When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Finally finished my project after 21 years

Nanuq

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Val, thanks.

A question: do you have a warm roof over your head? A wife that puts up with you? Kids that love you? A couple of true friends? Are you REALLY lucky and you've got a Boy Scouts troop?

If so, then you've already won the lottery... that's the stuff that really matters in life. :tu:

I had a used 1965 Triumph TR4A and them bought a brand new 1972 Triumph Spitfire MK IV. The TR4A was an electrical nightmare. Being young, and not real bright, I bought the Spit anyway!

Had a couple Lucas-powered motors myself over the years (still have the green 1)

Image1-43.jpg

79spit-beforeafter2.jpg

1978spitfire1.jpg

Image41.jpg

But Nanuq's 'Rover (with all those extras) is quite a catch. :good:

And Earl looks down from above and with a satisfied smile...

:) I'm not so sure he isn't, instead, looking up from below. He was quite the character. Boy the stories I could tell about good old Earl.

The Canadians customs loss kills me. Did you you have to prove to someone it was real?

No it just came home, barely taped shut, with a huge orange sticker and a scowl from my postman. Funny thing, the next time I sent it north it sailed right through.

Those fun loving Canucks! :tu:

Had a couple Lucas-powered motors myself over the years (still have the green 1)

Mmmmmmm BRG. Very nice. Hey Freddy I can safely say that a Spitfire will NOT float. Nope. Not even a little bit.

Mmmmmmm BRG. Very nice. Hey Freddy I can safely say that a Spitfire will NOT float. Nope. Not even a little bit.

Sorry to dispute your assertion, but back in the winter of 1973 I bought two oversized snow tires for my Spit. And I had them put the metal studs in, as studded snow tires were legal then. What I didn't know was the they didn't have the right size studs, so the kid doing it put longer studs than it was supposed to have. But they gripped great in ice and snow, and made a neat sound on dry pavement, and actually made sparks. Any way, while traveling down the highway at about 65 mph suddenly the whole rear of the car started swaying violently! At that speed the car was floating on the studs alone!

Sorry to dispute your assertion, but back in the winter of 1973 I bought two oversized snow tires for my Spit. And I had them put the metal studs in, as studded snow tires were legal then. What I didn't know was the they didn't have the right size studs, so the kid doing it put longer studs than it was supposed to have. But they gripped great in ice and snow, and made a neat sound on dry pavement, and actually made sparks. Any way, while traveling down the highway at about 65 mph suddenly the whole rear of the car started swaying violently! At that speed the car was floating on the studs alone!

:Jumpy: Oh Lordy! :Jumpy:

You're just messing with me, right? C'mon say it isn't so. Or I'll HAVE to try it myself!!

How long do the studs have to be to "float" my Red Rover?

Oh man, I'm gonna lose some sleep over this one. :Jumpy:

I've had the privilege of seeing this one up close and personal...

If I do say so myself, it's even more beautiful than images could ever capture...

:wub:

Hey Ubi, I'm forever in your debt for your help. It was one of the key steps toward putting it back to "all original" again. Couldn't have done it without you! :tu:

Nanuq, I noticed (could be wrong) the hours and minutes hands of your watch are in yellow gold while the seconds hand looks white gold,

Question : do you think the fact to use gold or silver hands on a vintage Rolex with a gilt dial could affect the value ? or its just a cosmetic matter ?

I have seen yesterday a 5513 for sale in a shop (10.400 euros :blink: ), gilt dial and silver hands, the combination of both is gorgeous

Edited by Rolexaddict

the hours and minutes hands of your watch are in yellow gold while the seconds hand looks white gold,

Question : do you think the fact to use gold or silver hands on a vintage Rolex with a gilt dial could affect the value ? or its just a cosmetic matter ?

That's a very good eye.

The hours and minutes hands are gold, and the seconds hand is silver. This is how they were delivered, when a lacquered gilt dial was installed. In most cases the seconds hand is actually white (gag) but Rolex seems to be all over the board with this. But the gold/silver(white) combo is correct, especially for the two toned silver/gold lettering on a gilt dial.

There is some confusion about "big" vs "little" for the lollipop circle on the seconds hand, but I believe the small circle is correct for the 6536/1. For the 6538 you want the big circle... the famous "big lollipop".

In the 17-jewel version of the 6536 you get even more confusion. As this is the 25-jewel "/1" model the gold/silver is okay.

• 4 weeks later...

Well gents, I was wrong. I reported earlier that I was finally finished with this project after all these years.

Then, the heavens opened and Ubi stepped through and he made an extremely generous gesture.

NOW, this project is finished. Thanks to Ubi and his kindness. :tu:

post-32-0-61303600-1313780156.jpg

Looks fantastic! Glad it arrived safe and sound :)

And it's a perfect fit, and color match. Thank you. :notworthy:

That change freed up the original insert, so... I'd found a vintage pearl with no fill on Ebay, and it happened to arrive last night as well. So I mixed up some antique white/almond lacquer and filled the pearl and pressed it into the insert. That beauty is going on my Snowflake when it comes back from its Arctic Spa visit. :wub: