When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I Finally Have an Explorer

jmb

All of the Explorers I've built and bezels I've made and it finally sunk in that I didn't have one! LH00Q was nice enough to take pity on me and allow me to acquire his old "mongrel" Tiffany Explorer dial. I remember all of the discussion about the logo not being quite right but I really didn't care and always had liked the dial. I drilled some holes in one of my new rep 2824 DJ cases, got in a shipment of clone 2824 movements, and it all sorta came together on this Independence Day!

I attempted to "age" the hands bu my stain mix turned out too red so I'll have to re-do this later. On the wrist it doesn't jump out quite as bad as in the pics.

Not a whole lot to say about the model as Explorers have been discussed in depth.

Build List:

1 - Rep Datejust case for ETA 2824

1 - "Refinished" Explorer - Tiffany and Co. dial

1 - Clone ETA 2824 movement

1 - Rep riveted vintage bracelet

1 - Custom machined bezel

1 - Rep 6mm crown

1 - Clark T22 crystal

1 - Set of sub hands

2 - Ofrei 2mm spring bars

Tiff Exp 1.JPG

Tiff Exp 2.JPG

Tiff Exp 3.JPG

Tiff Exp 4.JPG

Tiff Exp 5.JPG

Tiff Exp 6.JPG

Preacher - I order the cases from a guy in GZ that I buy all of my parts from. I order the majority of them without crystal and bezel but a couple with a fluted bezel and sapphire crystal. PM me if you want me to add one for you to my next order - about $35.

TJ - Not the dial but will take another crack at the hands to get them a bit closer to the dial...

M - I'm going to try some "Golden Oak" stain if I can ever remember where I put it!

TJ - All I have is Glow, Inc. lume so that'll have to do...

JB,

What about some of the cheap acrylic yellow paint (water it down) and some light tea to stain it?

It's hard to tell which color you have from the pic, but you have to be your own Picasso when it comes to matching colors.

I was happy with the yellow acrylic and a little bit of brown mixed in on one set of hands for one of my watches.

The lume glows thru the acrylic paint, BTW.

I was pretty happy with the yellow/brown staining I got on my last Daytona, using an alcohol/iodine mixture. I'll be trying it out again this week, when I attempt to match hands with old, sharp cheddar-colored markers.

I dunno M....sounds a little cheezy to me!

:)

What about some of the cheap acrylic yellow paint (water it down) and some light tea to stain it?

I take it then that these acrylic paints are water based?

Yes. Easy on the water though and wipe the paint off of the sides of the hands gently. It's not the best in that if you get water in the case it could be a problem, but at that point you have other problems and the stuff does dry and cure so to speak.

And it is cheap!

I dunno M....sounds a little cheezy to me!

One gouda pun deserves another... You feta believe I'll brie back!

Isn't a 5500 34mm? That would make a nice Air-King or Oyster Perpetual...

The little Explorers are nice watches, too! Also, Yuki's 5500 dial is probably the only good Explorer dial they sell these days.