When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

bones

Gah, it's blimmin massive, but for you, i'll do it :p

Well, modding fever is ongoing in the Bonesey household. Mrs Bonesey being very understanding :p

Lets take apart some GMT! This is as it came from Silix

uzBW8.jpg

Just some profile shots of before for reference. As you can see it has the reference 1680 between the lugs. Which initially led me to think that this was using the same case as my single red sub but with a different crown and insert. There are however some very minor differences in construction, especially the seating for the crystal that make me thing they are actually different, just with wrong engravings.

C7y8Y.jpg

43oMP.jpg

N8A1L.jpg

8tvtp.jpg

Caseback sticker claims it's a 16700 which of course is a later edition of the GMT Master with the sapphire crystal but still with springbar holes and hollow end links.

YjkYj.jpg

No surprises here, basic 21j GMT movement and plastic movement spacer.

GYdeW.jpg

Engraving on the caseback says that it's a 5513 which is of course wrong :p Some kind of rep franken monster!

tvE7Q.jpg

Stem came out no problems at all, but after removing the movement from the case it wouldn't go back in. I really didn't want to force it in, i resorted to pressing in the stem release button and it seems to be working fine.

HuVKp.jpgg9lfl.jpg

I popped the crystal out from behind using my thumbs with no great issue. Worked around the inside of the bezel insert with the case back knife to break the glue holding it in.

rXWJg.jpg

Most of the construction is the same as the 1680 to be honest. Not much difference at all.

1WSbq.jpg

First thing was to soften up the case. This is the most time consuming thing so I sat down with something on the tv and worked away. This is a pre-softening lug.

SxARh.jpg

And afterwards.

9oe9u.jpg

It looks a bit rough at the moment but that will get smoothed over a bit and the case sides given a re-polish.

aCw9Q.jpg

The CG's also needed a bit of re-working. Taking a bit off the top and creating the sloped angle that I have on my other 1675. Making the bottom of the lugs flush with the case and smoothing it round a bit. These are shots with one CG done and the other still un-modded.

V16Go.jpg

rhYN7.jpg

JnoZp.jpg

gBLyZ.jpg

And that's as far as I've gotten today. Wife is at work all day tomorrow some I'm sure I'll keep going.

Cheers for reading.

Ok, so back on track. I finished off the case softening and CG shaping. I'm quite happy with how it came out.

bYDqa.jpg

vna2C.jpg

15SfR.jpg

jOXCy.jpg

Final step for the case was to give it a once over with a cape cod cloth in an attempt to soften some of the tool marks. I must admit it didn't really do a huge amount. I think a few things might need to change, firstly, a finishing file with a much finer burr. Secondly, get a cheap bench mounted polishing wheel at some point soon.

UG7TI.jpg

As you can see, it's taken a little of the edge off the scratches, but nothing major.

oadVq.jpg

MCt0K.jpg

Well with the case done the next step was to sort out the dial and hands. Using a dial protector so that I don't scratch the dial (kinda silly when I'm gonna go throw it under a grill) and using lever style hand removers. These are a lot easier to use than the presto ones, and a lot less chance of damaging any of the cannon pins or hands tbh.

QtYjW.jpg

Everything lined up on midnight.

OW4Y4.jpg

As I was shifting the dial protector round it moved the GMT hand :/

Gg9bB.jpg

And voila! all done.

qlM0U.jpg

After that it was a simple case of loosening the dial feet screws.

QXL9C.jpg

And pulling off the dial.

1UZUJ.jpg

How the dial looks untouched .

QYEm5.jpg

First thing I did was to give the dial a coat of varnish. I actually cocked up and put a bit too much on.

l5Qiq.jpg

While the varnish is drying it's time to raid the cupboard under the sink.

uFem9.jpg

Glass of water on the left and a pair of tweezers for this one.

UUHsC.jpg

And plop, in she goes, give it a bit of a swirl about and then wait.

YFGw1.jpg

After about 1:30 min i move it slightly to see if there's any change.

FnZ9H.jpg

So, bezel went in and out a few times giving it about a minute soak each time. I then removed it and dried it off to check the fading.

f7KGx.jpg

Not enough, so in it went again.

XGcEY.jpg

And sprayed with some of the clear varnish just to seal it.

yoZWy.jpg

Now to prepare the tastiest dial you've ever seen, just pre-heat your grill at setting one and place the dial underneath for as long as you see fit :p

a8Q47.jpg

I actually was too hasty and put it in before the varnish at the bottom of the dial was totally dry. So, at the 6 o'clock area I have some bubbling, which I'm quite liking. So here's the bezel and dial all finished up.

n6fFq.jpg

Next time to paint the lume on the hands. As this dial isn't as dark as the red sub I decided to water down the stain a little bit.

05JvT.jpg

Just checking them next to the dial to get a reasonable colour match.

RXRxJ.jpg

Now the dial is back on the movement, and you can see how fine the canon pin is for the seconds hand, so easy to break!

GRhVJ.jpg

Date nicely centred thankfully.

SG7J7.jpg

The hand setters I'm using are almost identical to the ones that JMB sells on here. If you get a chance to pick some of his up I would recommend it.

nRYn1.jpg

Setting the seconds hand is the only time i really use a loupe as well. Just to get placement spot on.

Pc2uH.jpg

And that's us all finished up..

WAiY0.jpg

Cyclops lined up straight and crystal pressed back in.

V35Bs.jpg

Everything back inside the case, making sure that it is all aligned.

opgDS.jpg

Greasing the caseback o-ring.

MP1BZ.jpg

04q9b.jpg

Replacing the insert in the bezel and using a little hypo-cement to keep it in place.

B2zrJ.jpg

All done!!

iS0xL.jpg

Bracelet on and a few wrist shots.

LuGvH.jpg

QhR6K.jpg

And with it's sibling.

1Asre.jpg

We're spoiled for great how-to's in the last week. I love your progress, bonesey. Are you planning on challenging jmb for the Cheap Ba$tard crown?

Dude, I'm such a Cheap Ba$tard I just think about projects to do :thumbsupsmileyanim:

• 2 weeks later...