When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Why in general do gen watch owners hate reps ?

alterego

Most guys I know who have one or two gen watches generally fall in the hate bracket towards reps..... because of whats been said before here... in terms of earning the right, working hard etc...

Most guys I know with gens who are interested in watches... have no problem with reps.... As long as you dont try to pass off your rep as a gen !

The accuracy of a rep or getting it more accurate .. to me is about pleasure, its about enjoying a journey, its about enjoying a hobby and sharing that enjoyment...its about this community and the friends I have here... it is not and never has been about trying to fool people into thinking I wear loads of gens..... I will happily tell someone my watch is a rep... though most of the times I have been called out... I have been wearing a gen.... Yes I do play with people who think they know more than they do but that is a different thing IMHO... I like to watch them build themselves up and then wait for that right moment... to stick my pin in thier balloon... (not that that has happened much)

I think what any gen wearer and indeed any proper people hate is someone trying to pass off themselves as someone they are not.... and those people usually wear reps to do that ....

That general level of hate or despisment is that most people dont understand what we in this hobby are about or certainly most us.... if they did their attitude might be swayed... because all they see is guys trying to sell reps as gens or guys wearing reps pretending that they are something that they are not....

But you do see those same guys on here.... and I hate them... because all they do is register.... and post.... "where can i find...?" or "What is the best...?" now some of these guys then disappear some stick around to increase there rep collection to fool others and some are converted to the enjoyment and pleasure of this hobby and more importantly this community..

And overall I like this community more than the gen community of which I am a member of several.... because it is in the main truely about enjoying and discussing watches... and seeing what guys have done or want to do.... and not about look at me... look what I have or look where my wristie is now not because they want to share but because they want to show off !!

So you could say I hate rep wearers !! ;)

"That general level of hate or despisment is that most people dont understand what we in this hobby are about or certainly most us.... if they did their attitude might be swayed... because all they see is guys trying to sell reps as gens or guys wearing reps pretending that they are something that they are not."

I couldn't agree more with your statement. Unfortunately, we still pose a very serius threat to those peole, because we undermine their concept of "success," in a world where "your are what you wear;" regardless who you actually are.

• Like 1

Not sure anyone is saying here that there are only one or two archetypal rep collectors mate...certainly not what I read here.. but there is a big difference between these D-bags as you put it.... one is a D-bag .. who not only wants to show off but also wants to con you ... now whether that con is just in how much he pretends to be worth or to con you in how much he spends on a watch...... he is just a con .. to himself and those around him...

The other D-bag is just a D-bag...with money...

Or a successful con man :) :)

Agree that no one has said there are only a few stereotypes of rep owners in this thread. My comment wasn't meant to reject the hypothetical argument, it is just a BROAD and obvious statement that there are variety of people and personalties that is the rep population. I apologize if my earlier post wasn't clear.

Concerning the hey-look-at-me D-bags, it doesn't matter to me what their motivations are on why they are such attention-seeking whores, they are annoying and need to be culled!

Frankly I don't buy into what is said here. "A passion for classic mechanical machines"? With an Asian 21-J movement faking a Patek? "not about status"? Why dont people buy an original Seagull Tourbillon instead of a Rolex fake? If we are honest a lot of the fascination actually comes form the brand. And the brand has a lot to do with its proclaimed status and lifestyle.

What about replica watch brands which are not household names, like Bell & Ross or Panerai .. the only person who knows you are wearing a replica of an expensive watch is you and maybe one person you meet every several months.

I started buying replicas with Bell & Ross, because I simply loved the design. People asked me about it, since it's so big and said "Did your kids get you that for Christmas" ... Your theory has a lot of exceptions.

What you read here are people's personal feelings. No one can express why every single person here buys replicas.

LOL @Maxman -timely appropriate levity.

I think that unless you have spent of your hard earned after tax discretionary income on a gen, you really can't relate to what gen owners think. And not the ol' BS, "I could buy that GEN if I wanted to" crap. Sure you love watches and horology and all that. Fine. I do too. But if we go on assumptions of $4000 per month in take home pay, and you want to buy a $9000 Rolex because you feel you really deserve it and have sacrificed and saved to get it; it will mean a lot to you. If on the other hand you take home $20,000 a month, and have the discretionary income, that $9000 Rollie won't seem like much of a stretch. It's like buying a set of wheels for your Porsche or a couple of nice suits and shoes. Just part of your everyday living expenses.

Tossing around a couple of hundred here and there for reps alone does not really afford the right perspective IMHO.

So the average gen buyer can feel slighted by the existence of reps and the people who try to pass them off as gen. But the wealthy gen owner might not pay much attention unless they have stretched for a high dollar Patek or AP and see the waiter sporting one.

