When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Did I buy a really good PO fake? Hope it's Gen

HollyW00d

I hope not lol. Bought it through Ebay, everything seemed to check out in the pictures but when I looked at it the AR didn't look as good as my previous 2208.50. The pearl was a little different and then I thought maybe the date wheel wasn't perfectly flush. Am I just being paranoid?

The red dot is there and intact, but I'm worried that could be faked.

A little back story, I bought a real nice Pumpkin 45.5 but the movement was losing 15 seconds a day and the watch guys I sent it to couldn't fix it for some reason so I sent it back. The AR blew me away, it was so clean that it looked like there was no crystal because there was no glare. I didn't exactly get that impression in this model. (If it's real I'm getting the orange bezel)

Also, the serial number on the chronometer certificate is different than the watch. I looked up the serial number on the case and couldn't find any record of it being a known fake one. Please help before I bring it to my Omega dealer. I'd rather not make the long drive if I don't have to. Thanks everyone for your help!

IMG_0314.JPG

IMG_0315.JPG

IMG_0316.JPG

IMG_0317.JPG

IMG_0318.JPG

IMG_0319.JPG

IMG_0320.JPG

IMG_0321.JPG

This looks like a genuine watch to me, He valve position seems ok to me and clasp looks original. I am not an expert though, so I'll leave it to better trained eyes to comment more on it. Wear it proudly my friend, it's def a very nice looking watch.

Thank you for your input, obviously if it's REAL I'll wear it proudly but for the price I paid if it is fake then I'll proudly return it and buy a fake just like it because man this thing looks good if it is fake. I'm just worried about the certificate not matching up. If anyone needs any more pictures please let me know I'll gladly take more to verify.

I appreciate everyone's help

Did you ask the seller about the number mismatch? Perhaps there is an explanation. 12 o'clock marker looks a little crooked but this kind of thing seems typical of Omega from my own experience. Otherwise it looks like the real deal to me.

I don't want to start a dialogue yet until I know one way or another if it's real.

Did you ask the seller about the number mismatch? Perhaps there is an explanation. 12 o'clock marker looks a little crooked but this kind of thing seems typical of Omega from my own experience. Otherwise it looks like the real deal to me.

First, make sure you are not confusing the watch serial number with the movements COSC/Serial number. They are two different animals.

I have had TWO gen chronometers get out of sync in this area as the result of warranty service. If you read the fine print, the COSC cert follows the "original movement", but if you take it back a week later and the "Service Center" decides to swap the moment because they are too lazy to really fix it, you are now SOL when it comes to matching COSC paper work. This varies by manufacturer.

My guess, is the original owner had an issue/problem with the watch. Took it in for repair, and some sort of 'swap' occurred. The owner, now gun-shy about his high end Swiss timepiece, decides to bail out and sell. -or- as mentioned, the jeweler screwed up in haste.

• Like 1

Looks genuine to me. I don't see anything that would make me think it's fake... And the movement swap theory is a good explantation for the serial not matching. I'm sure the movement is genuine too but of course you should take a look inside!

Yeah unfortunately my local Omega dealer says they won't look at it because it would void the warranty they would have to send it out. Which means I'd have to be without the watch for god knows how long. Might have to say screw the warranty and have someone open it up.

The watch is gen, at least the dial, bezel, hands, caseback, bracelet, crystal, DW - it would a very expensive franken and nobody would bother. I would NOT open the watch just to check the movement. It would void whatever warranty you might have and it would also compromise water resistance.

The case number should match the warranty card (mine does). Since the card is not dated you would have 3 years of warranty but I think you will have issues with the service center. I'd contact the seller and work this out.

The watch is gen, at least the dial, bezel, hands, caseback, bracelet, crystal, DW - it would a very expensive franken and nobody would bother. I would NOT open the watch just to check the movement. It would void whatever warranty you might have and it would also compromise water resistance.

The case number should match the warranty card (mine does). Since the card is not dated you would have 3 years of warranty but I think you will have issues with the service center. I'd contact the seller and work this out.

There is no serial number filled out on the card, so I could just fill that in couldn't I. What else is required when sending to omega for a warranty service? I've heard conflicting stories about needing a receipt. DO I need the Chronometer certificate because that's where I would have the issue since they don't match.

Waiting to hear back from the seller now. Thanks for everyone's input.

Also, my local Omega dealer said they won't do a bezel swap because the serial number is in the bezel as well and it would void the warranty. Is this true? I plan on swapping to the Orange bezel and would rather avoid sending it out to do this.

Edited by HollyW00d

There is no serial number filled out on the card, so I could just fill that in couldn't I. What else is required when sending to omega for a warranty service? I've heard conflicting stories about needing a receipt. DO I need the Chronometer certificate because that's where I would have the issue since they don't match.

yes, you could fill out the card with your case number but I'd still verify with the seller why the discrepancy.

I'm not sure if you need to send a copy of the Chronometer Certificate (I always send copy of all 3 cards) but you don't need a receipt. My dealer told me you could claim it was a gift but the service center never asked me for it.

Also, my local Omega dealer said they won't do a bezel swap because the serial number is in the bezel as well and it would void the warranty. Is this true? I plan on swapping to the Orange bezel and would rather avoid sending it out to do this.

The bezel swap would not be made by the service center. This would change the model number (not serial only) and all your cards would be invalid. Many owners do the swap AFTER warranty is over.

Ok Gotcha. The seller bought the watch from a dealer on Ebay in May. He never asked about the discrepancy in the numbers. He is refunding me some money to make up for the fact that he didn't mention this issue. I think I'm going to try and find someone with a co-axial timing machine so I can verify it is an omega movement without having to open it up. My other option is to just have my rolex guy open it up since I plan on swapping the bezel anyway and you say this will void the warranty.

With the money I saved if I ever have to get it serviced it will still be cheaper to pay the $300 than to have to buy this watch new. I'm keeping track of the time deviation to make sure it's not losing much time each day.

That's gen, everything externally is perfect, so unless it is a completely thorough franken including case and caseback (I'll eat my own PO if it is!) then you can assume its gen. You should be able to tell by the winding, the 2500 co-ax (2892 based) winds buttery smooth, much more smoothly and more precise than the 2824 usually used in reps. Also if you look at the sweep, you might not be able to spot it but at 7bps it staggers slightly compared to the smoother sweep on a 2824.

Edited by cougar1

You've got the right people in the thread previously identifying it as gen, so no need to worry there.... but I'd still want to sort out that warranty card issue with the seller.

PS, if you keep it long term - definitely get it serviced at the proper intervals. Don't wait for something to stop working.

Yep worth sorting out the warranty card issue if you can for the sake of completion, wouldn't be the first time an AD/grey dealer would've handed out wrong cards by accident. The card would complete the package.

At the end of the day though, the warranty card is of no real value if the 3 years are up, after that you would be paying for service and warranty cards are of no practical use. Also if the watch is grey, (which it probably is) then the warranty card is of no use either as you would be paying for service within the initial 3 year period also(they don't warranty repair grey market). There used to be the case where Omega themselves would rectify a genuine card mismatch free of charge, but now they charge something like £80 for the service of sorting mismatched cards out ...or so I've heard. In truth the warranty card (outside of the 3 year warranty period) is only really useful for resale purposes.

A lot of AD's talk about Omega not even looking at a watch without a matching card but it is simply not the case, Omega will only need the card for actual warranty repair, aside from that they will look at anything without a card (even grey market) as you would be paying through the nose for the privilege. That's the beauty of their $500ish service fee! :)