When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Where are you hiding your watches in your home ? Or, do you have them all at the bank?

Stephane

Hey 'Nuq, what kind of dog is that? Easy to train?

That's a rare breed, the Ursus BrownShortsus. His training was brief, and focused... now every time I see him I scream like a little girl.

Trained? Check.

IMHO the safest place to store your watches is in an empty beer bottle in the front yard. Nobody's gonna pick that sucker up.

I have mine in a safe. I believe that if you make it very difficult and inconvenient thieves will move on to something easier. First off,I live out in a country subdivision, houses are on 5 to 20 acre plots. one very narrow road in and out. About 20 places where parking a sheriff's car would completely block escape, couple of big mean dogs, plus a little mean yippy dog inside. Safe is in a narrow closet, lag bolted through the floor directly into floor joists. Not enough room to get a pry bar inside the closet to tear the safe up from the floor, plus pretty hard to concentrate with all the dogs barking. Best of all a very nosy and suspicious neibor who will call the Sheriff's office if something doesn't look right. Insurance on the genuine watches and wife's jewelry as well.Insurance is mainly to cover loss or theft when we travel, as well as possible loss in a fire. A safe is a good thing not only for your valuable watches, jewelry, but most are fireproof to some extent, and it's a good place to store documents that you don't want to lose. When we go out of town for business or vacation, I even stick my backup hard drive in the safe. How many of us have all our financial records (Quicken,Quickbooks), word documents, etc on a computer that would be a pile of melted plastic and metal if it went through a fire?

So far so good!!

• Like 1

A reputation around the place that you live is good to have, or maybe that should be a BAD reputation, like when you get knocked off your harley on the main crossroads in the town you get up and "educate" the person who knocked you off, luckily my reputation was that that there were no wittnesses to the incident anyway and when it came to court i was found not guilty of agravated assult and criminal damage. (with thanks also to an outstanding lawyer)

I don't have a safe at the bank nor in my home. Then again, I only have rep's and a few minus 800usd gen's. Those are just lying on a padded shelf in the closet near my bed. All my doors and windows are under alarm though, and I'm pretty determined to cause serious bodily harm to the first person that I encounter in my house at night (that doesn't belong in my house of course, that's an important part -_-').

Well, as weird as it may sound, I would be very unhappy of my lowest value rep is stolen.

It is not only about a couple of high end gens...it's just about "I love them all" and if a prick is running away with one, whatever the value is, I will feel miserable !

I prefer to not let the prick run away, maybe i will let them crawl away bu then they can still talk, better is a good deterant. I am not a great dog fan as i dont have the time and love they deserve but they are a good deterant, make it as hard as you can for the burglar, there will always be an easyer target

Edit

Employ Etien as a guard dog, he may lick them to death but he may also talk them to death but a 6'3" he is a good deterant and he definatly can drink them to death

And you can quote me on this to him ! it is a compliment

If you have an alarm system which is centrally monitored (like me) why do you need armored storage for your reps? Normal burglars run as soon as the alarm horn sounds. Hell, a burglar normally passes over a house which displays the alarm company signs.

If you have an alarm system which is centrally monitored (like me) why do you need armored storage for your reps? Normal burglars run as soon as the alarm horn sounds. Hell, a burglar normally passes over a house which displays the alarm company signs.

You're right.

Most of the burglaries in our area are theft by opportunity. Mostly breaking into unlocked cars, ripping off purses, CD's, Sunglasses.,etc. One of the disadvantages of living in a small town/rural area is we all tend to develop a "Mayberry" attitude. It's a wonderful place, everyone loves everyone else, no crime, etc. Well of course that was before Meth, Crack, Cocaine, and a vast array of ill gotten prescription drugs. Now about 99% of the crime is committed by a small minority of people who are just looking for the next fix.The good thing for those that take precautions, the opportunistic thief is going to pass up the house with a lot of lights, dogs, Alarm co. signs, etc. There are just too many other houses around with unlocked doors, things left outside, easy pickings for a snatch and run thief. If on the other hand, you get hit by a real professional, none of the above is going to be a real deterrent. Lucky for us, we don't have enough of the things that a professional would want, I hope!!

I walk in two different options...

1 - I have a few pieces that I wear rarely in my safety deposit box at the bank along with important papers and a cash stash...

2 - I have a watch & jewelry tray on top of my dresser in my bedroom... I keep a couple of reps and some other random crap in this...

I then have the nicer pieces as well as my gens hid in plane sight... Places that a burglar would never think to look unless he literally ransacked every square inch of the house...

Employ Etien as a guard dog, he may lick them to death but he may also talk them to death but a 6'3" he is a good deterant and he definatly can drink them to death

And you can quote me on this to him ! it is a compliment

Ah, that is a good idea...but he would cost me a fortune in Ricard :fool:

Yes, I agree that my Alarm is a good thing as there are signs everywhere to let them know they'd better choose an easier target.

Plus it is indeed centraly monitored.

Having said that, it may take 15 minutes before they send someone after having called me and follow their procedures.

A thief with good skills can find everything they need in 15 minutes.

And I'm pretty sure professionals know that these alarms companies are not sending somebody right away.

So, a safe is a second level of security in the case the enter the house.

If it is burried in the ground and in an unexpected location, it will certainly take more than 15 minutes to find it and open it.

Many thanks for all the advices so far!

1stly, never tell any of your friends or relatives about valuables in your home. Loose lips definitely sink ships in these cases. The fewer people who know what you have, the less chance you have of being targeted by professional thieves.

Certainly, the best option is to store valuables in a bank safety deposit vault. 2nd best, if you can afford it, is to have 1 of those large, heavy vault-style safes bolted to the internal structure of your house. Think small bank vault in your home. It is highly unlikely that anyone is going to be able to carry off a 2,000 pound block of steel & only a professional thief will have the tools or knowledge to break into a vault. Of course, if professional jewel thieves know you have expensive jewelry in your home, that gives them more of a reason to target you & there is little you can do to stop them.

For most people, the 2 best schemes I know of are -

1. Install 2 safes - 1, the bait safe, located in an easy to spot location within your bedroom closet (containing junk jewelry), which is the 1st place most thieves will look & the other, the real safe (containing the real stuff), located in another room with the safe bolted to the internal structure of the house.

2. Buy 1 of those small, portable safes that are designed to look like a Brillo (steel wool) box or soap can or some other ordinary household cleaner & place it in a cabinet in your bathroom or kitchen. That is, somewhere that people do not generally store valuables.

Either I'm too young, too naive, or just not paranoid enough, but I just don't have any sort of safe. Of course, that could be the Canadian in me (according to Michael Moore, we don't even lock our doors ;) )

And yes, while I haven't had my house robbed before, I have been mugged at gun point.