When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

L series 5513

Omega

Specs:

- L series MBW case, thinned and reshaped/polished, CGs shaped, lugholes drilled

- gen service luminova dial, correct for L series case

- gen luminova inlay

- gen crown/tube

- gen endlinks

- gen 93150 bracelet

- gen springbars

- WSO bezel, reworked to fit on MBW retainer

- hands with luminova relumed to mach gen dial and pearl

- 1665 plexy, top shaped down on machine and polished (gen T19 is on the way)

- caseback reshaped and polished

- ETA 2789 with 21.600 bph, serviced, oiled, regulated, date module removed, to a two-position-setting modified

- tight movement holder made by myself on a lathe

...and not to forget: A lot of hours of work! Not to finish the project - rarher to get it perfect! ;)

Edited by Omega

Fantastic piece.

The service dial isn't 'technically' correct for the 1988-1989 L series unless it's undergone a Rolex service , at some point after luminova was introduced to the dials in replacement of tritium. But let me tell you, I do like that srecent serviced look over the vintage look myself.

The gen bracelet is a real treat, but so darn expensive I couldn't personally justify one on a rep/ franken, truth is Rolex bracelets feel cheap. I had a 14060m after my Smp and couldn't believe how flimsy and cheap the bracelet felt in comparison to the omega. I know Rolex purists will shoot me down but that's my opinion based on my own comparison.

Enjoy wearing that beauty, I'll enjoy looking at your pics as I await my own 5513 and it's return from Domi.

Just out of interest I'd like to hear more about the case thinning

very nice. a couple questions:

why the WSO bezel?

why a modern 703? (to match the hands and dial period i assume?)

this is about as good as it can get without magically raising the crown height position

i had everything to build a very similar one ,all gen tritium (dial, hands, insert) except bracelet links (had gen clasp and 580s) they sit in my parts box, so its wonderful to see one completed, makes me question my tritium route with that glow on yours.

Fantastic piece.

The service dial isn't 'technically' correct for the 1988-1989 L series unless it's undergone a Rolex service , at some point after luminova was introduced to the dials in replacement of tritium. But let me tell you, I do like that srecent serviced look over the vintage look myself.

The gen bracelet is a real treat, but so darn expensive I couldn't personally justify one on a rep/ franken, truth is Rolex bracelets feel cheap. I had a 14060m after my Smp and couldn't believe how flimsy and cheap the bracelet felt in comparison to the omega. I know Rolex purists will shoot me down but that's my opinion based on my own comparison.

Enjoy wearing that beauty, I'll enjoy looking at your pics as I await my own 5513 and it's return from Domi.

Just out of interest I'd like to hear more about the case thinning

True, tschnically it's not correct. But after a complete AD's service the watch would look like this. And I like the combination of the modern in vintage housing. I have a 1680, a 1665 and a 1655 - but I am not happy with it. The 5513 is now my favorite! My direction in future will be every vintage Rolex to build with service dials - like next project: A 1680 with service dial (just came a few hours ago in), also my next Daytona V72 6265. But a service dial + hands for the Daytona are over 1000,-€. So the invested money I will never get back...just have to calculate the whole cost and decide if I will go for or not.

About case thinning: The sides are thinned to get the springbars more out, because the MBW is too thick/fat - thats all. Case height should be OK.