When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Just build a budget 5513

dutchguy2

So I bought the best 5513 version from Josh with 21J movement for 118 USD plus shipping. It is a kind of replica from the MBW 5513 and has even "POLEX" between the lugs.

As the MBW it accepts a gen crystal. I was lucky to find a used 25-19 crystal for 40 USD. I had to sand down the botom mm of the crystal to have the retaining ring fit.

The crown is to thick but it is pretty easy to sand it down a bit, won't be the same as a gen crown but for a budget build it can do. The crown guards are to short and to thick, i sanded them smaller, more pointy and took a little of the case, there where the tube goes in the case, to make them a little bit longer.

I had a vintagized insert laying arround and put that in the bezel. Of coarse you can vintagize the insert that comes with the watch.

Then I relumed the dial. The stock dial looks ok but has no lume. The hands are ok.

Here is the result for 118 plus 40 USD plus a little lume and labor.

67e804bf.jpg

01f94d3a.jpg

c904a4a5.jpg

I'm not finished jet, need to do some more sanding/filing and polishing.

Thanks for looking.

Looks great but you've got to do something with the crown. It's way too tall. Maybe a gen crown would fit on the existing tube, or like you said, file down the crown that's on there.

But it's a good deal for what you've spent, now you just have to hope that the a21j holds up.

Looks great but you've got to do something with the crown. It's way too tall. Maybe a gen crown would fit on the existing tube, or like you said, file down the crown that's on there.

But it's a good deal for what you've spent, now you just have to hope that the a21j holds up.

Yes, your right a gen crown would make a difference. I have a couple at home but they don't fit in the exsisting tube and I am awaiting some tubes for the gen crowns. The one on this watch is already filed down :victory:

The 21j are prety stable and you can buy a new one for arround 30USD.

Off topic, how is it going in Texas? Any trouble with the fire?

• Like 1

Looks good, expect the crown ;)

So for this small amount of money it's a winner for shure.

The Base Case Looks good in my opinion, how about the Retaining Ring is a gasket needed to held on the Crystal?

Snaps the Insert in the bezel?

Thanks for the compliment.

No, there is no gasket needed. It s actually the same as the MBW I had. The insert snaps in the bezel and stay's there very secure without any glue. There is even a gasket space under the retaining ring like on the gen (although they forgot a gasket :black_eye: )

Thanks for the compliment.

No, there is no gasket needed. It s actually the same as the MBW I had. The insert snaps in the bezel and stay's there very secure without any glue. There is even a gasket space under the retaining ring like on the gen (although they forgot a gasket :black_eye: )

Great to know,

so I'm thinking to buy some budget ones to build some nice Vintages.

The Csae seems a really good base and after a complete reshape and some Gen Parts it will be really nice.

Edited by Tribal

I took the crown from my Josh 5513 and chucked it in a variable speed cordless drill leaving enough space between the crown and the chuck to get a sanding disk in. Then I used a 1" sanding disk, turned over, in a Dreml tool. You set the sanding disk at the angle you want on the base of the crown, then turn the Dreml on slow and start the drill turning slowly. Voila...poor man's machining lathe. 5 minute job.

Mine came out like this, but I appreciate the advice on milling down the crown seat in the case. I will add that for sure. Never thought of it.

I think these cases are usable. We just learn something each day.

Oh...and I also took some off the tube so it is still watertight.

Duck_dial1.jpg

Edited by preacher62

I took the crown from my Josh 5513 and chucked it in a variable speed cordless drill leaving enough space between the crown and the chuck to get a sanding disk in. Then I used a 1" sanding disk, turned over, in a Dreml tool. You set the sanding disk at the angle you want on the base of the crown, then turn the Dreml on slow and start the drill turning slowly. Voila...poor man's machining lathe. 5 minute job.

Mine came out like this, but I appreciate the advice on milling down the crown seat in the case. I will add that for sure. Never thought of it.

I think these cases are usable. We just learn something each day.

Oh...and I also took some off the tube so it is still watertight.

Duck_dial1.jpg

very innovative. i like it :good: im gonna try and make me some 702 crowns right now