When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Something that ran through my mind since I woke up

Dear fellow friends..

Today I woke up and received an email from someone and it moved me to tears. Yes.. I am a grown up but nothing over the years had left me thinking so much after reading such an email.

About few months back, I had this customer (he lurks around in the Forums too) by the name of Douglas Woods. He bought a vintage SUB from me and told me he love modding and shared alot of stories. Being the busy me, I do read the emails and replied him short and sweet. More emails came along and he talked about his passion for modding and how he has so much free time because he is hospitalised and had been fighting cancer for the past 2 years. He had a hip fracture after that and was bed ridden but still chat with me on emails when he can... I never doubted his words and even send him many parts and also a free watch to keep him busy. You may ask me why I did that but I lost my loved one to cancer too many years back when I was young.

I last heard from him on 7 May when he told me he was transferred to the "final stop" cancer ward... This morning, his son dropped an email to me and thanked me for making his dad enjoy the last days with all the watch modding and watches he love. It was the most saddening email I ever received in my whole life to know such a nice man has left the world. During his last days fighting cancer, I never hear him complain much and always his emails sound jovial and enthusiastic about watches. I seldom write such a long thread but I just felt that this was an experience that I want to share with forumers who might know Doug Wood (nick is moosewood).

Condolences to his family and I hope his boys will get over this ordeal and become great men like their dad.

Thanks for listening.

Dear fellow friends..

Today I woke up and received an email from someone and it moved me to tears. Yes.. I am a grown up but nothing over the years had left me thinking so much after reading such an email.

About few months back, I had this customer (he lurks around in the Forums too) by the name of Douglas Woods. He bought a vintage SUB from me and told me he love modding and shared alot of stories. Being the busy me, I do read the emails and replied him short and sweet. More emails came along and he talked about his passion for modding and how he has so much free time because he is hospitalised and had been fighting cancer for the past 2 years. He had a hip fracture after that and was bed ridden but still chat with me on emails when he can... I never doubted his words and even send him many parts and also a free watch to keep him busy. You may ask me why I did that but I lost my loved one to cancer too many years back when I was young.

I last heard from him on 7 May when he told me he was transferred to the "final stop" cancer ward... This morning, his son dropped an email to me and thanked me for making his dad enjoy the last days with all the watch modding and watches he love. It was the most saddening email I ever received in my whole life to know such a nice man has left the world. During his last days fighting cancer, I never hear him complain much and always his emails sound jovial and enthusiastic about watches. I seldom write such a long thread but I just felt that this was an experience that I want to share with forumers who might know Doug Wood (nick is moosewood).

Condolences to his family and I hope his boys will get over this ordeal and become great men like their dad.

Thanks for listening.

Thanks for sharing, you did good on this one!

Very honorable. I have an uncle who is going through treatment right now and while its not really discussed, it seems that prolonging the eventual is the best we can hope for at this stage. His hobbies and small business are his only real relief from worrying about mortal things, and are in many ways better than any 'therapy'. What you did for that guy was really great and I'm sure was a significant part of making his final days actually enjoyable.

You did a good thing there Andrew.

Reminds of the beginning of 2008 when RWG members supported me in my fight against cancer.

It did mean a lot to me to share a passion that we have for watches and the clear your mind from the

worries and fear you have.

Luckily it turned out towards a recovery and , up untill now , a cancer free life for more then 3 years now.

You helped Douglas a lot that i know for sure.

Carpe Diem

Cats

I didnt help Doug alot at all. I even felt that at the moment I read the email this morning, I learnt more than he learnt from me. Always keep a jovial mind even to the last days of your life. It helps to make the loved ones around you worry less and enjoy the lovely times of the journey. Doug made me felt that way...

Its funny that as we grow old and our time on this planet gets shorter, the value of time and the instruments that keep track of it become more important to us. Thanks for sharing a rather sad, but very inspiring story Andrew.

It is always painful when we lose a friend like this, if anything being a virtual friend on the internet can make it even harder as you find it difficult to imagine how serious the person is nor have the chance to adjust when you can see the end approaching.

Thanks for sharing this Andrew, we should all be aware that there is much more important things out there than watches.

Ken

Andrew, Taking the time to share such a touching story makes me proud to be a customer of yours! I know that you're not just a fine watch marketer.... you're a fine human being. My sincerest thanks for sharing this story, you've made my day brighter! Regards, mcotter

Andrew that's about the best post I've read on any of the forums in quite a while, it's made my day to read that someone else still cares. All too often it seems to me the world just forgets the plight of others. Thank you for making a good man's final days on this earth a little better. :)