When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

TC Sub/Gen Insert Headaches: Fits bezel, pops out when installed on case

lhooq

So I finally decided to go with a modern Sub and ordered one of TC's insert-less V4 16610s. At the same time, I was able to source a genuine 16610 insert from a friend. Both the watch and the insert arrived today. Unfortunately, I can't get them to get together.

Off the case, the insert snaps into the bezel ring perfectly. But once the bezel is pressed onto the mid-case, pop goes the insert! It seems like the metal lip around the crystal is pushing against the inner edge of the insert.

I have zero experience with modern Submariners, so I have to ask some basic questions: Is this normal? When I read about people working their thumbs around the circumference of the insert, are they doing this while the bezel is already mounted?

Right now, my thumbs and fingertips are killing me. They haven't felt this awful since the time I mounted a particularly tight set of wire-bead Specialized cyclocross tires on my bicycle's rims.

i-CW8RxJt-X3.jpg

"Shut the door! I'm naked!"

Thanks, sneed and M! I'll bring the insert in for a shave and see how it goes tomorrow.

Other than that issue, it's a remarkable out-of-the-box rep. It's tempting to respond with, "It better be, for that price" until I remember how much guys were willing to spend on WM9s not too long ago.

Never thought I'd be a modern Sub guy, but I believed the hype! And you'd better believe the hype!

(Except for the bit about the gen inserts fitting unmodified...)

M,

Are you saying the inner dimension of the insert is touching the crystal/retainer and popping out the insert?

I'm thinking if you can get the insert to snap into the bezel...while the bezel is off the watch...but then installing the bezel/insert...the insert pops out...might be a different problem. Many have had issues gettin inserts mounted because really tight fit, but thats different than your problem.

To be sure, you know for fact you have a 16610 insert and not a 14060 or 16660?

The latter two are different sizes inner diameter.

Oh...and congrats! :)

To be sure, you know for fact you have a 16610 insert and not a 14060 or 16660?

My source is unimpeachable (and a few posts up the page, actually). :)

And thanks! It's nice to go modern for a change. But don't expect me with a ceramic Sub anytime soon!

Strange - the TW best crystal retaining ring does this but the TC one is lower profile so should not have this issue. I guess the tolerance may not be consistent and you are suffering from that - I shaved the inside of an insert gradually on a TW best and eventually it fitted fine so that solution sounds valid.

I had a similar problem when trying to fit gen insert to my tc sub, I tried and tried and the ......snap :( broke the gen insert straight through the triangle which holds the pearl, ended up buying a brand new insert and very slightly sanding around edge and now it pops in and out with a little tension :)

Had to do it recently, tried a first attempt and sods law says it was a no go...as expected. I then followed the Rymeisters lead and got out the 1600 grit emery. Went around a few times ...no go :D kept going doing a couple of revolutions around the emery with the insert and testing again. At one stage I was tempted to just pull out the heavy grit but thought no just keep going as it can't be too far away.

Well I kept going with the 1600 for about 20 mins testing it after every few revolutions, at one stage I thought I'm gonna ballss this up but eventually it snapped in very securely and looks great now. This with an absolute 110% gen insert. Was cursing it at the time but happy now. So much for straight on click in fit, no way!

Had to do it recently, tried a first attempt and sods law says it was a no go...as expected. I then followed the Rymeisters lead and got out the 1600 grit emery. Went around a few times ...no go :D kept going doing a couple of revolutions around the emery with the insert and testing again. At one stage I was tempted to just pull out the heavy grit but thought no just keep going as it can't be too far away.

Well I kept going with the 1600 for about 20 mins testing it after every few revolutions, at one stage I thought I'm gonna ballss this up but eventually it snapped in very securely and looks great now. This with an absolute 110% gen insert. Was cursing it at the time but happy now. So much for straight on click in fit, no way!

Lol I was cursing my insert the whole time when sanding it and thought the exact same thing about busting out the coarse paper ;)

same thing happened on the old 1:1 16610 MBW subs, retianing ring was pushing it back out once installed, problem was the bezel ring was too short in height to allow the insert to sit above the retaining ring once installed.

i doubt this is whats happening here with the TC but something worth eliminating as a possibility

Lol I was cursing my insert the whole time when sanding it and thought the exact same thing about busting out the coarse paper ;)

:D I'm grateful to you Ry that you cleared up that it needed to be sanded earlier.. (although at the cost to you of a perfectly good insert :( ,which was a bloody shame.) if I hadn't expected that it needed to be sanded I'm absolutely sure I would've broken mine trying to force it in aswell....it was a bugger to fit!

when this happens it is because the crystal diameter is a touch wide. Make sure the insert will fit over the crystal. You can change the crystal and maybe find one, a thousandth or 2 smaller than the one on the watch. If not you will have to trim the inside diameter of the insert. Good luck

Urgh... Here comes the heartbreak. I left the Sub and the insert with my watchsmith today with the instructions to make them fit. I returned to find that he'd taken a not insignificant bit of metal off the inner edge of the gen insert.

i-jKFrxMX-X3.jpg

Too upset with myself to even search for the banging-head-on-the-wall emoticon...

I wonder if that insert is from the same batch that Startime is selling as gen inserts. I bought one to test from them and it is very much the same insert you show here and a pain to fit around the crystal. Have you tried a used gen to fit?

E

i'm going to chime in here.....i wish i had seen this sooner. The TC bezel assembly is designed to work with a gen insert. There are some +/- to the tolerence around the inner diameter of the bezel. Some gen 16610 inserts will pop right in with no mods and some need a little sanding around the outer edge only. I have only seen two bezel assemblies with the TC subs. The first has shallow teeth and the second has more deeper ones. They are both built the same.Just from a different batch. I have measured them with electronic calipers.You should never have to grind the inside of your gen insert! You have the wrong insert my friend most likely for a non date sub or seadweller......The crystal that comes with the TC sub is gen spec and made to fit gen subs./gen sub construction.

A true Gen insert will fit without modifications, at the begining is har to get to get in, start by putting in the side where the pearl is and work your way to the other end and use some kind of plastic piece or wood to press down at the end the insert, it is just hard but that the way it is.

A true Gen insert will fit without modifications, at the begining is har to get to get in, start by putting in the side where the pearl is and work your way to the other end and use some kind of plastic piece or wood to press down at the end the insert, it is just hard but that the way it is.

I'd read about your efforts prior to starting this thread, and, in fact, one of my remarks referred to them: "When I read about people working their thumbs around the circumference of the insert, are they doing this while the bezel is already mounted?"

The thing with my Sub is that the gen insert will snap on perfectly when the bezel is off the case. Once the bezel is pressed on, the insert pops off. So, are you fitting your insert after you've mounted the bezel, or while it's off the watch?

I have measured them with electronic calipers.You should never have to grind the inside of your gen insert! You have the wrong insert my friend most likely for a non date sub or seadweller......The crystal that comes with the TC sub is gen spec and made to fit gen subs./gen sub construction.

Could you share some of your measurements? I would like to confirm that the problem is my insert, and not my TC Sub.