When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

DJ Face-lift

jmb

I recently scored a great gen engine-turned bezel on flea-bay and told my wife I was going to have to build a new watch around it. Her response was, "Nice bezel, are you serious!!??" That was followed by one of those "I should have you committed" stares... I decided it reasonable (and prudent) to compromise since I could find no valid argument to rebut her claim that I was unlikely to wear more than one at a time. Since the bezel was for a plexi crystal I decided to transfer my dial to a different case with lug holes.

Last time I ordered cases my supplier told me he had DJ cases specifically for 2824 movements so I ordered a few because I figured the stem height should be a bit closer to gen. I did verify that just transferring across the then current 2836/dial combo did indeed put the stem in a serious bind so I swapped the dial and hands over to a 2824. I then drilled lug holes in the rep case, installed the proper Clark crystal, and pressed home the new bezel - it looked fantastic! I have a gen crown laying around somewhere and will install it whenever I find it. Someday I'll find a reasonably priced gen case but for now I think this will do nicely.

DJ 1.JPG

DJ 2.JPG

DJ 3.JPG

DJ 4.JPG

DJ 5.JPG

krp - When I first got into reps I didn't like/wear anything that didn't have CGs and I have now just about did a 180. I really hate the "big" (over 40mm) watches and to me nothing looks dorkier that a skinny wrist with a huge watch hanging over both sides - sorry! I don't have skinny wrists but I am drawn toward the elegant simplicity and "stealth" of the under 40mm group