movement was serviced, installed, and returned to me in March 2013.  

So now I had a 6239 that ran well, but within a stock DW case.  All of its character was gone, and I was sad, barely giving it any wrist time.  What to do?  I was hoping that jmb could repeat what he'd done before, but -without going into details- circumstances prevented lightning from striking twice.  Next stop was Akira, whose modding talents have been improving by leaps and bounds in the past few years.  I was close to shipping the watch head over to Germany, but what I'd been hearing about trans-Atlantic rep seizures was scaring the crap out of me.  I would still love to collaborate with him in the future, but the prospect of losing a Daytona in the mail was not something I wanted to consider.  

Ultimately, I went local and janeto72 gamely took up the challenge of reshaping/refinishing the Daytona case by hand, and transferring the gen bezel and crystal from the old watch.  That was at the start of the year, and it’s been a busy time for the both of us.  At long last, I got the watch back two months ago.  The result is subtler and far less-weathered than before, but -like with my 7032- JT's work is excellent.  Lugs were slimmed and blunted, and holes widened.  The caseback also got a straight-brushed finish similar to that seen on many genuine FAPs.

So let’s go see the new batch of photos.

The bulk of the work can be seen in profile.  As on the old case, it was crucial to remove the sharp points and form blunt tips to match earlier Daytonas.   The case is still thicker than I’d like, but there’s only so much you can do when starting off with DW’s case.  
i-DzTwc9p-X3.jpg
i-G4dwkKn-X3.jpg

The crown isn’t as inboard as before, but “the tumah” has been kept under control.  Shape-wise this case isn’t far off from a 6262.  
i-vSLTKxn-X3.jpg

A closer look at the engravings and the refinished caseback.  Still this watch’s “Easter Egg”!
i-B4cZzkF-X3.jpg

I do like this watch on OEM Rolex ostrich:
i-XT7rfjR-X3.jpg

But it’s just about perfect on beat-up rivets:
i-njBHCks-X3.jpg

And a bonus group shot:

i-gSn826f-X3.jpg

The important thing is that I’m wearing it again, and loving it!  Big thanks to janeto72 and The Zigmeister!  Repeat thanks to jmb, alligoat, and mcotter!

:elvis:

Very nice watch and write up! Did you ever wear it with a strap?

Yes, lots of times, though I had to take the watch off after walking in the sunlight and heat for more than an hour.  I was starting to sweat through that ostrich skin!

(Wait, you did read the update on page 3, right?)