When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The golden rule --> my gilt dial 5513; fresh off the bench...

hackR

I just completed this quick build last night and love it...it's not uber-accurate, but i think it came out nicely...

5513gilt3m.jpg

5513gilt2m.jpg

5513gilt1m.jpg

Ingredients:

1) MBW dial from Bill...

2) gen eta movement from a beater 1680 red Sub...

3) gold hands from Clark; sanded to a matte finish...hands came with white lume...i used iodine (which made them yellow'y), then wiped them down with water to soften the yellow to creme color - to match the dial's creme colored lume...amazingly the lume is faint on the hands and dial and actually matches in glow and duration...

4) case set and bracelet from Ephry73

thanks, guys!...i just need to upgrade the insert/pearl...in time...

@Ronin...i took some rodico and flattened it on a smooth surface...making it thin and even...i then put the flattened rodico onto a small rectangular piece of wood (1/2"x1/2"x2") so that it overlaps the bottom - this allows you to hold the rodico on the edge...i also used a slightly rough piece of wood so the rodico would hold better...i then pressed a hand on the rodico and pressed it in evenly...i then slowly - and i mean slowly so that they rodico doesn't peel off -- brushed the wood/rodico/hand in a single direction toward me, on a piece of 1500 grit sandpaper...worked nicely...

5513am.jpg

5513bm.jpg

thanks, guys...once i got the dial from Bill, it was just a matter of finding the other components...the brushed gold hands really make it...

one more thing i learned here (from Ronin!) and forgot to mention: the hands came with white (very white) lume...the dial has creme lume...so i used iodine on the hands...after the first application of iodine, i let it sit for 15 minutes...i used small touch up brushes to apply it from a hobby store...i then brushed the iodine with water...that wiped off some of the yellowy look from the iodine and cleaned up the iodine that was on the metal...the result was creme colored hands...they match pretty well...

R

Nice quickie! Gotta jump on Bill's stuff when it comes up. He's definitely thinning his collection, but not so much so that it's affecting the exclusivity value factor of all the original MBW parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i think aging the insert a bit and putting in a yuki or ofrei pearl would certainly add a lot to the watch, but maybe i'm just crazy & obsessed

deltatahoe

ps, beautiful build :wub:

I agree with DT- a better pearl and trim the inside of those CG's- then you'll have a pristine gilt 5513. Nice job so far

Great piece. MBWs rock, here is mine from BKK via Cubeistan:

Still have to do the crownguards

sweet...looks great...is the entire piece an MBW?...or did you add/mod the insert/pearl?..that's the kind of insert/pearl i think would make a difference on mine...thanks for sharing...

these gilt pieces are sharp as the dial is class - but less bold with gilt writing vs white writing..

sweet...looks great...is the entire piece an MBW?...or did you add/mod the insert/pearl?..that's the kind of insert/pearl i think would make a difference on mine...thanks for sharing...

these gilt pieces are sharp as the dial is class - but less bold with gilt writing vs white writing..

Cubeistan picked me up a complete watch. This is what it looked like when I got it:

MBW5513-Unmodded.jpg

I softened the case, aged the dial and hands which were silver. Then I faded the insert and installed a gen pearl I had bought on ebay. Has a Swiss 2836.

For inspiration: the ultimate goal

5513gilt.jpg

I have contacted Ingod and he said he was going to make a dial for it which should get us closer to the gen :)

Edited by Donerix 2.0