When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What are the best out-of-box reps for you?

daytona01

I know many of you guys love modding and franken watches, but there are many those who only enjoy out-of-box watches.

I own rolex explorer 114270 with swiss 2836 (about $250?) and black Sub-c with 21J movement (about $100??)

I think these two are great watches considering both detail and price

post-38066-0-56197600-1320980142.jpg

post-38066-0-88408900-1320980156.jpg

What are the best out-of-box reps for you? and price?

Edited by daytona01

My expectations/standards have always been pretty low, so if it doesn't flood, tells the time accurately, and has everything on the dial printed clearly and spelled correctly, chances are I'll like it :) It really depends on what someone wants OOTB: Do they just want a watch that 'looks okay', or are they expecting something to look 1:1 like the original and then be disappointed when the shape of the S is wrong or the crossbar of the A isn't high enough...

I think the simpler a watch is, the easier it is for it to be replicated properly :)

These're my two favorite OOTB watches.

DSCN4441.jpg

I'm hesitant to class the DJ as OOTB, as it has been subjected to a little buffing to 'take the edge off' the blingtastic quality it had OOTB. Other than that, it is untouched, and to be fair, I did not do anything to it which 25 years of straight wear would not eventually achieve. The Heritage is untouched, and also 'untouchable'. There aren't any mods I can think of performing which would actually be of benefit :pardon: A bracelet/clasp replacement would bring the watch closer to gen, but the dial and movement will always be a give away which would negate the points gained by a gen bracelet/clasp :bangin: I figure that it's good enough as it is, so I just enjoy it :) Might treat it to a more accurate NATO strap for next summer, but other than that, it really has become my True Beater, likely in no small part that before finding its way to my door, it passed through the hands of two fine gents, and the watch traded for it was a generous gift from another friend, so it has a lot of history (for me) already :)

With regards price, when it comes to an OOTB which has no plans for modification, it doesn't hurt to spend a little extra on it, simply because there aren't going to be additional costs spend on mods. Equally though, I'm a fan of cheap stuff, so if something cheap looks good enough (as with the above DJ) chances are it'll be fine :good:

Raymond Weil Nabucco, thing is a beast and stunningly well made!!

Thankfully TeeJays standards in ladies is far higher given his gorgeous bride a couple of years ago!! (you owe me for getting you outta that one T!!lol)

PAM reps are incredibly good OOTB, the latest ones that is.

Some Breits and Tags are staggeringly good OOTB these days too!

Sixx :bones:

Raymond Weil Nabucco, thing is a beast and stunningly well made!!

Thankfully TeeJays standards in ladies is far higher given his gorgeous bride a couple of years ago!! (you owe me for getting you outta that one T!!lol)

PAM reps are incredibly good OOTB, the latest ones that is.

Some Breits and Tags are staggeringly good OOTB these days too!

Sixx :bones:

You're right about that one, bro, still trying to think of a way of doing it :D

despite all the recent nice OTB PAMs... there are 2 that really stand out to me as great OTB reps

The Radiomir 288 and the Tag Link MOP ladies with CZ bezel....

I really struggled to differantiate these from the gen without having them SbS...

Don't know why my photos don't work, but for me the best reps have been the MBW Nautilus, and the new Noob AP Diver.

The new AP Diver is as good a rep as I have ever owned. My watchsmith believes it is gen quality. The real deal is 15,000 to 17,500.

The rep is a bit less than that. The current 5711 Nautilus is 20,000.00 plus. The rep is a a bit less.

Classic timepieces. We are very lucky to be affialiated with such credible dealers, selling such fine reps.

Thanks to guys like Thomas.

• 3 months later...

Don't know why my photos don't work, but for me the best reps have been the MBW Nautilus, and the new Noob AP Diver.

The new AP Diver is as good a rep as I have ever owned. My watchsmith believes it is gen quality. The real deal is 15,000 to 17,500.

The rep is a bit less than that. The current 5711 Nautilus is 20,000.00 plus. The rep is a a bit less.

Classic timepieces. We are very lucky to be affialiated with such credible dealers, selling such fine reps.

Thanks to guys like Thomas.

Jeff - are these the ones you are referring to?

5711 Nautilus - http://puretimewatch.com/product/nautilus-5711-ss-black-dial-11-best-edition-sw200/

AP Diver - http://www.yourtrustytime.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=241_288&products_id=7755

arrggh, why did I come on this thread.....

Updated and added to the 'To buy list':

Ebel 1191 Discovery panda ...and black aswell...black looks amazing!

That Tudor Heritage quartz

Breitling Superocean Abyss

Seriously though they've all been on the list for a while, just gonna have to part with funds sooner now! Sigh!

This was pretty good out of the box in it's day:

DSCF1757.jpg

And these lately:

34yocad.jpg