When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I think I got taken on buying this rep...

FloridaSam

I swear to FSM that this is 100% true, its literally a dream come true... I have dreamt of a scenario like this and still can't believe it actually happened. I guess this is an unintended consequence of our hobby and one I gladly accept.

We've all heard the stories of people buying what they thought was a genuine Rolex only to find out it was indeed a fake. Some fakes are excellent and hard to tell, some are franken watches. Regardless, the extent our hobby has come has made some people so gun shy of certain watches they don't know what they have.

There's a pawn shop I frequent in south Florida, mostly for guitar and Hi-Fi related items. The owner plays in a band and is always moving gear in and out of his collection so there is usually something nice and unique, not the usual made in China garbage guitars or beat to crap usual pawn shop fare.

As I walked in yesterday I started up a conversation with the owner, we talked guitars and I mentioned that I noticed he no longer had any watches in the jewlery case. He told me he is no longer taking watches in pawn. He said he was burned twice in the last few months on Breiltlings and would never look at one again. He told me he had one last Rolex that was being put on the shelf today but again he said he was burned on this one and it was a good fake/ franken. I asked to see it. He brought out a 1999 A series 14060 No-Date Sub. I did not want to tip my hand, and oddly enough I had just been reading up a lot on this model so I asked what made him think it was fake....could I open it. He said, "Don't bother, we measured this with a caliper and the dimensions are all wrong for a Submariner, this is the only way we use to determine fakes as the movements can be real.......blah blah blah" after that I turned off my ears. I knew what was going on.......... He was comparing the dimensions for a Date Sub to a Non-Date Sub. Well, that won't work! Different cases, different diameter dials, different bezel diameters...the only things that swap on those two models are the crown, hands and bracelet.

I asked the price, he said to the best of his knowledge the bracelet was real, and since it was a "really good replica" he wanted $1699.99. A LOT FOR A REPLICA!!!! I asked if he could do better since it was a fake and he said he knew what good frankens went for and as the bracelet was real,and since it hadn't been on display yet he was firm.

I checked this over with a loupe for a while, analyzing every last detail, then I said I wanted to think about it as I drove like a bat out of hell home to grab some cash, praying it would still be there when I returned 20 min later. I didn't want to put a deposit or give any indication I was as excited as I was.

I got back there, asked to see the watch again,piut it on my wrist, plunked down $1802.99 the price plus tax, said thanks and drove straight to Tourneau. Checked out 100%. Went to Hamiltons, checked out 100%, Went to my local Rolex authorized repairman I use, checked out 100%. I am amazed.

The fact that our reps have gotten as good as they are has resulted in me getting a watch I could NEVER afford ($3,500-$5,000 on used market) for a lot, lot, lot less.

I have spent all day staring at this watch, waiting to wake up from this dream. I frequent the PMWF.com also and my entire collection is from pawn shops and flea markets in south florida. Its a unique area of tourists, older people and rich people living beyond their means. This makes for some unique and wonderful finds. It takes a lot of work and I devote many hours each week hunting for these kinds of deals. This one made the hundreds of fruitless journeys worth every last second.

11rr95f.jpg5bbcd4.jpg

• Like 1

Here's some more pics, first one just to prove this isn't a fish tale ;) a copy of the receipt from 2/24. The next are just some glamour shots. We haven't seen the sun in a few days down here so getting good shots is hard, especially on a flat crystal like this. you can see that it has a bit of wabi, nothing a good service won't make look like new. I will certainly need a new clasp as the crown is nearly worn away. This is a tool watch and looks like it was used as such. I wasn't sure how I would like the no date, no-COSC on the dial....I've decided I wouldn't have it any other way.

i4n5kx.jpg

3133eyq.jpg

AND the icing on the already awesome cake.... the crown lines up PERFECTLY! My OCD tendencies luv it!

fub0p1.jpg