When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

where to buy a die cast aftermarket gold case?

horologist

I have a 1556 genuine day date movement that comes from a cross threaded/stripped threads original gold case ( which I might use to get melted to have a couple of pendents made) so I am seeking a good quality aftermarket die cast gold case. I have seen a lot of great aftermarket stainless steel cases made, but unfortunately all the gold ones I have seen to date seem to have rough threads and look very rough and unappealing as they are probably cast. Does anyone know where I could search to find a quality die cast gold case so that I can bring this great 1556 movement back to life? Any feedback would be most appreciated with lots of thanks in advance

High quality gold cases are almost always die struck, not die cast.

I have seen quite a few fake omega constellation, seamaster, and rolex cases that were cast with porous threads and voids in the main case where the gold did not flow properly although they looked fine on the outside where they had been polished. Many of the bezels and casebacks on quickie gold knock offs are made in rubber molds and do not have sharp detail.

Matter of fact, I traded into a fake solid cast gold 18k omega 'Geneve' automatic in June 2003. I put it away without looking inside it until 4-1-2006 (April Fool's Day by chance). It had a 100% fake cast case with a genuine cal 1480 movement in it. The case did not have a separate bezel and the plastic armored crystal pressed down into a machined groove in the case. The screw down caseback looked fine on the outside but was rough on the inside with rough threads on the caseback and case. The guy I got it from gave me a 6694 for it back and he had no idea the case was fake either. No telling how many owners had it without knowing.

I used to see simple snap back gold manual wind fake omegas for sale at watch shows along with gold filled cases stamped 14k or 18k but this was the first screw back fake gold omega case I actually owned. I had seen solid cast gold fake constellation cases with fake dials and genuine movements at watch shows but not this type of geneve model.

I have seen a lot of die struck solid gold rolex replacement cases and they were all top quality and all originally came unsigned (to be lettered later by a crook of some sort). I paid $900 for an 18k unsigned gold DJ case for a 3035 complete with back and bezel in February 2001 and now the same case is $4215 at StarTime. Back then an 18k submariner case with back and bezel was $1200 and now StarTime has them for $5455!!! I have seen them for less on eBay.

There used to be a web site called 'Apples of Gold' that sold Italian made die struck rolex look-alike cased watches under the Geneve brand back before gold prices went crazy. I got one of their submariner style watches in to work on a few years ago and it was made just like the rolex replacement cases except it was made for an eta movement.

I have one new die struck prez style non oem spec case left from back then and it weighs 29.1 grams with back and bezel but I do not remember how much a genuine case weighs. This one has the dial opening a little bit bigger than genuine and came with a black diamond dial and eta 2836-2...it accepts genuine case tubes, crystals, and bezels. They were $1200 new in 2001 on a strap...with a prez style bracelet they were $2400...with bracelet and diamond dial/bezel, $3000. I remember the prices because a gold/diamond/watch trader friend had a lot of them back then.

Tutone eta DJ with 14k bezel and center links were $750....with 18k bez/links, $900.

If there are many threads left on your case, you might run a steel caseback into the case and run the gold caseback down in a steel case and straighten the threads enough to work...providing the threads are all the same. I've done this a time or two.

If you can weigh your case...see how much it weighs and post the result.

Last year at the Shenzhen show, I saw a company from HK, who are doing a "solid" case, which has in fact a s/s core, but is to all intents solid gold.

This is not a "wrapped" thing, I saw one cut in 1/2, and there is some serious depth of gold...not a coating. The process is "secret"!

But they were quite reasonable...from memory around U$1500 then, although gold has leaped since then.

I will dig out the old brochures tomorrow if there is interest and let you have a contact..they are still operating as I saw an advert recently in a trade mag.

They do a wide range of different cases.

Offshore

Last year at the Shenzhen show, I saw a company from HK, who are doing a "solid" case, which has in fact a s/s core, but is to all intents solid gold.

This is not a "wrapped" thing, I saw one cut in 1/2, and there is some serious depth of gold...not a coating. The process is "secret"!

But they were quite reasonable...from memory around U$1500 then, although gold has leaped since then.

I will dig out the old brochures tomorrow if there is interest and let you have a contact..they are still operating as I saw an advert recently in a trade mag.

They do a wide range of different cases.

Offshore

I'd be interested to hear more about this company!

Here's the gold case from HK

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330368626199?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

It's running $3K these days.

Back in the old days some of the dealers like Paul could get the reps in SG cases, ran about $2K including a bracelet. Of course, like automatico says, now days that would be $3-4K!

High quality gold cases are almost always die struck, not die cast.

Yes, I meant die struck and not die cast. I was in a rush to post and was ahead of myself when tying

I have seen a lot of die struck solid gold rolex replacement cases and they were all top quality and all originally came unsigned (to be lettered later by a crook of some sort). I paid $900 for an 18k unsigned gold DJ case for a 3035 complete with back and bezel in February 2001 and now the same case is $4215 at StarTime

Are they die struck?

There used to be a web site called 'Apples of Gold' that sold Italian made die struck rolex look-alike

I don't think they exist anymore as I did do a web search on them with no luck

I have one new die struck prez style non oem spec case left from back then and it weighs 29.1 grams with back and bezel but I do not remember how much a genuine case weighs. This one has the dial opening a little bit bigger than genuine

would this take a 1556 or a 3055 mvt?

you might run a steel caseback into the case and run the gold caseback down in a steel case and straighten the threads enough to work...providing the threads are all the same. I've done this a time or two.

What a genius idea. I got all excited and tried it and this time the case back was screwing on much better than what it was doing but my buzz died when at the last tightening it started to go in circles. Too BAD!!!

If you can weigh your case...see how much it weighs and post the result.

Yes, I weighed it without the acrylic cystal and it was approximately 31.02 + 0.01g

And MANY THANKS!!!! to an eloquent and educational reply for me to have absorbed so much information. I find that people here are absolutely spectacular

Here's the gold case from HK

http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1423.l2649

It's running $3K these days.

Back in the old days some of the dealers like Paul could get the reps in SG cases, ran about $2K including a bracelet. Of course, like automatico says, now days that would be $3-4K!

Thanks!! I wonder if they are die struck and if everything from a genuine will fit in exactly without any further modifications?

This is not a "wrapped" thing, I saw one cut in 1/2, and there is some serious depth of gold...not a coating. Offshore

Do you have an image of the one cut in 1/2? How thick was the S/S core?

Do you have an image of the one cut in 1/2? How thick was the S/S core?

No they were't allowing photos.

By eye, it was equal, so 1/3 gold, 1/3 s/s, 1/3 gold. Maybe a touch more s/s but that would be pretty close.

It was a serious amount of gold, def not plated or wrapped.

O/S

I didn't specifically see a Rx case, but they had many brands and I assumed Rx would be top of the pile...maybe not.

I would go the other way and restore the gen case.

It might not be cheap, but as long as you conserve most of the gen engravings it's worth it!

There are goor casemakers around which can restore cold cases - i'll have a gen golden Rolex pocket watch fixed there for an exhibition.

Dee

I would go the other way and restore the gen case.

It might not be cheap, but as long as you conserve most of the gen engravings it's worth it!

There are goor casemakers around which can restore cold cases - i'll have a gen golden Rolex pocket watch fixed there for an exhibition.

Dee

I know that there are a lot of highly skilled watchmakers but have never ever come across a quality case maker. If you know let us know or if it is against the foruum rules to post them here, you can PM me as I would be highly interested as I am not sure which direction to go. Assuming that this 1803 case that I have is genuine as one never knows with vintage watches especially with what I have learnt on this thread

• 4 months later...