When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Real Omega Seamaster Automatic 2531.80 Needs a service and cleaning

clinterik

Hello everyone!

I have acquired a real Omega Seamaster Automatic 2531.80. This watch has been heavily enjoyed by its previous owner and is in need of some TLC. I would say its manufacturer date was back in 1998 and has never been serviced. The movement its self is visually in very nice condition but the case and bracelet could use a really good polishing up.

If anyone is interested or knows some that is interested in doing a service and cleaning please let me know.

All the best and Cheers to the weekend!

Clinton T.

:drinks:

From what I understand Omega's service may leave something to be desired in speed, quality, and pricing. Take this with a grain of salt as I have no personal experience with their service directly, but when I get my Bond serviced soon it'll be going to a local watchmaker. Search locally for someone you can visit in person. Support your local watchmaker!

• Like 1

That is also what I have herd about Omega's servicing. They only advantage I could think of is if they are willing to replace the bezel insert and the second hand for their servicing fee.

Omega will charge $485 for a movement service and to refinish the case and bracelet. Check out the Omega website for specifics on what will be done. I think the only parts included for the price are new hands. I think it takes them forever, but from what I've seen on WUS they usually come back looking great.

A local watchmaker should be able to service the movement without any problems. Be careful when asking about the refinishing part, as my local guy would just polish the crap out of it with a Cape Cod cloth and call it good!

EDIT: Daltore beat me to it. :)

Edited by Five of Clubs

I intend to take mine to my local watch shop soon (probably after I finish my PO build or my Tudor sub build). I'm taking in a replacement seconds hands (the red tip is now faded orange) and expect to pay less than $150 for a full service and seconds hand replacement. Bracelet polish - I'll have to ask about.

Swisstimeservices are very good, how bad is the watch overall? Has it many dinks or is it just scratches? The bracelet is very easy to refinish, you could do it yourself, the watchhead is also doable yourself with the right brushing pads, polishing tools etc. It's not that hairy, alot of it is a case of go slow, be patient, take breaks and try not to brush/polish too deep into the original cut lines of the case. Then have the movement serviced or waterproofing done locally. It is nice to send it away to be done but it is certainly costly.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure on movement service cost but I had an SMP head and bracelet refinished here this year for $90 it came back looking as good as new ;) sold it soon after though!

My current SMP I refinish myself when it needs it (mainly the clasp) after reading the posts on how to do it here, works a treat :inverted:

@ sneed12 - now that sounds like a plan!

Honestly, if it was me--I'd replace the movement with a brand new Asian clone 2892 ($100), order new hands (less than $100), refinish the bracelet/case myself, sell the Omega movement and probably come out ahead

I assume you mean the Seagull ST18. Where can you find one for $100? Does it accept Gen ETA hands? Any potential cannon pinion height issues? I would be interested in using an st18 in a Planet ocean project if there are no hand or cannon pinion issues.