When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Seller warning not to post QC pics on forum, is this normal?

picoweb

Hi ,

I have bought a couple of low end reps in the past and decided to splash out and buy a higher end PO from a a dealer that is mentioned a few times on here and has a fairly good reputation.

I received the email with the QC pics on but he email started with the paragraph below in bold rep... Should I be concerned? Should I post the QC pics?

Please do not post these pics at the forums. You are bound to get irrelevant and fabricated comments which will hinder this transaction between us thereby causing delay in the despatched of the package.. It also affects our relationship. 

Advice greatly appreciated.

Regards

Wrong.

There are more than one dealer that say the same thing.

Can't blame them. Enough idiots on this and all other watch forums who will bad mouth any and all information and photos of what they sell.

IMO you are lucky to deal with someone who will show you what to expect. Respect their wishes. Be happy that you have a choice in respected dealers here at RWG.

If you wish to respect their wishes, you could always ask our "experts" what to look for specifically in regards to the model you want.

I understand that the "nit-pickers" are sometimes harsh in their judgements on a small detail of an otherwise great watch, but having said that, I've learned so much in the last year from the comments of our knowledgeable members.

If you learn what to look for and you're patient, you'll be able to find the watch of your dreams... I know I did.

Sometimes macro pics are scary, if QC pics are posted on board, and viewed by 600 people, there is a high chance to find some flaws which probably doesn´t even exists. ¨AR looks scratched, lume dot not centered enough, crown guard floppy etc etc¨

I think mainly the QC picture is to confirm the model you receive is exactly what you ordered, and not to find flaws. That´s why I do the quality check myself and not by some ¨qualified staff¨, and already most of my buyers understand and trust me enough in most of my orders receive the watch without QC pics, Why? Because I can ship same day and with pics confirmations and emails it can be several days delayed the order. I think it´s a question of trust also.

come on, really? How do they think they are? I mean if i spend 300$ on something, i do whatever i want.......and "if this affects our relationship".....well then, i don't give a damn.

sure you learn with the time, but come on, where is the harm to ask for some advice if you are not an expert.....there are as many dealers who don't care......

just my 2 cents

Again I think I know who this is, but will respect privacy. I have chosen not to publish QC pics for my watches, but I do post images and initial impressions once they arrive.

You should take QC pics at face value. They allow you to see that you are being sent the right watch & strap combo, and demonstrate that there are no gross visible defects in the item. If you see an order number on the watch that matches yours, and an EMS bill with your posting details, then all is good. When I ordered my LV somehow the address got mixed up with another order, and the QC pics let me put that straight.

The forum gives you a lot of information on what to look out for on each watch. For example pearl placement on a PO can be a little off. Some of these thiings you can spot on your QC pics.

Ultimately you won't know about fit, finish, and function until the watch arrives.

For me the whole experience - the waiting and anticipation is part of the fun

Maybe I just new to all this, but I'd find this kind of statement suspicious, to say the least. I really don't understand what kind of "relationship" one has with a dealer besides buying a watch and hopefully in the future buying another one, because you trust him, have good communication and receive what you paid for. I personally can't see harm in seeking advise from other people, being it on a forum or otherwise. Sure, one needs to understand that he's buying a rep and there are always imperfections and deviations from the original design, sure one needs to filter comments and understand what's relevant and what's irrelevant, but telling you not to seek advise? That would definitely end our so-called "relationship".

I think this blows both ways,

I most certainly do not like the wording from the emails, it seems constraining and has an almost threatening tone.

How will it harm the relationship? will the vendor screw up your order, or send it elsewhere? Ridiculous!

However we have to remember we most likely also have a language/translation factor involved too, and the choice

of words may not be the best.

I don't agree that QC pics should not be examined beyond correct product identification. What a waste of information that would be.

I want to scrutinize them to be sure I am buying wisely and well. If they are solely for product id, then call them product id/confirmation photos, not QC.

All this said, the many ignorant or inaccurrate comments among the knowledgeable ones that follow such posts can help noone, and only 'good' info helps you.

Pics of gens are abundant, I always think, take your time, find some good shots, compare to the QC pics for yourself, and be confident with your findings.

Cheers, Dale

Virtually all dealers who offer QC pics ask you not to post them elsewhere. Just use common sense. If you have concerns about your particular watch (not the model you picked) try and reach out to someone who is knowledgeable on the brand on the forum. Most are happy to help out as it only takes 30 seconds to inspect if you know what you are looking at. If you are not comfortable reaching out to someone individually and feel you have legitimate concerns about the particular watch shown then post them up. As long as you are intelligent enough to ignore any silly comments it will all be fine. In a world where some dealers are still small enough to inspect watches individually and others ship hundreds or thousands of watches a month from different locations the QC pics do play a critical role. Just use common sense.

• Like 1

Virtually all dealers who offer QC pics ask you not to post them elsewhere. Just use common sense. If you have concerns about your particular watch (not the model you picked) try and reach out to someone who is knowledgeable on the brand on the forum. Most are happy to help out as it only takes 30 seconds to inspect if you know what you are looking at. If you are not comfortable reaching out to someone individually and feel you have legitimate concerns about the particular watch shown then post them up. As long as you are intelligent enough to ignore any silly comments it will all be fine. In a world where some dealers are still small enough to inspect watches individually and others ship hundreds or thousands of watches a month from different locations the QC pics do play a critical role. Just use common sense.

+1

Very well said!

I also just placed an order from this same vendor (I assume) and was puzzled by the language asking me not to post the pics. I imagine, though, it could lead to a lot of headaches for the dealer, so it's probably just not worded in the best manner possible. I got the notice in the mail yesterday, so today I get to head to the post office to pick it up. Cannot wait, as this is my first rep.