At another level is ones ego or self image. This is very powerful and if the above people see a person wearing a gen and they look similar to the image they have of themselves, they tend to feel validated. But if the person is of a different or lower social status, it can rub against the powerful image they have of themselves. This dissonance can cause an anxiety that comes out in the form of anger towards rep wearers. This is pretty basic and powerful psychology and may seem like BS to some so I'll just leave it there. You guys can toss it around and debate it if you want. :)

snapback.pnggasebah, on 23 August 2012 - 02:56 PM, said:

Frankly I don't buy into what is said here. "A passion for classic mechanical machines"? With an Asian 21-J movement faking a Patek? "not about status"? Why dont people buy an original Seagull Tourbillon instead of a Rolex fake? If we are honest a lot of the fascination actually comes form the brand. And the brand has a lot to do with its proclaimed status and lifestyle.

I used to think this way Gasebah, and this is no doubt true for some - but I think the rep community wears what it does for deeper reasons too. For example, I could wear a Seagull Tourbillon instead of a Rolex - but my doing so many not be about the prestige I think I'll get from others, but from the fact that ONE reason the Rolex has become as popular as it has (or Omega or ...) is because the design and layout of their watches work better visually. So, Sea-gull (the dash is odd by corrrect for them) isn't as repped or sought after as much by either gen or rep community BECAUSE it has less status, but also because their design team simply hasn't put forth as appealing a product. I DO want a Tourbillon and the Sea-gull is the only one I'll ever afford, but as neat as that is - a 42 PO still looks better.

Now, sprinkle all of that with a healthy does of "status" and it's ready to eat. :)

p.s. I say this as a rep and gen wearer. I've driven a 2003 Corolloa worth 8K while wearing a gen JLC Chorno worth the same. Who'd think it was gen... I don't care. When I drive a nicer car and have my TC sub on, who thinks it's gen... I don't care. Either way.... I tell em' they're gens (just kiddin on that one :)...

Hey Jkay,

I am sure gasebah will speak for himself when he gets the chance, but I sort of see his point that it is unrealistic to completely disregard the attraction a certain brand provides. I don't quite buy the whole 'love for classical mechanical machines' when in fact the rep movements are nothing that resembles the in-house movements of the major brands. Or perhaps I have taken this out of context?

I agree with you that people got into this hobby for many different reasons. My interest was first piqued by an Internet popup ad that showed a Panerai and I thought "ohhh... me likey"...

Edited by PaneraiFan315
  • Like 2

Hey Jkay,

I am sure gasebah will speak for himself when he gets the chance, but I sort of see his point that it is unrealistic to completely disregard the attraction a certain brand provides. I don't quite buy the whole 'love for classical mechanical machines' when in fact the rep movements are nothing that resembles the in-house movements of the major brands. Or perhaps I have taken this out of context?

I agree with you that people got into this hobby for many different reasons. My interest was first piqued by an Internet popup ad that showed a Panerai and I thought "ohhh... me likey"...

For me, it's the exterior aesthetic of the watches, not the minutiae of the movement which makes the watch work. I can appreciate the Pan-Am/Rolex collaboration just as easily with an Asian GMT movement as I can with a Swiss GMT movement :) I still respect the company's contributions to the field of horology. For example, someone buying a poster of the Mona Lisa isn't going to refer to it as 'strangely smiling woman' just because it wasn't handpainted by Maestro Leonardo :)

[Edit to add]

What I'm trying to say, is that the 'attraction of a brand', is not necessarily contemporary status or price point :)

I bet if you followed the average Replica Hater Poster (RHP) home you would see that he has a lot of fake and illegal stuff.

His computer has pirated programs.

His (leased) Lexus has Jiffy Lube oil in it (not $10/quart 'Lexus Certified Oil').

He bought his gen-u-ine rolex...On Credit!

He watches bootleg DVDs.

He wears fake Oakleys.

He is waaay behind on his house payments.

His daughter ain't his but he don't know it.

His wife has fake ta-tas.

...and a girlfriend.

His 'girlfriend' is really a she-him.

He has a sock stuffed in his undies.

etc, etc... :pimp:

• Like 1

I bet if you followed the average Replica Hater Poster (RHP) home you would see that he has a lot of fake and illegal stuff.

His computer has pirated programs.

His (leased) Lexus has Jiffy Lube oil in it (not $10/quart 'Lexus Certified Oil').

He bought his gen-u-ine rolex...On Credit!

He watches bootleg DVDs.

He wears fake Oakleys.

He is waaay behind on his house payments.

His daughter ain't his but he don't know it.

His wife has fake ta-tas.

...and a girlfriend.

His 'girlfriend' is really a she-him.

