When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Franken Ladies Datejust

jmb

I had built the wife a very basic all-rep Ladies DJ with a black stick dial a couple years ago and she has loved it so much I thought I'd give it a bit of an upgrade for Mother's Day. I replaced the dial with what looks like a black "sunburst" dial, a gen bezel, gen case, and Clark crystal. I guess the only things left from the original watch are the bracelet and the movement. I don't really see much about the Ladies models on any of the forums so I figured I'd post a few pics.

Build Sheet:

Case -Gen

Crystal - Clark 25-101

Hands - Rep

Dial - Rep

Bezel - Gen

Bracelet - Rep

Movement - ETA 2671

post-24124-0-69574600-1336957440.jpg

post-24124-0-71319200-1336957451.jpg

post-24124-0-97289600-1336957462.jpg

post-24124-0-51680500-1336957479.jpg

post-24124-0-86301800-1336957488.jpg

Terrific, J! Someone was asking about a Ladies franken DJ not so long ago, so it's good to see it can be done and done well.

Rymeister: If I were you, I would make sure to spend extra for a genuine dial, at the very least. There are good ones out there for less than $100, and ought to help your gf withstand even the most withering scrutiny.

Case and bezel are fleabay catches. This dial is rep but it seems fairly accurate and well made. I have all gen bits (14k fluted bezel, champagne dial, case, ) to build this year's Christmas present, ;) It seems that the gold/champagne dials are fairly cheap but the others seem very pricey.

The next build will have gen dial but as far as movement is concerned I really don't see the gen being that much better than an ETA... Of course, if I could fall into one really cheap I might be tempted...

Considering who it is for & where the watch is now (ie, how much you have already spent on a franken), why not go all the way & complete it with a gen dial & movement?

Given the bad reputation the ladies Rolex movement has and my wife's bad experience with one, I'd stick to the eta 2671 and go with a gen dial.

The next build will have gen dial but as far as movement is concerned I really don't see the gen being that much better than an ETA...

Given the bad reputation the ladies Rolex movement has and my wife's bad experience with one, I'd stick to the eta 2671 and go with a gen dial.

Properly serviced, neither movement is better than the other. But a gen movement will do 2 things an ETA cannot do - 1. It will increase the watch's resale value & 2. It will give the wearer (your wife) the confidence to walk into any AD with impunity, which, to most women, would be worth the additional price alone. Also, at some point, like most of us, you will regret damaging a gen dial (to fit the ETA) instead of going all-gen, which will ultimately cost you more when you end up buying the wife a gen. ;)

"It all started in the 1980's when she bought herself a brand new rolex lady date at Bromberg's in Birmingham AL. It went through 3 'overhauls' including two bracelets, two bezels' 2 dials, 2 mainsprings, etc etc before we sold it 10 or 12 years later. It was a piece of damn junk from day one.

Next, I bought her a brand new TT sapphire crystal lady oyster (no date to F with). It was not much better and she wore it a few weeks and has been in a bank box ever since.

Imho genuine rolex watches are over rated like down home cookin', Christmas with relatives, and Cadillac cars."

This was automatico's rant to me a few weeks ago! Neither one of us give the ladiies Rolex movements a high rating. My wife was never happy with her TT DJ and finally quit wearing it. Couldn't keep it wound.

I'll stick with ETA, at least I can get parts for 'em and fix 'em! I gather parts for projects over long periods of time and patience usually results in decent prices so I don't tie up a ton of money in frankens. I probably have around $250 in this one...

Freddy, I certainly agree with your points about a Rolex holding its value and being able to walk into an AD w/o a worry. But I also enjoy the frankens when you have a solid eta in there at 1/10th the cost- maybe 1/5th nowdays... Besides, who can tell what beats inside- unless they listen to the rotor spinning- then they'll know its not a Rolex!

She has a gen Tudor Princess Oysterdate if she needs to be "correct" but the only time she wears it is when the other is not working! She would probably never be caught dead inside an AD and she thinks the Franken is super neat because I made it especially for her. Plus, she's almost as big a tight-wad as I am and would blow a gasket if I spent $2500 on a watch for her! ;)

There is a place in Dallas that sells really nice aftermarket cases. Completly waterproof, and very very hard to pick. They are made for the 2671 movement, and the mounting ring can carry a gen dial with no mods. The assembly will mount into a gen of aftermarket case exactly like the gen. No tabs, just 2 screws that you back out to tighten the movement into the case. Gen or good aftermarket bracelets fit perfect. Very slick setup

There is a place in Dallas that sells really nice aftermarket cases. Completly waterproof, and very very hard to pick. They are made for the 2671 movement, and the mounting ring can carry a gen dial with no mods. The assembly will mount into a gen of aftermarket case exactly like the gen. No tabs, just 2 screws that you back out to tighten the movement into the case. Gen or good aftermarket bracelets fit perfect. Very slick setup

Where is this place?

@J

This is a very nice watch and gift, that dial rocks !

I loaned the small linen dialed Tudor you made me last year to one of my girlfriends. She has not taken it off!

She says she gets compliments on it everywhere she goes, even gettin her nails done :)