When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Which Birth year watch would you chose ?

PeteM

I have wondered on occasion ... if I could pick a watch built or issued in my birth year which would it be?

I found a few the most notable being the GP Chronograph... which design is still used today... and referred to as the 1966... of course there were some inovations in my birth year.. including the introduction of a High Frequency movement... used in the above watch :)

But the watch for me has to be the Omega Speedmaster 105.012-65 .... This watch was issued in 1966 just before the 105.045 series or better known as the Moon watch...

The 1966 model is referred to as the Pre-Moon watch.... it was first released in 1957 with a slightly different look and calibre movement... it was used for timing purposes at the Olympic Games....

It was given the name Speedmaster because of its tachymeter scale bezel...It originally had the Broadarrow look but was the first to use Omega's triple register chronograph.... which of course is a design constant in Omega's up to the present...

It was redesigned in 1963 with straight hands and an assymetrical case used to protect the pushers...

It was at this time (1962) that NASA as it was sent out invitations to watch makers to evaluate thier watches for the space programme... The Gemini and Apollo programmes.

Though there is an old wives tale about some atches being bought from a Huston watchsmith for this purpose that was not the case...

Watches were recieved from Breitling, Rolex, Omega and others including Hamilton who gave a pocket watch... the final choices were.....Rolex, Longines and Omega...

After much testing, the Omega was chosen... because it had survived all the tests and still maintained an accuracy of +/- 5 seconds per day

The 105.012 was issued to the Gemini team...... In 1966 the 105.045 was released as the official Appollo watch but was the Pre-Moon.... that it would remain for another three years... its also important to note that these were all hand wind mechanical movements.... Autos didnt arrive till 1969 :)

The reason I choose this watch from the many I could have is because it represents to me..... going forward into the unknown.... that idea of not alwyas knowing if your best will be good enough... but despite that still going forward into the 'darkness'

It may not be the prettiest or the most most complicated... but it was what it needed to be functional and reliable in any percieveable condition

Thats why I chose it as my birth year watch

Out of interest..... Armstrong had the 105.012 wheras Aldrin had the 105.045..... Armstrong left his watch in the craft when he stepped out onto the moon.... Aldrin was wearing his.... so the first Moon watch is the 105.045

Also out of interest here is an idea of the tests used on the watches.....

• High temperature: 48 hours at 71°C followed by 30 minutes at 93°C
  • Low temperature: Four hours at -18°C
  • Temperature cycling in near-vacuum: Fifteen cycles of heating to 71°C for 45 minutes, followed by cooling to -18°C for 45 minutes at 10−6 atm
  • Humidity: 250 hours at temperatures between 20°C and 71°C at relative humidity of 95%
  • Oxygen environment: 100% oxygen at 0.35 atm and 71°C for 48 hours
  • Shock: Six 11ms 40 G shocks from different directions
  • Linear acceleration: from 1 to 7.25G within 333 seconds
  • Low pressure: 90 minutes at 10−6 atm at 71°C followed by 30 minutes at 93°C
  • High pressure: 1.6 atm for one hour
  • Vibration: three cycles of 30 minutes vibration varying from 5 to 2000 Hz with minimum 8.8G impulse
  • Acoustic noise: 30 minutes at 130db from 40 to 10,000 Hz

What would yours be ?

Technically speaking, it should be a circa 1978 Rolex 1665, but, in 1981, I underwent major heart surgery, which I consider as a re-birthday, so I consider the 16800 as my birthyear watch rather than the 1665 :)

I love the idea of it being "Circa" :)

Sounds like my wife...... "Circa 21 "

:)

Glad the Op worked though mate :)

I love the idea of it being "Circa" :)

Sounds like my wife...... "Circa 21 "

:)

Glad the Op worked though mate :)

:lol: It's not a word used enough in daily conversation :lol:

Cheers, wouldn't be here if it hadn't :lol: Had bronchitis every winter till I was 13, and still have a tendency to bronchitis rather than having 'just a cold', but Swine Flu didn't kill me, so not such a bad result :lol: Part of the planning for my bodysuit is so that the scar will form one of the negative spaces in a cloud spiral :victory:

Its great to read these replies.... I know some of them but a few I had to check... not being a Rolex sort of guy..

However..... why would you choose them...

For example I forgot to mention in terms of looks why I like this watch.... The T lume.... The Sub lay out... the outer bezel in terms of the numbering etc

Also I have my dads Omega, I have my grandads Omega and his dads Omega..... The oldest one was made in 1884.... its plain and simple pocket watch in gunmetal grey.... when that was sitting in his pocket he could only imagine what the release of the pre-moon watch could mean not just to the world of watches but to the furtherance of mankind....

Great write up on the Speedmaster, Pete :)

I think you may actually mean the 145.012, which followed the 105.012, though.

I'm with you all the way on the appreciation of the Speedy - so much so, that I own a couple, although neither from my birth year - I'm somewhere in-between; a '67 145.012 and an '85 145.022.

Must do a write up on those myself, one of these days!

Edited by Carrera906

Its great to read these replies.... I know some of them but a few I had to check... not being a Rolex sort of guy..

However..... why would you choose them...

For example I forgot to mention in terms of looks why I like this watch.... The T lume.... The Sub lay out... the outer bezel in terms of the numbering etc

Also I have my dads Omega, I have my grandads Omega and his dads Omega..... The oldest one was made in 1884.... its plain and simple pocket watch in gunmetal grey.... when that was sitting in his pocket he could only imagine what the release of the pre-moon watch could mean not just to the world of watches but to the furtherance of mankind....

Date of release aside, for me, the 1981 16800 combines the design elements I most like from Rolex: Matte dials with flat markers, sapphire crystal and squared case, with hollow end links on the bracelet :) Not just built at the right time, but IMHO, the pinnacle of the Submariner line. The 16610 is also okay, but everything since then has been a downhill slide, and the early 16800 really hit the nail on the head (IMHO) :good::drinks:

I'm a 78 and I've got a few datejusts from this year but I want to get a 5513 and 18038. I wouldn't mind buying my daughter a watch but she is only 15months old and whilst she knows what a clock is. She cannot yet tell the time.

She likes to have a watch strapped on her wrist and parades around with it. Quite funny.

I don't really like any of the modern rolex. Probably WG submariner for her. But I'll wait a few years until the price of these becomes acceptable.

Great write up on the Speedmaster, Pete :)

I think you may actually mean the 145.012, which followed the 105.012, though.

No mate the 145.012 is the reference made by the Smithsonian with Aldrins watch... which they lost when he sent it to them.... that was the model reference updated in late 1966... the watch above is the 105.012

The watches worn by Aldrin on the moon and the one Armstrong left in the module were actually 105.012 and 145.012 respectively... (typo edited Thanks Tim)

Some still refer to the lost watch as a 145.012 the main reason for this is that they forgot that both astronauts wore watches that were issued much earlier than the re reference...but because it got lost it was mistakenly reported as the 145.012 that being the current reference at the time of recording it by the Smithsonian..

I am surprised all you guys are going with Rolexs...

Love the Macro Don :)

I'm a 78 and I've got a few datejusts from this year but I want to get a 5513 and 18038. I wouldn't mind buying my daughter a watch but she is only 15months old and whilst she knows what a clock is. She cannot yet tell the time.

She likes to have a watch strapped on her wrist and parades around with it. Quite funny.

I don't really like any of the modern rolex. Probably WG submariner for her. But I'll wait a few years until the price of these becomes acceptable.

I had to re-read that twice, at first reading, I thought you were 78, so to have a 15 month old, I was thinking "Damn, hope I'm still getting some at that age :victory:" :lol: How about a GMTIIc?

I had to re-read that twice, at first reading, I thought you were 78, so to have a 15 month old, I was thinking "Damn, hope I'm still getting some at that age :victory:" :lol: How about a GMTIIc?

LOL !! I must admit it took me three reads !! :)

This one:

In 1974, the M.N. started to extensively equip their commando marines with Tudor submariners. From this point, most of the watches (except a few, for some "sterile" reasons) are marked on the back MN 19xx or MNxx. This date -1974- is very important from a collector's point of view. This transitional model (case reference 7016/0) always has a black dial and "square" or "diamond hands" (see below) The case back is slightly different from subsequent models in that it retains somewhat of a "bubble back" look. The movement is now an ETA 2483, non-hack, no longer found on the earlier models. Of course, the rose is no longer the Tudor emblem, replaced in the late 60's by the current shield.

MN742.jpg

I read the sme thing!!! I did a double take on the 15mth old!

It's probably just me, but I feel that choosing a long-lived model like a Speedmaster or Submariner as a birth-year watch is a bit of a cheat. I would like a watch that is "of its time" and tied to a year as closely as possible.

Since I was born in '77, I'll take a Heuer Montreal, a Speedmaster LCD, an Oysterquartz or a Vacheron Constantin 222!

It's probably just me, but I feel that choosing a long-lived model like a Speedmaster or Submariner as a birth-year watch is a bit of a cheat. I would like a watch that is "of its time" and tied to a year as closely as possible.

Since I was born in '77, I'll take a Heuer Montreal, a Speedmaster LCD, an Oysterquartz or a Vacheron Constantin 222!

Trust you !! :)

Greedy guts.....

For you, PeteM of '66, I choose a Favre-Leuba Bathy 50 for swimming, a Universal Geneve Space Compax if you want a chronograph, or an Aquastar Deepstar if you want a bit of both!

Good man... but you are still too Greedy !! :)

But for you I will put my voodoo doll away......... (For now !! ;) )