When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The Impact Of Reviews. How Much Do Reviews Or Pictorials By Members Such As Pugwash Or By-tor Impact The Sale Of The Watch That They Reviewed?

Bigdoggy

This is an understandable concern. However, as far as I can tell By-Tor and Pugwash mostly concentrate on "good new stuff" that are of a certain production quality that pretty much all the dealers stock without much variance, so it seems unlikely this would be a major problem as a practical matter.

Because we both review watches we buy (or get gifted or win in raffles), and we both have a certain amount of taste (albeit different taste), we're usually only going to review good watches. :D

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way, I'm delighted to hear Pug is doing the IWC Guide. That's something I really look forward to. I wish people would arrange a "team effort" like the Omega/Breitling Guide and do one of Panerai as well.

I've read the history of Panerai but I don't know much about the watches and reps. That kind of guide would be interesting to read, even for us non-PAM fans.

By the way, I'm delighted to hear Pug is doing the IWC Guide. That's something I really look forward to. I wish people would arrange a "team effort" like the Omega/Breitling Guide and do one of Panerai as well.

I've read the history of Panerai but I don't know much about the watches and reps. That kind of guide would be interesting to read, even for us non-PAM fans.

I would love to see a Pam guide put together... there is so much information about the make and so much information about the various reps...I'm just starting to appreciate Pams and starting to consider buying 1 or 3...but you know, I don't quite know where to start.

And in response to the first post... Yes, the reviews by various members on these forums have influenced my purchases... It usually works out nicely that a watch I want (or wanted, as I now have purchased them) gets reviewed right about the time I start to seriously shop for it.

Reviews by members here haven't made me buy a watch I didn't want prior to the reviews... but I will admit that reviews have "moved" watches closer to the top of my wantlist...most recently the Omega P.O. went from "buy at some point in the future" to "buy that sucker NOW" due in large part to By-Tors review/guide...an equally large influence were other forum members posting their experiences with this fine watch.

I'd do it apart from the fact I don't like modern PAMs ... oh, and I know nothing about them. :D

i wanted a very accurate watch as my first replica and as soon as i read by-tor's review on the Tag Link chrono i ordered one from josh.these reviews are a god send for us noobs,they are informative and help you learn about how to compare a rep to the real deal.

So my thanks go out to the highly experienced members out there that provide us all with such a valuable source of information.

keeno

Edited by keeno

these reviews are a god send for us

Ditto- I think the real value is the ability to "see" the flaws and evaluate each rep model individually. I love the reviews because I can learn what flaws I can live with vs. what I wouldn't be able to tolerate. Keep up the good work guys!

Ain't that the truth. Everytime I'm here I try to gather as much info as I can by going through the old threads, re-reading them again and again. The funny thing is, there usually is something that I missed!

These guys done a really thorough job in reviewing.. I owe my current collection to By-Tor, Pugs, Ubi et al who always do good reviews IMHO

But tell ya the truth, those pictorials really puts in the final 'push' so to say :lol:

I think........................ this topic has the longest title ever :D:D

The reviews these guys write are very informative. We are lucky to have them on the boards. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Reviews by Pugwash and By-tor Impact the same of watches they review in a very positive way (= good for sales) :thumbsupsmileyanim: thus I think the dealers should send free watches to By-tor so he can write great picture guided reviews about them :)

Reviews by Pugwash and By-tor Impact the same of watches they review in a very positive way (= good for sales) :thumbsupsmileyanim: thus I think the dealers should send free watches to By-tor so he can write great picture guided reviews about them :)

But not me. Nice passive-aggressive stance there. :D

With Pugy's and By-Tor's impressive photography and reviews skill, I will not hesitate to send both of them watches to be reviewed and photograped if i was a dealer. Companies pay big bills in ads for there products to sell. The only probs is By-Tor has to be specific of what watch he is familiar with to review.

I've usually bought a watch on the strength of what I see as being accurate and appropriate for my wants at the time, and then read a review of it because it was an excellent rep. An example being the TAG Link Chrono which I was the first customer to post about in these forums, having bought it less than 30 minutes after TTK advertised it!

Likewise I decided to track myself down a Breitling Seawolf Ti and within a day of doing so the buyers' guide appears listing it as top Breitling rep!

I've usually bought a watch on the strength of what I see as being accurate and appropriate for my wants at the time, and then read a review of it because it was an excellent rep. An example being the TAG Link Chrono which I was the first customer to post about in these forums, having bought it less than 30 minutes after TTK advertised it!

Likewise I decided to track myself down a Breitling Seawolf Ti and within a day of doing so the buyers' guide appears listing it as top Breitling rep!

I agree, my interest in the Tag Link came from r11co's review rather than anyone else's. Pugwash and By-Tor do great reviews, but I tend to already have those watches so it doesn't impact on me as much. A few people who should get credit on being early adopters and getting people into other brands are people like sql_pl (who, in my opinion, was responsible for the popularity of the IWC GST Chrono and Ingeniuer) and to a lesser degree tonton2000 (got me interested in the Cartier Pasha Seatimer). There are other pictures that do well, V has some good stuff (and straps) with his PAMs, and don't forget ThomasNg for the Vacheron Constantin Overseas, AP Royal Oak Jumbo and watches of that ilk. Credit to cwai02 for great info on the Omega Planet Ocean too.

A lot of good people around :victory:

Me too...on the purchase of the Tag link Chrono. Direct result of the review.

By-Tor and Pug are the best sales staff this site could have.

Pictures and reviews are great for the collector. They make good reps look

great. And great reps look perfect. All done with mirrors.

No doubting the quality of the photos :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I think it was by-tor (or maybe V) who had a chronicle of their original photos to how good they are nowadays... shows how you can improve. I really should start doing it myself... is it possible with a 2MP camera phone ? :g:

I think it was by-tor (or maybe V) who had a chronicle of their original photos to how good they are nowadays... shows how you can improve.

What an excellent idea. :D

I'll have to do that to see how much I've improved since February 2006.

From ...

137631-17844.jpg

to ...

137631-17845.jpg

From ...

137631-17846.jpg

to ...

137631-17847.jpg

I have bought 23 watches this year and I just found RWG in early Spring. About half of my purchases were influenced by members reviews (the other half were impulse buys). Pugwash and Neil's pictures probably influence me the most as this is what get's my mouth watering. Then the actual reviews round out the overal picture followed by The Zigmeister's experiences.

I had to stop buying this year in July not because my wife said too, God bless her she just smiles when she sees me with a new watch, but because I added it all up and I told myself I needed to start practicing a little restraint. This has given me some time to plan more carefully my 2007 purchases and it will be the reviews that will guide me the most. So, those that put in the time to produce these - thanks for your contributions.

My last watch of the year was to be the blue faced PAM that was popular this Summer but it got lost in the mail so have settled on replacing it with Neil's IWC GST mostly because of Pugwashes pictures and comments. I settled on the SS model as I liked the look a little better. Hope to receive it this week.

The reviews and pictures make it a lot easier to make an informed selection. Please keep them coming.

Usil

Now my daughter turns 5 months within the hour I've also received my 5th rep last week... proud to tell this is the IWC GST Chrono which was heavily advertised in multiple reviews. Also don't forget the photo pictorials shot by pl_sql comparing the white SS, black SS and titanium version in one great photoshoot!

Compared the watch to the GEN today with on of my co-workers who bougth it years ago. He couldn't go any further than asking if changing the date and day also works fine just like his watch GEN and hope it will list me a life-time as well...

hope this will be true indeed. If not, I guess I'll have the movement be replaced by an ETA 7750 if possible ;-)