When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintage 1675 dial and hands numskull.....

Justasgood

My watchmaker has a customer who wants to.....gulp..........put a modern dial and hands on this:

I tried to talk him out of it, but he wants a dial and hands that glow.

Some people just shouldn't have nice watches.

Anybody have a modern dial? B)

He'll be better off buying a modern GMT and selling this one

I'd be very interested in the hands.

Has your watchmaker told the owner that putting a modern dial - and I'm assuming by modern he means glossy dial with Luminova and metal surrounds and not a tritium dial- that a.) the dial feet will need to be removed and the dial mounted in a mikey mouse way because of the different calibers b.) it will now say "date" at the end of O..P.. c.) will destroy the value to anyone whom he intends to sell it to in the future.

A 1998 or later dial on a 1970 watch. . .As you said. Some people shouldn't have nice watches.

Sacrilage to some, I know, but personally, I view this like the cars on Overhaulin, which get modernized rather than 'simply restored' (not that there's anything simple about true restoration, of course) and put it under the 'different strokes for different folks' folder... It'll be interesting to see how it looks once the work is finished :)

He could send it to the RSC and Rolex would do it- new dial and hands with (super) luminova. And the parts are 100% genuine Rolex. Of course, the RSC would keep the old parts!

I've seen these watches showing up from time to time on the sales forums- 1675s and 1680s. Jacek and Jared come across them regularly.