When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Spotted in the wild - and totally made someones day - a 1680 story

cjjoyce1

So today I was at Home Depot. I am replacing a window sill and I had to get some wood cut to size. The gentleman that came over to help me was, shall we say, somewhat "seasoned" in his years, very helpful and very pleasant. He remarked on how he thought it was great a "young guy" like me (I'm 46) would tackle a job like replacing a window sill "everyone these days just wants to replace everything. . .nobody fixes things anymore". As he set up for the cut with the table saw, I noticed something very familiar on his wrist. "That's quite a prize you've got there" I said pointing at his arm. He looked at the bruise mid forearm and said "yeah. I got that restocking. . .you bruise easily when you get old like me". . I said "no-no, your 1680" "my what?" "your WATCH".

He glanced at his wrist and smiled a wry smile "yeah, nobody around here can believe I wear a Rolex to work around here" And he looked at my wrist, which was sporting my franken 5512 on Nato. "Neither can I", I said, "you really shouldn't be wearing that around here". He then tell me that he bought it off a friend "years ago". He was always asking his friend "hey Bill, when are you gonna sell me your Rolex?" Then he says one day Bill came to him and asked if he would still buy the watch "you see, Bill had taken his girlfriend on a little vacation and didn't want his wife to find out, so he needed $400 bucks quick to put back in the bank".

"You paid $400 for that?"

"Yeah, but then I didn't wear it for a long time. I stuck it in my drawer. A while ago, my other watch finally kicked. I was going to buy another watch but then remembered this (looking at his wrist) and whatdoyaknow, a gave it a few winds and she's been working fine ever since".

"May I see it?" Sure, he says and slides it off his wrist. It's nearly pristine. A 1680, meters first, red dial, silver date wheel, Top Hat 127 all original fantastic patina. . . I've got a semi going. . .o.k. fine, I came in my pants a little.

He then proceeds to tell me when his old watch died he was originally thinking of selling it "you know, get something new. Something better", but that something made him decide to keep it. I told him I was glad he did, but that he should still get a different watch to wear to work. "Yeah, you're probably right, people probably think I make too much money wearing a $400 watch, ha ha"

"ummmmm. That's worth a LOT more than $400. . ."

"yeah, I guess it's an antique these days, huh? I suppose it could be worth a little more than that now"

"Try 15 times more"

silence.

"ah. . .you're putting an old man on, now. . ."

I borrow a passer-by's iPad, log onto VRF and show him.

He actually cried.

• Like 6

Beautiful story cj!

Back in the dark ages when I was in my 20's I knew a guy like that, he was an amateur watchmaker.

He's the one that got me really started on watches, especially Rolex. He worked part time at a hardware store too.

Thanks for sharing that story...you made his day for sure! :)

Great story. It's funny, the value of vintage Rolex watches has really shot up only in the last decade or so...with the advent of the internet and online watch forums like VRF, TZ, etc. Before, subs like that gentleman's were bought and sold for a few hundred bucks all day long, listed in the Sunday classifieds, etc. I bought my 1680 from the original owner, some old timer who was an iron worker all his life. Wore it every day since he bought it new in the late 70s. It was just a watch to him. Not saying it wasn't special for him but it wasn't an investment or anything. I think it's great that Home Depot guy wears his now. So it gets a few nics and dings and scratches. Trust me, it won't affect the value too much. It's value is appreciated so much more on his wrist than in some collector's safe. Makes for solid provenance.

Guest zeleni kukuruz

@cjj

Mate, thank you very much for giving me this read! It is a very nice story and when i read it i feelt like i was there :), you made not just my day but i think you gave the old man 10years more to live :)

Thanks m8, great story!

Thanks guys. Yeah, I'm aware that these used to go for that kind of money. I've seen some where they have the original receipt from when the original G.I. owner bought it at the PX somewhere in Southeast Asia for around $175-200. Still blows my mind, though. And yes - a little devil appeared on my shoulder and whispered bad things in my ear at that moment too. Integrity always prevails, however. Glad you all enjoyed it.

Thanks guys. Yeah, I'm aware that these used to go for that kind of money. I've seen some where they have the original receipt from when the original G.I. owner bought it at the PX somewhere in Southeast Asia for around $175-200. Still blows my mind, though. And yes - a little devil appeared on my shoulder and whispered bad things in my ear at that moment too. Integrity always prevails, however. Glad you all enjoyed it.

great character!

meters first, wow...you just dont see those in the wild.

most collectors who buy them, stuff them into deposits boxes. a shame really

Great story, and kudos to you for telling the fellow the truth about the value of the watch.

What most of the younger members around don't understand that up until the past couple of decades or so, watches, especially mid price watches like Rolex, Omega, Etc, were not collectors items. I'm sure there were wealthy "collectors" out there, collecting Patek's Breuget's and other high end watches, but not stainless steel sports watches. During the late 60's and early 70's I bought several Rolexes, A 1680, a 1665 and a Daytona. I never paid over 500.00 USD for any of them. It was very hard to sell a used watch back then, usually ended up trading them for another. only way was classified ads and word of mouth.Most people bought a Rolex because it was considered to be a sturdy, well made accurate watch that with some cxare would last for a long,long time. People wore the heck out of them, and it's a testament to their quality that most of them have survived to this day in pretty good shape. Guys just like your lumber yard gentleman wore their Sub to work every day in everey kind of working condition. Their weren't any "safe Queens" back then!!