When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pressure testing of reps - thinking of buying a machine

what2

I have grown tired of trying to find someone to pressure test reps and have just about convinced myself to buy a pressure tester. The one I am looking at only goes to 100 meters, but that is enough for me to feel comfortable wearing my watches around water. Would there be any interest in pressure testing services at say $10 or so a watch? About the only way I could justify the cost to my wife...

I made a tester out of a clear Nalgene and it works great. I pressurize it to 90psi and wait till air leaks in the case (if any) then submerge the watch and pop open the schrader valve. I get scary bubbles from under the bezel and inside the crown, but no "streams" of bubbles that would indicate a leak.

I built one using a pressure brake bleeder pump(pumps to 50PSI) and a nice 1/2" thick Pasta "jar" I used this calculator thanks to Pompe from the Homageforum. You can always use clear plexi pipe, but it has to be thick enough to hold the pressure with the water. You don't want to test for 300mm, as you will need a LOT of pipe and water this way, but for 50m it's perfect.

if you do your own brakes, you can always use the pump to bleed your system every two years as you should anyways.

E

"bleed your system every two years as you should anyways"

Huh?? You're supposed to bleed your brakes??

I just keep the floorboards open on the driver side of my Land Rover, and do a Flintstone when I need to stop.

Tough on the sneakers though.

wtf-pics-flintstones.jpg

I bought one from offshore about a year ago. it's a great addition to your tool list. The only problem is if you don't have the knowledge and tools to tear watches down, the tester is only that, a tester. I would have much preferrred having a watchmaker nearby who was willing to test and then fix the problem, if there is one. Unfortunately there are none. About 50 percent of my watches passed a 3-5 atm. test. my tester goes up to 6 atm. but the manufacturer advises using the maximum pressure sparingly as it has and affect on the seals. Most of the watches I thought would pass, passed. Even though most of the dive watches passed at least a 3 atm.test, I still am hesitant to take them in the water. I know that a fair number of members take their reps snorkeling or Scuba diving, I don't. I suppose if they passed a 10 atm pressure test, I would be a little more comfortable taking them underwater.

The DIY method is cool if you must.

However, I have never paid more than $5.00 to have a watch tested, and most of the time it is free from a befriended watch shop I frequent.

Tip: Many of the "Fast Fix It" Jewelry and Watch repair shops in shopping mall's will do this $5.00 test if you catch them at the right time. The one near me uses the more modern crystal vibration method (no water involved) and takes less than a minute. Most of the time, it easier for them to test it gratis because it takes longer to deal with the cash register... YMMV. Also, in my experience, they rarely seem to care about REP -vs- GEN.

Tip2: (For Modders / people savvy enough to remove the movement). When "building" something, I will often just test the case all buttoned up, minus the movement, and even Bezel/Insert (Rolex). I will strap the watchhead down on the top rack in my dishwasher. NO HEAT, NON-DRYING, NO SOAP, Quick/Insta Wash cycle. (<:30). In my situation, the watch head gets blasted with 160'F water for a half hour. I then take it, to a room temperature water bath, then add ICE cubes to bring the water temp down into the 40'sF. Let it sit, sometimes overnight as the water temp comes back to ambient. I figure, the pressure, heat, cold, hours submerged-- takes the case and seals through all forms of expansion and contraction. I feel this is an adequate test of weather it will survive the shower or a dip in a swimming pool. "Static Pressure" tests are great for divers.

Nanuq that is awesome!! Is your Rover a diesel? I need to get one of those.

The test should be done if you want a watch you can wear every day, for every day situations without worrying, or "odd" embarrassing moments. If you're just wearing the watch like a woman wears a clutch purse, then no need to test it. Just make sure you don't have to stick your hand in a pool or jacuzzi while wearing the watch. Of course, tossing the watch in a pool and fetching it will prove the best method of "real life test"

E

A canning jar is made to store vacuum, not pressure. And I bet it's only good for an atm before the lid caves in.

From what I've found a Nalgene is easiest to use cause you can drill the lid and get an inner tube's Schraeder valve poked through with some silicon glue to seal it.

Mine will take 95psi before it deforms the lid and begins to leak air.

Bought a used Bergeon and I love it. It's the best investment I made considering I swim daily and often flip. I went to a few local watch smiths and most either overcharged or wouldn't test as they figured it was a rep since I wasn't bringing it to my AD!

I don't know if any of you have one nearby, but here in Columbus there's a place called Dakota Watch and they have a pressure tester that gives you a printout. Anytime I have a modder work on one of my watches I take it by (mall kiosk) and have them test it real quick. And since PBdad is really the only person who touches any of my watches anymore they always pass :1a: