When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Finally finished my project after 21 years

Nanuq

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you must have lost more than a couple night's sleep during that time :blink:

deltatahoe

Yeah, having it lost in Canadian customs for 3 months wasn't the worst part. The worst part was thinking "How am I going to explain this to J and keep my name on the Good Boys list?"

It eventually came back to me, packaging all torn to heck, with a huge orange sticker across the torn opening saying "CANADIAN CUSTOMS REFUSES ENTRY OF ALL COUNTERFEIT GOODS".

Pffffffft. Wankers.

And the best part? J kept me on the list. :tu:

Yeah, having it lost in Canadian customs for 3 months wasn't the worst part. The worst part was thinking "How am I going to explain this to J and keep my name on the Good Boys list?"

It eventually came back to me, packaging all torn to heck, with a huge orange sticker across the torn opening saying "CANADIAN CUSTOMS REFUSES ENTRY OF ALL COUNTERFEIT GOODS".

Pffffffft. [censored].

And the best part? J kept me on the list. :tu:

Awesome to see the word used by a non-Brit :good:

Awesome to see the word used by a non-Brit :good:

M8 I drive a '63 Land Rover now, eh? Doesn't that make me at least part British? :tu:

"My Land Rover doesn't leak oil, it marks its territory"

Pffffffft. Wankers.

can you imagine if they had seized the watch on grounds it was a [gasp] replica :o

some canadian customs official would have gotten a chuck norris kick in the pants for that, you can be sure :ninjastar:

deltatahoe

can you imagine if they had seized the watch on grounds it was a [gasp] replica :o

some canadian customs official would have gotten a chuck norris kick in the pants for that, you can be sure :ninjastar:

deltatahoe

NIAGRA FALLS!!!

Sloooooowly I turn, inch by inch... step by step...

:ph34r:

yea, canadian customs is like a lottery really, anything non expensive labelled stuff goes through without a problem usually. But 21 years!!! But it was wearable much before that 21 years have passed so 21 years isn't too bad.

That is a beautiful watch!!:thumbsupsmileyanim: :thumbsupsmileyanim: And what really makes it so wonderful is the story behind it. It's so nice to own one of those old vintages that have a story. That's the part that money can't buy.

Can relate to your Rover love.Iin 1992 my late wife and I drove our Series IIA from Mississippi to Halifax NS (no I Didn't get to see Ziggy!!) to join a group of other Rover nuts from the East coast and Europe. We drove across the Trans Canada, up the Alcan and finished the trip in Anchorage a little over a month later. Camped out all but two nights. Here is a photo from and Article I did for Land Rover magazine. Didn't mean to hijack your thread, but I thought you all would be interested in what sort of vehicle Nanug drives. It ain't for the faint of heart!!

Nanug, I love your watch. When folks talk about grails, that is mine. Especially one with a real history. The watch is certainly worth a lot, but the history behind it is priceless.

HalifaxHarbour_edited-1.jpg

Funny, but suddenly the word "grail" does come to mind :)

Wonderful piece, makes you suddenly understand what those guys on VRF are talking about when they mention "history".

No rep will really ever have that and that's why gens like this one are ultimately unreachable.

Enjoy it, I am sure your late friend will do so as well watching from above...

Panerai153, I love that photo of dipping your back wheels in the Atlantic!

If that were me, the caption would be:

"Nanuq dips his back wheels in the Atlantic, then stalls his engine. Not having a parking brake, he is now futzing with the choke and the suddenly recalcitrant start button, while cramming his foot down on the tired (and wet) brake pedal. Surely he is regretting not having locked his front hubs before attempting such madness? Soon there will be a mad flurry of activity as he simultaneously: bashes on the start button to disengage the screaming starter motor, releases the brake, stands on the throttle, and feeds the clutch out quickly enough not to roll down the crazy steep embankment into the Atlantic. Soon to be followed by gently spreading ripples, and bubbles ... as he rolls merrily backwards down to the bottom of the sea. It's a good thing he is wearing a waterproof watch!"

:tu: