When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

UK - Customs Sezirue

AndyFors

You are right but it is an option with most if you specify....

But it is just as much a risk as EMS (Parcelforce)..... especially if you request a low value on the customs declaration.... that after all is one reason packages get pulled out....

If you use DHL etc ( which incidentally is $35 for under 500grammes from GZ to UK in three working days) you should state value at around $100 or over if not you will still attract attention.... remember customs main target is revenue not counterfeit goods...

But when you do that you will attract surcharges in UK.... Admin (average is about £13.50) for carrier, VAT (20%) but duty wont be attributable unless over $140 ish ... Vat is chatrgeable on the item regardless of it being a gift, being a returned item etc if over £39 ish... the total also includes the shipping cost itself...

So $90 value $35 postage will be total of $125 converted at HMR&C standard currency rates.... So if say it was Parcelforce then your total charge will be £30.30p payable before delivery...

If any carrier thinks they can get an extra payment from declared values they tend to ensure ;) that it gets through ;)

• 2 months later...

well... after 3 years using EMS (China to UK), it arrives the time that one of my packages was "handed".

Today i receive a letter from T.M EY.E, saying that they suspected counterfeit mont.blanc product, and they will destroy it. 

It´s time to say goodbye to the package....  :( I just don´t know if they have a kind of "blacklist", and if can happens again to me in future. But for sure, i will stop for now buying in non-europe countries. 

I just want to scream "F....................K!!!"  

Not sure about the "blacklist" thing, but over here in the USA, it's very easy for Customs to put your name and address in their computer system with a "Red Flag" which means they may scrutinize your packages more thoroughly that normal. Sometimes if you have had a couple of packages seized, it would be better to have it sent to a different address under a different name.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I had a package delivered from a td in China to the UK on 22nd May after sitting in Coventry for over a week. The package had clearly been opened but all 3 rollie reps were still in the package and had no letter or customs charges. Guessing I was lucky.

I had a package delivered from a td in China to the UK on 22nd May after sitting in Coventry for over a week. The package had clearly been opened but all 3 rollie reps were still in the package and had no letter or customs charges. Guessing I was lucky.

That's good to know. I've had no update on the tracking now for 13 days. I am not known for my patience at the best of times and it's doing my head in.

It's has also put me right off further orders from GZ TDs, because I order quite a lot of diecast models, and RC electronic components from China. If I get blacklisted by customs I am worrying that I won't be able to order these any more.

What's worse is that whilst I would happly forgo the white Hublot Classic Fusion as I have other light coloured dial watches in my collection, I am really pining for the U1 with the orange dial and black numerals. I just love the aesthetics and I can't find a gen watch that would stand as an alternative. There are some minimalist quartz Alessi's but they aren't the same!

Anyone know how long it takes for customs to contact you, if they are going to contact you?

Thanks all

Inpatient N.

• 1 year later...

Good thoughts! However, federal officials are cautioning sports fan to help themselves against counterfeit merchandise and tickets since professional footballs are getting nearer. Apparently, with the 2012 London Olympics in full-swing, experts in the United Kingdom are warning vacationers to avoid getting bogus merchandise. There have been hundreds of arrests already for criminals trying to import or sell the knock-off products. While bogus sporting souvenirs are nothing new, the Olympics are sure to cause a spike in such activity this summer.