He has a sock stuffed in his undies.

etc, etc... :pimp:

and i think that sums it up very nicely. lol :drinks:

"When I look at my watch, the last thing I see is the time"

I love this hobby

Mike

This resonates loudly with me, so I guess I'm in the horology camp.

I'm never without a watch on, and somehow I never know what time it is. I check my cell phone when I want to know the time. I have gens and reps, and I can get caught multiple times per day just staring at my watch, never actually caring what time it is. I use the rotating bezel, I use the date. I could care less if my TC sub has a 3135 or an 2824-2 in it. (Even though I know it would fit it) I'm attracted to the aesthetic of it all. The fact that good design is good design. Plus it puts a little extra coin in my pocket when I saved $7500 on a sub. ;)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

I don't even own any reps yet, just an homage Submariner (an Invicta 8926ob), I know, I know. But I really like it, and it's my daily wearer. But this homage kinda opened the door to the rep world for me. I've been a member on a gen forum for a couple years, and their self-imposed "reps are for losers" pseudo rules became laughable to me after I found rep forums. Mostly because they buy reps, too. They just can't post pics of their latest purchase without photoshopping out the logo that is on the dial of their new watch. Seemed kinda strange to me.

I've already got a few reps on my "to buy" list: a 45 mm PO with orange numerals and orange bezel, a Pam Radiomir (can't decide what particulars I want on his one yet!), and a Breitling Navitimer, if I can find one with a blue dial. I chose these because I like how they look. Because of my interest in these reps, I've learned a great deal about the gen watches they represent, and I now have a greater appreciation of the movements and case features that Omega, Panerai, and Breitling have developed.

I guess you could call my perspective the "newbie who just got bit by the rep bug" view! Lol!

Sent from my iPhone to the interwebs and straight to your brain using Tapatalk

After reading the comments on the queation I feel I know why I keep coming back to this forum. I have never read a thread in a gen forum where there was so much honesty and candidness when sharing about this passion for watches, regardless their gen or rep condition.

Cheers to you all watch lovers (help me out here, I'm sure there nust be a more appropriate adjective to identify ourselves)

After reading the comments on the queation I feel I know why I keep coming back to this forum. I have never read a thread in a gen forum where there was so much honesty and candidness when sharing about this passion for watches, regardless their gen or rep condition.

Cheers to you all watch lovers (help me out here, I'm sure there nust be a more appropriate adjective to identify ourselves)

Actually, a lot of us own both gens and reps. To me, there are certain models that the rep simply could not replace. Having said that, there are MANY models which I would rather get the rep. I do not think we "hate" the rep collectors, because to me, a watch is a personal decision and what a man (or woman) choose to wear is his own business and pleasure.

From experience, at the end of the day, WE are the ones who pay the most attention to our own watches, while casually glancing at the watches of our neighbors. Unless said neighbor is wearing a double tourbillon watch with shocking pink strap and diamond encrusted case, we would usually pass off the visual experience with "hey nice watch" and leave it up to the owner to go further from there. Gen or rep, if you could carry it off well, its your own business what you wear. Hating, or rather being condescending toward a rep collector just because he could not or would not wear the gen for whatever reason, is like hating the next shopper who buys the same item during a major sale. It is simply a matter of choice and affordability what watch one chooses. I have been asked if my gen ROO was a rep, and gotten my rep ROO mistaken for a gen before. Ultimately, nobody would care as much about what is on your wrist, more than yourself.So the hating, deriding, and ridicule for rep collectors by the so-called gen owners, happen mostly online, in my opinion.

I would not walk up to a guy wearing an obvious rep of a model I own and start blasting him for wearing a lousy rep. Especially if said guy is 100lbs more than me...

I just found some interesting info; cross posting from RWI

A very interesting thread going on over at watchuseek.com:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/lets-honest-about-watches-status-661994.html

It's quite amusing how defensive some people get when it is suggested that a watch is a status item :lol:

I would add to this that most gen owners are of the opinion that rep watches are junk that break quickly, or that the gold plating rubs off in the first few weeks. I think they have little respect for something of such low quality, that appears to cheapen the product they own.

I owned gens before reps, and the first two reps I bought were low quality Canal street junk that lasted only a few weeks. One a fake Cartier filled up with water when I washed my hands the day I bought it.

It took me a long time of reading this site to believe that reps could be of acceptable quality, and even then I started with a BK sub with ETA movement.

I came to this site from a long discussion on Ferrari chat on replica watches. http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=260825 Many of the members were not at all bothered by the idea of replica watches, but of course despised the idea of replica Ferraris. To me a good replica is fine, a canal street one is not. Equally, a MR2 disguised as a Ferrari F355 is offensive, while a really nice Cobra rep is cool. The MR2 is nothing like a Ferrari in character, but a good rep watch is quite similar to the gen.

maybe wearing a replica of something ( doesnt need to be a watch, can be also clothes or anythign else) shows insecurity, its more about the values than the quality of the item. and i think a watch is a part of the personal statement of yourself

Edited by iceberg1459

maybe wearing a replica of something ( doesnt need to be a watch, can be also clothes or anythign else) shows insecurity, its more about the values than the quality of the item. and i think a watch is a part of the personal statement of yourself

Totally disagree... Taking self-worth from something (as you say, could be clothes, car, watch, anything, be it replica or genuine) that is a sign of insecurity, IMHO, as it is coming from an external, rather than internal source. I think the shallow elitism of gen wearers comes to the front so clearly on some forums and discussions, that it is clear that they base their entire image and self-worth on their ownership of an item, and people wearing reps, shows that pretty much anyone can 'get the look' without having to spend X amount of Dollars, and that totally undermines the entire basis for their perceptions of theselves. It is, in their eyes, an attack on their very identity as it holds up the mirror to them and they see their own vanity and false-worth. Of course, the same could be said for a rep owner who was to base their own self-worth on a fake watch, as that would show someone building a sky scraper on quicksand foundations. Equally, someone could take a measure of pride in wearing a rep and considering it a sign of a financially realistic attitude and lifestyle :pardon: Those who wear the 'No Rolex No Sex' shirts, I bet they can't tell the difference between a rep and the gen :lol:

no-rolex-no-sex_132596.gif

Banging this one would probably lead to jail time :lol:

This topic has come up many times in the past....and It is a Interesting topic to be sure. Lets face It...not everyone fits under the same Umbrella...If you will. For me It's about value...bang for your buck as it were. When you look at the prices of gens compared to there rep counterparts...well there's just no denying the strong value that reps provide. Throw In the shity economy and the picture becomes quite clear. For the most part you get a lot for your money when you purchase a rep. I'm not talking about those pos Canal street reps.... but the reps we buy here. Many of the reps we buy here are of excellent quality. If that were not the case I seriously doubt that this forum would exsist. A community strong as this one would not be built on shity reps.

If I need a watch/clothing/car/etc to represent what kind of person I am....well Im In big trouble. The the thing is most people could care less about what kind of watch Im wearing. I too don't pay much attention to whats on someones wrist. Most folks are to busy to notice anyway... while there nose Is pressed up against there Iphone or whatever the [censored] there looking at these days. :D

I do understand why the gen owner might cring when his waiter looks to have the same sub or whatever on his wrist that he saved and worked hard for months/ years to obtain. But that gen owner knows what he's got... as well as the waiter. If the waiters sub is a gen....well thats the restaurant that I want to work at. :D

Mike

post-19368-0-16771400-1345894035_thumb.j

People who buy reps are insincere, ego maniacal jackasses.

You know I really admire and respect you !! :)

I am of course much more informed and intelligent than you and for that reason I am more important !! ;)

And what do you mean the top of the 6 marker is off by 0.002 mm ... Thats a disgrace and I wouldnt accept that... It should be 1:1!!! It says so on the dealers site....!! ;)

and yes!!! ....Of course they are all are........ but not me.... !! :)

• Like 1

This topic has come up many times in the past....and It is a Interesting topic to be sure. Lets face It...not everyone fits under the same Umbrella...If you will. For me It's about value...bang for your buck as it were. When you look at the prices of gens compared to there rep counterparts...well there's just no denying the strong value that reps provide. Throw In the shity economy and the picture becomes quite clear. For the most part you get a lot for your money when you purchase a rep. I'm not talking about those pos Canal street reps.... but the reps we buy here. Many of the reps we buy here are of excellent quality. If that were not the case I seriously doubt that this forum would exsist. A community strong as this one would not be built on shity reps.

If I need a watch/clothing/car/etc to represent what kind of person I am....well Im In big trouble. The the thing is most people could care less about what kind of watch Im wearing. I too don't pay much attention to whats on someones wrist. Most folks are to busy to notice anyway... while there nose Is pressed up against there Iphone or whatever the fuck there looking at these days. :D

I do understand why the gen owner might cring when his waiter looks to have the same sub or whatever on his wrist that he saved and worked hard for months/ years to obtain. But that gen owner knows what he's got... as well as the waiter. If the waiters sub is a gen....well thats the restaurant that I want to work at. :D

Mike

Party bitches? I bet these bitches know how to party :lol: Dibs on the brunette :wub:

bitches.jpg

PS These are 'replica' Tron girls, but I bet no one would complain that they're not Olivia Wilde or Beau Garrett :whistling: