When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My Name is Superlative, And I'm An Original Rolex Modder

superlative

Long before most of you were born, the Rolex replicas that were available in the late 1980's were quartz-based watches and thus didn't exhibit the characteristic "sweep" that was associated with Rolex. Obsessed with the vintage Rolexes that we saw in an issue of GQ magazine, my friend and I sacrificed our Rolex quartz replicas to build Rolex watches with sweeping seconds hands. This is the result of our labour:

rollie.jpg

It is a Timex that was transformed to a Rolex using the coronet from a replica dial and Letraset letters for the Rolex text on the dial. The watch is more than 20 years old. The watch was also "vintagized" so that it would resemble those beloved Rolex watches we saw in GQ magazine.

My name is Superlative, and I'm an original Rolex modder.

Edited by superlative

I got my first rep in 1982, a Rolex SS Day-Date with pearl white dial and diamond markers. The quartz movement gained 2 seconds every 6 months. I loved it, and still have it. But I was already old in the early `80s. Got old in `70 & `71, been old since. old-man-mooning.gif

Hmmm, 1980 you say?

I was already a professional DJ for 2 years and started the pirate radio era in my country and break the monopoly of the state radio.

I am still a legend 32 years later for that and the state radio has much less lsiteners than we, the private radios.

Now that is arrogant right :partytime:

Lol saw an advert the other day for retirement villages in my area ' the peaceful life for the over 45's' :fool: better get me zimmer frame out soon eh :inverted:

Seriously though I'm sure Super meant no harm!

I was a young pup in the 80's....and loved it ;) no Rolex modding for me at the time though!

Long before most of you were born, the Rolex replicas that were available in the late 1980's were quartz-based watches and thus didn't exhibit the characteristic "sweep" that was associated with Rolex. Obsessed with the vintage Rolexes that we saw in an issue of GQ magazine, my friend and I sacrificed our Rolex quartz replicas to build Rolex watches with sweeping seconds hands. This is the result of our labour:

rollie.jpg

It is a Timex that was transformed to a Rolex using the coronet from a replica dial and Letraset letters for the Rolex text on the dial. The watch is more than 20 years old. The watch was also "vintagized" so that it would resemble those beloved Rolex watches we saw in GQ magazine.

My name is Superlative, and I'm an original Rolex modder.

Now that, is the kind of project I like :good: Absolutely beautiful watch, if I ever find suitable parts, I will follow your example to achieve such a watch for myself :good::drinks:

And in the spirit of other's comments: In 1980, I had just divorced my wife and left San Fransisco to live in Marseilles, working as an industrial diver for Comex. Oh wait, that was my past-life, I get the two confused sometimes :p

ok...In 1980 my wife divorced me and I had just been kicked off the last leg of a tour with !?:;**+##?! :)

I went back home tail tucked....had to borrow money to find a place to live while searching for another act. Good times! :)