When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

5513 or 1680?

dieselpower

Hello to all,

I have not been around these parts for ages. Sorry. Things have moved on in the rep world and I am now trying to catch up. I have a 6263 build underway will show pics when I get it back. I need a repair on my modded 1665. Will report when fixed. Anyway to get to the point of my thread: I have been considering gathering parts for a sub. I have decided on either a 5513 or a 1680. From my out of date knowledge MBW cases would be a good start - is this still true? If you experts were to embark on a build what is the route forward for the best value reasonably accurate result? I don't think I will be going down the gen movement path - too pricey and slow beat eta's are to me a perfectly acceptable replacement. So, if you don't mind sharing your knowledge and possibly starting a heated debate - what would you do?

Thanks in advance for all opinions/help.

Welcome back! :tu:

A heated debate? If it were up to me, I'd build the 1680 and then set it on an acetylene burner and see if I could get it to glow cherry red. :Jumpy:

Good to see you back.

MBW is still probably the cheapest way to go to produce a credible looking 5513 (I have no personal experience with 1680s).

However, it might be worth considering a move up to an aftermarket case, which would negate the need for modding & make it easier to retrofit a gen movement at some point in the future. Yuki's cases look very good & his prices tend to average about half as much as NDT & J&W.

As above, I think it depends if a date window is a requirement. FWIW, I've been using a 5513 case with a Tudor dial as a beater on and off for some time, and must say it is a very comfortable watch to wear :)

PS Welcome back, amigo :good::drinks:

Thanks for the welcome. A change of career, buying a second home and having another child certainly does take up some time! Now where was I? Oh yes, watches - the date or no date issue, given the fact that I have a nice 1665 SD I am tempted towards the 5513. I am a simple chap and the simplicity of the watch appeals to me. So. If that were to be my chosen project what is the way forward? My limited knowledge says MBW case, slow beat eta, replacement glass (don't know what the gen is but I have a source for gens) and some nice vintageised dial and handset. As for the bracelet my instincts say gen, I have a few gen bracelets and they really help the watch on its way to feeling pukka.

So, here it is - I am going to build a 5513. I am going to acquire a mixture of gen and rep parts. My pocket is not and endless pit and I am quite happy with an eta slow beat movement. What do you suggest?

P.S. Its gooooood to be back :throb:

Josh 5513 127$

Ingod44 dial 130$

Gen crown 60-70$

Clark tube 17$

Ofrei or Yuki pearl 24$

Josh's insert is usable, just age it.

Clark T19 service crystal 10$

Open lugholes for 2mm bars

2mm springbars 6$

• Like 1

It's just a good deal. The josh has the same gen bezel construction as MBW, gen parts fit easy.

MBW will be hard to find, and other than the crown gards the josh is almost as good for 3-400$ less :)

I have three MBW and love them, but I also have a few subs built on the josh case.

The MBW's have been harder to get. You have to find them used. A couple pop up every month on the sales forums.

The josh for that price comes with Asian movement. I have had no trouble with mine.

Unless you really fancy them crownguards being perfect i would indeed tag along the many who already chose the 5513 Base from Joshua. Personally, i think a gen insert is a very good investment (hate on me if you like :D) in any vintage rolex.

Gen Thin Font Service Inserts are usually about 150-200USD. (These have no tritium pearl and often glows alot)

Medium fat font can be found for about 350USD, but usually without pearl (which is what the reps often miss on).

There is also the option to use a Poor mans watch forums insert (PMWF) at about 70USD + Yuki pearl (25USD) = very nice insert under 100 USD

Josh 5513 127$

Ingod44 dial 130$

Gen crown 60-70$

Clark tube 17$

Ofrei or Yuki pearl 24$

Josh's insert is usable, just age it.

Clark T19 service crystal 10$

Open lugholes for 2mm bars

2mm springbars 6$

What hands would you recommend to fit the Asian movement if one was to buy an Ingod dial with white markers?